Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ropes in Mystery?

Ropes in Mystery?

Just curious if anyone has any info. on all the ropes in Mystery?

We did mystery on Sunday and found a ton of ropes fixed in the canyon. There were 5 to 8 long ropes fixed down the steepest parts of the deathgully. Then the first 3 or 4 small drops had ropes set up at the rap stations. The first bigish drop at the start of the slotted narrow section also looked like it had had a rope fixed at the rap station, but it looks like someone had pulled that rope and cut it in half because it was piled up a few feet above the rap station.

After inspecting the ropes on the small drops, and seeing that they looked ok to rap on, we used them on our decent. We were glad that the rope at the bigish drop at the start of the slotted section had been pulled because we were not going to trust any rope left in the canyon on that big of a drop.

Lots of wasted rope left in the canyon, kind of unsightly for a backcountry experience, and I am pretty easy going about seeing bolts and webbing in a canyon. One of the 20 or so foot drops had what looked like a 40 to 60 meter rope rigged at the drop......can't figure out why someone would waste that much rope and not just leave the correct amount of rope for the drop.

Any one know whats up?? Is all this rope rigged to try and keep people in the water course and prevent erosion?? That was are only guess.

We left everything as we found it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Ropes left in Mystery? Where have I seen this before?

That's right. Ask him. Calling Dr. L
    http://www.math.utah.edu/~sfolias/ca...ale/?i=dasboot

I believe that is what some call canyon trash. To my knowledge the NPS would not have placed that there. Therefore, take it or remove it of you desire. (I am rarely of the mind to remove that much junk since I don't want to carry it.) I always wonder if someone is fixing ropes to take people in who probably shouldn't be there in the first place???
    Life is Good

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Lot's of interest lately in descending canyons, leaving fixed ropes, then ascending back out. Mystery wouldn't be my first choice for such an endeavor.
    When we do this we write a note and leave it at the first rappel station, noting our intended action.
    It would ruin someones day to have these ropes pulled. On the other hand, you would think that you would have run into these people if that was what they were doing. Maybe they just went down to the bend and were going to reverse???? If others report these over the next week, they should obviously be pulled, but be careful pulling down someone elses ropes.
    I was there Saturday and these ropes weren't present.

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7
    When we do this we write a note and leave it at the first rappel station, noting our intended action.
    What he said..... a note removes the mystery and concern....

Also a good idea when stashing a rope.... say at the end of Heaps. When doing Heaps we leave a note with the date we expect to return and something along the lines of.... If you take this rope we will die!

I do know of one group in Heaps that had their rope stolen, even with a note attached.

I always wonder if someone is fixing ropes to take people in who probably shouldn't be there in the first place???
    We also thought this because ropes down the deathgully are completely unneccessary. Even if you were planning on comming back up the death gully for some reason you would not need fixed ropes.

I was there Saturday and these ropes weren't present.
    Very interesting. We left the east meas trail and dropped into the canyon around 10:30a.m. on Sunday, so between your visit on Saturday and our visit on Sunday, someone went through a ton of effort to haul around 1,000 to 1,500ft (our best guesstimate) of rope into the canyon.

Safety Concern

I friend of mine led a group down Mystery. During the descent, someone was injured in the death gully. After that, he collected many pieces of rope with the intention of leaving them at the gully. I never heard back so it might have been him leaving the ropes behind, but if might not have. His concern was only for safety. Still, the death gully seems fairly straightforward. Maybe the NPS would appreciate the ropes to avoid soil erosion. You can never guess what those idiots are going to say about any random issue!

1500 ft of rope? Was it climbing rope? If so, holy $moke$!

I am very hesitant to pull ropes that I find, I always think to myself...what if someone needs that rope to ascend back up and I will be trapping them? If someone reported them a week before I would pull them though, unless there was a note.

If it's home depot rope though, I know that they won't be coming back, so snip snip.

I think all of it was climbing rope. It was all very thick diameter rope, all 10mm+ if I remember correctly. I want to say one strand was the black Blue Water assultline static rope that I have seen sold at REI and a few strands looked like PMI EZ Bend Sport 11mm rope. Not 100% sure on all this, but we slightly contemplated pulling a lot of the rope and keeping it cause it looked to be in good shape, but we were affraid someone might be relying on it or comming back for it.

I talked to my friend. It was definitely him that set it up. He'd probably appreciate the ropes at the death gully remaining in place. It really doesn't matter to me though. I'm interested, has anyone ever had a difficult time getting down that gully? I never have, but I could see who some beginners might.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Please explain what your friend "set-up" and why. Death gulley is not a path requiring ropes to descend. What is his timeframe for leaving these in place?
    A little more explanation might clear this up some. Frankly, I'm confused by the logic.

remove the trash. it's things like this that cause the park to freak out and ruin the permit system for the entire community.

Remember how good behavior in cutting down social trails in Spry the park responded by raising the total number of permits available. What the park giveth they can also take away with Mystery.

Remove the trash. I can volunteer the first two weekends in October if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner
    remove the trash. it's things like this that cause the park to freak out and ruin the permit system for the entire community.
    ............x2

I'll help. I can go down the first weekend in October...

We did Englestead on Saturday down and out Orderville. When we reached where Mystery raps into the narrows, there was a group of 6(?) doing the final rappel. They proceeded to proudly tell us that they had just fixed the descent with a hand line of old ropes they brought down for just that reason.

I didn't stick around to chit chat about any other hand lines they may have set.

I do know they were NOT part of the Zion Rendezvous.

Brandt

The last stash of rope is at least 60m long. Cut into two sections, both coiled. If possible who ever removes the TRASH could possible set up some of the excess rope on the Grotto Rappel to replace the old crusty webbing to the anchors. Why not use the rope for something good. Just a thought.

Re: Safety Concern

Gedcook, not a personal attack towards you. Like Kurt, I'm confused by his logic.

Quote Originally Posted by qedcook
    During the descent, someone was injured in the death gully.His concern was only for safety.
    Does he & the group wear a helmet canyoneering? Currious to how saftey minded he is.

Maybe the NPS would appreciate the ropes to avoid soil erosion
    Doubt they would like it. The erosion is a natural set up with the terain. Ropes are not going to solve it. There was a world of difference from my two times doing the cayon. The second time (7 years after the first) there was a defined social trail that avoids the worst of the erosion.

He'd probably appreciate the ropes at the death gully remaining in place
    Who appointed him emperor. Doesn't he know we already have one

I did Mystery today. But only the fun part. Down the entry gully and right back up again with 1100 feet of rope.

Arrived at the trailhead at the same time as two backcountry rangers. Just a coincidence. They did not know about the ropes. We hiked in together. Rangers continued down the canyon and may have pulled more ropes on the way.

Whether or not to pull the rope was not negotiable. Pristine area. Ropes left behind are considered trash.

If anyone feels they need to protect any portion of the gully, it is easy enough to do so with retrievable ropes.
    Rich Carlson, Instructor
    YouTube Channel: CanyonsCrags

Thanks Rich!

Thank you Rich!