Thread: Another Canyon @ The Wedge

Another Canyon @ The Wedge

With the weather cooling off a bit, I just had to get back to the Wedge for some more hiking. It's been 11 months since I was there last, and this time I took my kids. I chose a canyon near the end of the west spur road from the Wedge Overlook, and it turned out to be a nice one.

My first view of the lower part of the canyon (after climbing out of the bottom to bypass a dryfall)

The kids waited at the dryfall for me to get back after looking for a possible route around it

I could only find one way down into the canyon, and it was a steep scramble just below this part

This is just past the steepest part. My oldest son slipped just after taking this photo and slid about 10 feet down before coming to rest against a bush.

Once we reached the bottom of the canyon, there were several pools from the recent rains

Here's a view up the canyon. The first dryfall that we had to bypass is just around the corner to the left.

We stopped here to rest in the shade. It's still a little hot in the Swell this time of year.

Eventually we came to a place where there were a lot of spherical concretions in the Navajo Sandstone. They were similar to moqui marbles, but they're not as hard or iron-rich.

This is near the end of the canyon, where it drops about 450' down to the San Rafael River in the Little Grand Canyon.

Here are some views into the Little Grand Canyon:

This is the view along the canyon during our exit hike

After getting back to the truck, I drove to the end of the spur road and took a photo looking down into the canyon we'd just been in:

The round-trip distance was 2.5 miles and we spent about three hours hiking. In another month, it'll be even better weather for hiking in this area and I've got plans for a few more hikes there.
    Blog | FB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Are the roads to the wedge pretty well marked/signed. Abby and I might go there next month. -R

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barron
    Are the roads to the wedge pretty well marked/signed. Abby and I might go there next month. -R
    Yes, they're fairly well marked. The easiest access is from Castle Dale--just take the highway leading east out of town as it curves to the north, and after a little less than a mile you'll see a turn signed "San Rafael Rec. Access." Just turn east there and stay on the gravel road and you'll eventually come to an intersection with a sign for the Wedge. The roads are all nice hard-packed gravel and suitable for any vehicle.
    Blog | FB