Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Canyoneering Book

Canyoneering Book

Anybody seen this book yet? http://tinyurl.com/l9n6ee Just curious.

Mike C.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Product Description
    Canyoneering is not a sport to be taken lightly. The technical descent of a canyon with swift moving water, keeper potholes, and/or committing slots completed by a team of individuals is a complex mental and physical challenge. Canyoneering: Anchors and Basic Rope Systems shows the reader an informative and entertaining look at the basics of the sport while explaining some of the safest descent methods known to the industry. The occasional personal accounts and examples lend further proof to the experience level and well thought-out systems of the authors. These WCCM certified methods will only help to add to your personal canyoneering skillsets leading to safer and more efficient canyon descents. Topics covered in this volume include:

I do have a legitimate question.....

What exactly is the [i][b]

Message from an Insider

I guess it's time lose my Bogley virginity. I'm a little nervous so some hand holding would help...

I'll keep the answer fairly succinct and let others draw personal conclusions....

The WCCM refers to a set of procedures that we suggest for others to follow while participating in the sport of canyoneering. It refers to a multitude of options including rappel methods, rescue methods, clothing options, team interactions and movements, expedition planning, and debriefs.

It originated as a way to distinguish ATS as an individual entity and assign a name to our customs in relation to the sport. Our company extends into many more sectors than canyoneering so rather than referring to individuals and outside companies as ATS-certified (which would be really broad-based) we developed a canyoneering specific certification.

Any questions/comments on the sideband are more than welcome. I don't have regular internet access (40 weeks away from the office last year!), but try to get to emails when I can. Thanks!

Here's how the founder of WCCM, Darren Jeffrey, described it:

"In the late 1990's, a new method for Canyoning arose along the
    Rich Carlson, Instructor
    YouTube Channel: CanyonsCrags

West side, east side, Notorious BIG, 2pac...

All very confusing, who did what, where, and when...

Yuck yuck yuck...

-Brian in SLC

Re: Message from an Insider

Quote Originally Posted by travis
    The WCCM refers to a set of procedures that we suggest for others to follow while participating in the sport of canyoneering. It refers to a multitude of options including rappel methods, rescue methods, clothing options, team interactions and movements, expedition planning, and debriefs.

It originated as a way to distinguish ATS as an individual entity and assign a name to our customs in relation to the sport. Our company extends into many more sectors than canyoneering so rather than referring to individuals and outside companies as ATS-certified (which would be really broad-based) we developed a canyoneering specific certification.
    Thanks Travis, that was exactly the type of answer I was looking for.

Always nice to get info direct from the horses mouth.....

And welcome to Bogley.

Bogley BigShot

I guess it's time lose my Bogley virginity. I'm a little nervous so some hand holding would help...

I'll keep the answer fairly succinct and let others draw personal conclusions....

Any questions/comments on the sideband are more than welcome. I don't have regular internet access (40 weeks away from the office last year!), but try to get to emails when I can. Thanks!
    Everyone is nice here... no need to be afraid.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Travis -

looks like a good effort. Are you wholesaling this directly? Or is it available through another press or retailer?

Tom

Bump

When this thread first began the book was not yet available so I thought I'd give it a bump now that you can actually get your hands on a copy..... If someone has the book posting a short review and maybe a table of contents on Bogley would be appreciated.

As long as nobody tries taking credit for the Midwest Canyoneering Method (MWCM) that I'm pioneering. It's currently the most popular system of protocols for canyons in Kansas, Nebraska, and Oklahoma, and we're gaining lots of ground in Iowa.

"Subway" section in typical Kansas canyon

Natural anchor in South Dakota

Class C Canyon in Iowa
    You May All Go To Hell And I Will Go To Texas

I still haven't read the book.... but I did see the video....

And I missed the "Midwest Canyoneering Method" earlier.... pretty dang funny... I particularly like the Subway.

That was an odd video. Didn't know if that was canyoneering or astronomy?

As for the Midwest Canyoneering Method, I missed that too. But to appropriately reply,

Life is Good

Just dropped $30 at amazon to learn about the WCCM.

My book showed up today. Learned a few new things. If someone wants to send me say $25 gladly pass it on. They have a retrievable system like my washer retrievable concept, they call it Slick Draw. 90% of it is on anchors with alot about the strengths of the equip.

Mark

From what I've heard, they are much more focused on class C stuff... more along the lines of Euro "canyoning". I guess you have to be when the sierras are you testing ground = always moving water :P

I'd like to pick that book up from you, Mark. I think it'd be a great way to learn more about how people outside of utahs typical class B stuff have learned to deal with moving water on a more tested basis.

I live in SLC... lemme know if you are ever down in the area.
    Thanks,
    Peter
    Last edited by oval; 04-23-2010 at 01:30 PM. Reason: spelling

The only comment I remember about Class C was whether to use an autoblock in moving water. It is a very basic book. Mainly about anchors. My neighbor wants to read it so Ill have to hold off on giving it up yet. IMO Dave Blacks book is a better all around introduction to Canyoneering.

Mark

Ah, well thanks Mark, I was hoping it would be more focused on class C stuff... I'm pretty good on the other stuff. Thanks for the feedback :D

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    My book showed up today. Learned a few new things. If someone wants to send me say $25 gladly pass it on. They have a retrievable system like my washer retrievable concept, they call it Slick Draw. 90% of it is on anchors with alot about the strengths of the equip.

Mark
    Yeah, uh.................

Got a copy from Amazon today. WOW! That is one seriously BAD book, and I mean bad bad, not good bad. It's not just 'a few errors', the authors lack a basic understanding of gear and physics.

Example: Let's start with page 4 - the first page with content.

"If I weigh 200 lbs. and my stick anchor can only hold 200 lbs., I have a 1:1 margin".

This is not the way the word 'margin' is usually used. Normally, this would be described as having ZERO margin. Margin is the difference between the load and the strength, not the ratio of the load and the strength. (OK, maybe I am just an english-language nazi here, but we use language to communicate things, and a printed book is an example of a formal communication device where, unlike casual conversation and internet forums, should, perhaps, maybe, actually use words correctly).

next: A chart of "Gear Strength".

Harness: 5600 lbs

There is a standard for harnesses, which all harnesses sold meet (with certain exceptions in the S&M part of the industry) and that standard is 15 kN = 3372 lb-f. There's a good reason that there is no point in making harnesses stronger - the human body is quite a bit weaker than the 15 kN standard. Some harnesses MAY be stronger, but that extra strength does not make you safer.

Etc. These two pages and the discussion of Safe Working Load and safety margins is... confused.

OK, yes, he has a chart of ropes, and FAILS to include the Imlay Canyon Gear ropes. I can't feel affection for the book as a result of this omission. But really, I am a climbing/canyoneering equipment engineer, and take offense at explanations of all this stuff that is incoherent, incorrect and just plain crazy!!!

So, Mark, whatever you 'learned' from that book, 'unlearn' it right away, because it is probably not correct.

Tom
    Last edited by ratagonia; 05-07-2010 at 09:43 AM. Reason: ravings about language correctness should not have typos.

My neighbor brought my copy back over the other night and stated that was the most confusing book he had ever read. Needless to say he was dissappointed.
    But now that Tom has given it such a raving review I will have to lower the price. Say $15.00.

Mark