Thread: Southern Utah hiking, November / December?

Southern Utah hiking, November / December?

I'm thinking of coming back to southern Utah perhaps in November or early December for some more hiking.

I usually go over Christmas (like last year) but I can't arrange it this year.

Any suggestions/recommendations to avoid late autumn crowds & inclement weather? From the times above, which might be better to avoid rain? What's camping like in late autumn/early winter? Too cold?

I'll be renting a 4x4 to access routes like the hole-in-the-rock (which was too snow-bound for me last Christmas)...will this likely be accessible in November?

Thanks for your help, guys.

Rob

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Any suggestions/recommendations to avoid late autumn crowds & inclement weather?
    Fall isn't usually crowded except at the few normal crowded hikes (places like Angels Landing, Delicate Arch, Little Widhorse, Coyote Gulch, etc, etc). Most other places outside the normal tourist locations aren't crowded.

From the times above, which might be better to avoid rain?
    It can rain any time of year, but usually Fall is a good time to go. A couple of years ago they had some huge floods in October, but usually Fall is good.

What's camping like in late autumn/early winter? Too cold?

It's never too cold to camp, but temperatures at night will most likely be below freezing. In November night temps can range anywhere from lot teens to in the 40's or even cooler or warmer.

I'll be renting a 4x4 to access routes like the hole-in-the-rock (which was too snow-bound for me last Christmas)...will this likely be accessible in November?
    Hole in the Rock is usually open in November. Unless there is a freak storm I would count on it being open. Only the last section is very rough where a 4X4 should be needed, at least on the West side of Powell (the Hole in the Rock on the east side of Powell is a differnt road and is much rougher).

Thanks for your generous reply, Scott.

We often spend Thanksgiving weekend in Moab. Usually it's sweatshirts and light jackets during the day, dry, cheap rates, no crowds.... perfect time of year for Moab...

One down side is short daylight hours....

What is this "camping" of which you speak of....

Usually it's sweatshirts and light jackets during the day, dry, cheap rates
    Was cheap. Most hotels don't discount until December 1 any more. Only a few years ago it was November 1.

Camped in the Zion area last year November 18 thru 23. Absolutely gorgeous weather. Hoping for a repeat this year.

Five years earlier on another November week trip I experienced just one night and a half day of rain. Not so bad except that a prolonged rain can make the dirt roads slick and potentially impassable which, for example, the road to Water Canyon was.