Thread: Cable Canyon & San Rafael Swell / Reef conditions?

Cable Canyon & San Rafael Swell / Reef conditions?

We're headed for the San Rafael Reef this weekend and planning to visit a couple canyons for the first time. Any info on road conditions as well as updates on beta would be appreciated.
    We're looking at Cable Canyon, Quandary, Eardley and/or The Squeeze

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I don't know if anyone has been in there in a bit. I asked the same question last week:
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18434

Didn't get anything. My research shows not much rainfall in there for the past 60 days. Likely to be pretty dry (for the swell), which will still likely require wetsuits.

I'll have a group near the same area. Maybe we'll cross paths. My planned itinerary:
    Friday: Corral and Horse Heaven
    Sat: Cable
    Sun: Eardley
    Mon: Zero Gravity

Maybe see you there!
    A.J.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ
    I don't know if anyone has been in there in a bit. I asked the same question last week:
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18434

Didn't get anything. My research shows not much rainfall in there for the past 60 days. Likely to be pretty dry (for the swell), which will still likely require wetsuits.

I'll have a group near the same area. Maybe we'll cross paths. My planned itinerary:
    Friday: Corral and Horse Heaven
    Sat: Cable
    Sun: Eardley
    Mon: Zero Gravity

Maybe see you there!
    A.J.
    Be sure to bring the spray Olive Oil, 'cause all y'alls is gonna FRY!!!

T

Our Schedule

We'll be in Cable Canyon on Friday and Eardley on Sat. If you want an update on Cable conditions, try my cell Friday afternoon / evening 801-824-7613. We will be in Hanksville after we get done with the canyon.

Otherwise, pull us out of a pothole if we're still there on Saturday...

It was definitely warm, but a nice breeze over the weekend, as well as the occasional water to cool off in made it bearable. Another Labor Day weekend without running into any others also made it very worthwhile...

Heli, glad we didn't have to yank you out of any potholes. How did you like the canyon? I thought it was a great time...

How were the water levels? Wetsuit for sure? Shorty wetsuit ok?

Planning Eardley/zero g/quandary/knotted rope

Quote Originally Posted by MSchasch
    How were the water levels? Wetsuit for sure? Shorty wetsuit ok?

Planning Eardley/zero g/quandary/knotted rope
    We didn't use a wetsuit in any of the canyons we did. However, it was 90-ish degrees outside. Cable was pretty dry. Corral and Horse Heaven were very dry. Zero was the lowest water I had seen.

Just make sure you know your cold water tolerance, as well as check the previous weather history before making your wetsuit decision...

Hope that helps,
    A.J.

Insights

AJ,
    Any pictures you could post of Coral/H. Haven Canyon Loop? Time? How about that last big rappel in Coral? Good anchor?

Thanks,
    Mike

Re: Insights

Quote Originally Posted by MPH
    AJ,
    Any pictures you could post of Coral/H. Haven Canyon Loop? Time? How about that last big rappel in Coral? Good anchor?

Thanks,
    Mike
    I'll do a TR with pics eventually. Need to catch up again; especially with a large Sweden/Norway trip before the canyon trip. I usually put a post on conditions after I get back, and then a TR with pics when I can get to it.

Time. Hmm. I think it was around 12 hours R/T; including doing the Corral tech section that most bypass.

The last rap has an anchor that could stand to have the webbing replaced (and I equalized that with a short piece around a choke.) Since I didn't think that canyon got a lot of traffic (didn't look like it, and it's not in Kelsey's 2nd edition) I didn't worry about resetting all the webbing.

It's a great loop; very pretty. Not super technical; even the tech section people usually skip isn't that bad. (Still will want to know how to use potshots or similar.)

Hope that helps,
    A.J.