Thread: Steep Canyon to Steam Mill

Steep Canyon to Steam Mill

I saw this posted on UMB so I decided to ride it yesterday and totally loved it. I much preferred the ride from Steep Canyon to Steam Mill Canyon to the down hill of Steam Mill.

I parked at the parking area 100 yards or so off of the highway at Franklin Basin. Then it is 3.3 miles up the road to the turn to Steep Canyon. This is a nice ride to warm up the legs. Then 1.2 miles up Steep Canyon to the turnoff to start the single track. It looks like this.

Head straight south. From here to Steam Mill was my favorite part of the ride. Challenging for me. Lots of roots to navigate over and the lovely smell of pines. This is what I imagine mountain biking was at it's infancy. Here's a few shots.

After you get out of this first part of trees and into the first opening it's tough to find the right trail. Just as it opens up there is a fork in the trail. Do not go right. Hang left. Right takes you to a trail that peters out and goes into the trees. A cow trail I believe to get to the shade.

A short distance down is another fork. Hang right. This will take you towards the Yurt. Another short distance is another fork. Hard to see. Hang right. If you make it to the yurt you went to far. This part of the trail is thin and lots of sagebrush hitting the legs and wheels. It took me at least half an hour to find the right trail here.

Here's the yurt.

The next part of the trail is pretty sweet. More of same as the above pics through the trees. Lots of root and some rock gardens. The trail will open up and heads southwesterly to Steam Mill.

This will take you to the bottom by the creek. There is a small fork at the bottom. Right takes you up canyon but eventually disappears. Take the left and it will take you to the main trail. Left at the main trail will take you down right will take you across the creek to the old boiler and the main trail up to the lake.

Next time I ride this I am heading to the lake and beyond. I think you can actually make it all the way over to White Pine lake. That would be sweeeet.

Heading down Steam Mill is an adventure for sure. Massive rock gardens with some pretty big rocks and several tree crossings. If you follow the "newer" portions of the trail you can avoid some of the rock gardens and trees. Quite challenging. I had a lot of fun.

Here is a map. I lost signal when I laid my bike down to search for the right fork by the yurt and my gps quit tracking. I didn't notice it until close to Steam Mill but this shows the basics. If you look closely where I lost signal you can the confusing multiple fork area. Unfortunately this does not show the correct fork to take because I lost signal before I found it. But you can see it on the USGS map. So if you can get a copy of the USGS Quad map Tonys Grove area you can see the trails clearly.

I only ran into one person (a lady hiking) on this trail despite it being during the bow hunt. All hunters I saw were riding around in their trucks or on 4 wheelers on the roads. I can't believe how lazy hunters have gotten these days. Made for a real nice day of solitary riding though.

This is going on my list of favorite rides.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I can't believe that you were up there doing that while I was at a family reunion this Saturday.

Looks like an awesome ride. I'm going to have to check that one out one of these days. How many miles did you end up riding? How long did it take?

I should have pm'd you to see if you wanted to go. That would have been fun.

I really enjoyed this ride. A lot! I rode about 14 miles. It's closer to 11 if you don't get lost and go site seeing. It'd probably be a two hour or so ride if you just rode it without much stopping. I'll be going again in about two weeks maybe three. I'll let you know when I go if you want.

The rock gardens in Steam Mill are brutal. I'm still puckering. My camera batteries died or I would have had some video of it. Pretty fun stuff though. I was quite proud of some of the stuff I was able to ride. Some of it, I have to admit, I walked because I was to scared to try it. Maybe next time.

We're going to give this a shot tomorrow afternoon if you are interested in joining us......

Quote Originally Posted by neilether
    We're going to give this a shot tomorrow afternoon if you are interested in joining us......
    Blast this 9-5 job of mine. I won't be able to make it tomorrow. I'm hoping to get out this Saturday morning early to go for a longer ride. though. I'm considering the Leatham Hollow to Richard's Hollow loop that I did last year. I need to make it a longer one to try to get ready for Sundance on the 12th.

If anyone is interested in this one, let me know. Even if you don't want to ride all of it, we could meet at the top of Richard's and ride from there.

Quote Originally Posted by devo_stevo
    Quote Originally Posted by neilether
    Blast this 9-5 job of mine. I won't be able to make it tomorrow. I'm hoping to get out this Saturday morning early to go for a longer ride. though. I'm considering the Leatham Hollow to Richard's Hollow loop that I did last year. I need to make it a longer one to try to get ready for Sundance on the 12th.

If anyone is interested in this one, let me know. Even if you don't want to ride all of it, we could meet at the top of Richard's and ride from there.
    I too have a hard time with evening rides. Work has really picked up this last month. I'm working 14 hour days right now just to try to keep up. No complaints though. I appreciate the work for sure. I would sure love to go ride this Steep to Steam ride again tomorrow though.

I would also like to do this Leatham to Richards ride with you. Although there is no way I could keep up with you. I would need many a rest and food stops me thinks. I remember checking into this after you posted this last year. Looks tough. It being Labor Day weekend I have plans with the wife to go to Park City. I may try to do this ride though before the snow falls this year.

Good luck with Sundance.!

Quote Originally Posted by devo_stevo
    Blast this 9-5 job of mine.
    +1.

I'm going to miss tonight's recovery ride 'cause I can't get out of here in time to get changed. 5:30-6PM rides aren't that hard to make until the busy season rolls around in July though.
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...