Thread: Mount Olympus with a 6 year old, September 13, 2009

Mount Olympus with a 6 year old, September 13, 2009

Leif and I planned a return trip to the Uintas last weekend but the weather seemed sketch so we stayed closer to home. He's been begging to bag a peak, so we decided to do Mt. Olympus. I've lived in Salt Lake for nine years and never done Olympus, so it seemed like a good fit.

His mother worried that it was too much for him, and I wasn't sure. Either way, trying was better than not.

We were at the trailhead at 9:15 am. Not a lot of pictures going up, just quick camera phone snaps. It was interesting to see Leif's feet hit the steep sections flat, where I take them on my toes due to hamstrings tighter than a, um, well, they're tight.

Leif took a break every hundred yards or so. As much as I was determined to make it to the top, I was willing to turn around anytime he wanted. But he was a superstar. We passed a lot of gasping people on the trail who talked him up and told him how awesome he was. It was like having a puppy. When you have a puppy, everyone talks to the dog without saying a word to you. "You're a trooper" was the most common compliment. He's small for a six year old, and is often mistaken for much younger to his dismay. Leif was a little shy, but by the end warmed up to the few people we saw. Over the course of the day we saw less than twenty people total.

At the saddle we caught up to a couple and their dog and followed them to the summit via an "indirect" route. It was a little iffy, but we made it and so did their dog.

At the top, we had a few minutes before a passing shower to sign, eat a sandwich, and take a few photos. Leif signed in the day planner near our summit date - in hindsight I wish I would have told him to write his age as well.

We carefully picked our way off the summit. the rocks up there became really slippy with the little rain shower.

We took our time getting down, enjoying the views and the cool air. The distance covered and elevation gain were awesome. Leif kept talking about how much smaller everything appeared as we climbed. Leif had brought binoculars and stopped to check out cars, the golf course, and the roof of the Fort Union Target where we shop.

Surfin' on the skree...

Anyone know what these berries are? We only saw this one bush...

By the end of the trail he was dragging me down.

That night he said he was neither tired or sore. I could not say the same.

6.8 miles round trip, 4,200' elevation gain to the 9,026' summit. Start: 9:15am. Summit: 1:45pm. Finish: 6:05pm.

Any suggestions on another peak or two to get in before winter?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That is awesome....

I love to see youngins' in the outdoors and not playing xbox all day long....

Mount Olympus will always have special meaning for me. It was the first big mountian I bagged solo. It was also the first time I had climb Oly. I was 13 y/o and my mom dropped me off at the TH and picked me up in the evening. Looking back on it I can't believe the crap my mom let me do.... my dad was never a problem, he would let me do about anything I wanted....

Cool! I wish more parent s would do this sort of activity with their children!
    RP

Sweeeeeet! What a cool experience for both you and your son! I invited my son to do that hike with me last saturday, but he had a committment to finish a job, so I went up by myself. I had never done that hike before and I was surprised how steep the trail can get. Your son looked as though he truly enjoyed the entire outing! Good going man (and boy)!

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Grandger is another great peak to do. Not as hard as Olympus though.

Awesome man! I love getting my kid out into the wilderness.

Nice one man! i love to see little guys getting out! Good trip report. I was gonna say that tree is mulberries, but then I googled it and they are not mulberries, haha. My mom has one planted at her house and the birds love to eat them though.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.