Thread: Stuck Truck at 13,900 feet

Stuck Truck at 13,900 feet

Oops.

http://www.kdvr.com/news/kdvr-stuck-...5.photogallery

I wonder how much it would cost to tow it out of there? It's been there almost a week.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I'm sure it's gone now. That's an easy recovery with some vehicles and winches.

Damn stock tires

Trucks gone now. If you need a front bumper its still there.
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

Trucks gone now. If you need a front bumper its still there.
    Yep.

If you're going to tow the truck out though, why leave the bumper?

Because it gives Treehuggers something to whine about

Quote Originally Posted by JP
    True, but still what a Dumb a** for going up there.....just more fuel for them.
    livinutoutdoors.com
    Don't talk unless you can improve the silence.
    The trout do not rise in the cemetery, so you better do your fishing while you are still alive. SGH

Only tree huggers? That wasn't the point of my comment or post.

So you agree with leaving things like truck bumpers behind? I assume you are just joking. I also assume that most "non-tree huggers" would say they should have taken it with them too. If you are curious, it wasn't a wilderness area at all; it was a section of private land land who's owner who allows hikers to use the trail (and vehicles on some nearby routes). Tree-hugging isn't relevant here as it was private land and wasn't the focus of my post.

In fact, the land owners even opening the place to the public just happened on June 1 of this year and is conditional on hikers staying on the trails and the vehicles staying on the roads, but that's a whole different topic.

I just thought the story would be interesting for the 4X4 thread and was wondering how much it would cost to get a vehicle towed off a place like that. I wonder what the insurance company would say? Sounds like a bad place to get stuck!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, here is the story about the truck from someone who was there if anyone is interested:

A buddy and I were hiking doing the final run from Cameron to Bross when we saw what looked like a truck coming towards us. As we got closer to each other, it turned out to be a older teenager on a brand new dirt bike with his dad following in his brand new truck.

We got to the part where the trail kinda takes a little dip and gets skinnier (for about 10 feet) which was where we crossed paths with the oncoming idiots. My buddy and I sat down to grab a drink and watch the entertainment as we were shocked that this guy in the truck was actually attempting this. The dirt biker obviously wasn't too experienced because he could barely work the clutch and didn't have much control over the bike. The dirt bike's rear tire started slipping as he tried to get grip, but his rear end slid off the trail and he dug himself a rut. He shut off the bike and got off and had to lift the rear end out of the rocks to get it back onto stable ground. Meanwhile, the Dad is sitting in the truck with two other small kids watching his son getting stuck. This should have been a good indication that it might be more difficult to get your truck out of a situation like this than it is for a dirt bike.

Anyway, the dirt bike kept going up the trail towards Cameron and Dad came trucking right behind. He got to the dip in the trail and had the truck on 2 tires; front right and back left with a nice twist in his frame. He had to back up 2 times and finnally gunned it to get past this point. Right after the dip he was a little out of control given the power his big truck just unleashed on the mountain, and his truck began to tilt towards the right, ie down the mountain. I could see the left side springs extending and then his truck got on the two right wheels with the left wheels just above the ground. I tried to get my camera out fast, but he quickly took action and attempted to correct the situation by driving more uphill, and that's when his back right tire started spinning and the rear end went off the trail. We're sitting about 10 feet away from all this (on the uphill side of course) so we had an awesome viewpoint.

At this point we realized that this guy is not going to give up and we really didn't want to be involved in his rescue attempt, so we headed on. We kept looking back and the guy kept trying to get all his tires back on the trail, but all the loose rock wasn't helping and he kept sliding down.

Anyway, enjoy the pictures!

http://14ers.com/phpBB3/download/file.php?id=3416

http://14ers.com/phpBB3/download/file.php?id=3415

http://14ers.com/phpBB3/download/file.php?id=3414

It brings up another interesting point though. Would you stop and help the guy? I guess I would try or at least offer to help him get his kids down. I wonder how they did get off the mountain? Must have walked.

My comment worked

It brings up another interesting point though. Would you stop and help the guy? I guess I would try or at least offer to help him get his kids down. I wonder how they did get off the mountain? Must have walked.
    Sure, I'd offer help to a guy with or without kids, but there'd be a point where I'd just offer him a ride down. I wonder if he called AAA?

Quote Originally Posted by jimflint1
    Sure, I'd offer help to a guy with or without kids
    X2