Thread: Mount Nebo: TR

Mount Nebo: TR

Mount Nebo
    Highpoint of Utah County
    Highpoint of Wasatch Range
    Ultra Prominent Peak with 5,488' of prominence (39/58 in lower 48 states)
    11,928'

We took the Nebo loop road out of Payson. We turned into Monument Trail TH (Nebo Bench Trail), and took the Mona Pole road about .30 mile to the trailhead.

We camped here for the night, and while relaxing and eating dinner, two hikers came off the trail. They had summitted with a 20 month old, and a 5 month old. I would be impressed later, as I did the scramble up to the peak. WOW.

We hit the sack, and set our alarms for 05:30. I had a hard time falling asleep, and kept tossing and turning through most of the night. Around 11:30, my phone got enough reception to sent a text through, which didn't help much, and just as I was falling asleep around midnight, a coyote started yipping. Not to mention the 'slow elk' mooing all night...

Anyways, we hit the trail at 6:45 and was on top at 11:30 ish. The trail isn't too bad until the last mile or so, when you climb 1300'.

Here are some pics...

Nebo (left of center) from the trailhead.

Once you get on the ridge, She is nearly always watching.

Broken toothpicks

Before you get to this saddle, you lose some elevation. From here on out, it is a scramble straight up.

The straightest route between two points...

Watching the freeway from the summit.

The trail is pretty well defined, and there is some minor class 3 scrambling.

Google Earth view of our route

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Great TR Mtnman. This is a great hike, I did it last year and really enjoyed it. How many peaks to go?
    RP

Those are some nice pics.

I was hoping to get to that this year. Maybe next. Friends keep badgering me about doing these silly little 100 mile bicycle rides. I need to tell them to try something challenging.

This year I made plans and reserved a campsite for a few friends to climb Timp instead. They all took one look at the forecast and bailed. I never made it up due to the same forecast but rode the loop and had a lot of fun exploring other places just the same.

Whatever happened to your plans for Kings Peak and several nearby summits over ,what was it again, 4 days?
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...

Quote Originally Posted by rwpontius
    Great TR Mtnman. This is a great hike, I did it last year and really enjoyed it. How many peaks to go?
    RP
    Hey, thanks! I have two more to go. Eccentric Peak (I didn't summit last time 'cause I was throwing up) and Willard Peak.

Quote Originally Posted by cachehiker
    Whatever happened to your plans for Kings Peak and several nearby summits over ,what was it again, 4 days?
    The weather forcast, we bailed. Next year, though. Unless we go to the Wind Rivers...

I want to do Timp next summer... It is, after all a prominent peak!
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnman1830
    Next year, though. Unless we go to the Wind Rivers...
    Look me up when you're picking a date. I can't say I'm an experienced multi-day backpacker (mainly overnighters) but I have 99% the necessary gear, never seem to run out of gas, and need an excuse to buy a decent pack that's big enough for multi-day outings.

The Bike MS weekend (generally the last weekend in June) is the only one I have booked in advance. I've had too many friends diagnosed with MS to skip that one.
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...