Thread: Current/forecast conditions @ Zion Narrows - 8/26/2009?

Current/forecast conditions @ Zion Narrows - 8/26/2009?

My wife and I are canyoning newbs and are planning our first trip to Zion, leaving this Saturday, getting in on Monday (from Bay ARea). We have been reading up on the hiking and want to try our hand at the Narrows - just doing it as an in/out, rather than the full 16 miles.

Since we've never done wet canyoning before I'm a bit concerned about whether our gear will be ok for current conditions - I understand the flow rate changes a lot through the year - thought I'd see if anyone can provide an update, and tell me if you think we're going at this the right way. Mainly wondering how others have fared doing this hike with basic hiking boots.

Thought was to take park shuttle to Temple of Sinawa, hike in 2-3 hours or so, then turn around, hike back out, and take shuttle back to Zion Lodge.

For gear we'll each have a trekking pole, basic hiking boots (waterproof - although in this case that could work against us...), camelback/water bottles, lunch, waterproof clothes bag in our pack, and basically mentally prepared to get wet.

Thanks for any thoughts.
    -Tom

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Re: Current/forecast conditions @ Zion Narrows - 8/26/2009?

Quote Originally Posted by tman9999
    My wife and I are canyoning newbs and are planning our first trip to Zion, leaving this Saturday, getting in on Monday (from Bay ARea). We have been reading up on the hiking and want to try our hand at the Narrows - just doing it as an in/out, rather than the full 16 miles.

Since we've never done wet canyoning before I'm a bit concerned about whether our gear will be ok for current conditions - I understand the flow rate changes a lot through the year - thought I'd see if anyone can provide an update, and tell me if you think we're going at this the right way. Mainly wondering how others have fared doing this hike with basic hiking boots.

Thought was to take park shuttle to Temple of Sinawa, hike in 2-3 hours or so, then turn around, hike back out, and take shuttle back to Zion Lodge.

For gear we'll each have a trekking pole, basic hiking boots (waterproof - although in this case that could work against us...), camelback/water bottles, lunch, waterproof clothes bag in our pack, and basically mentally prepared to get wet.

Thanks for any thoughts.
    -Tom
    The water level at the moment is quite low and, unless a hurricane heads this way, is unlikely to change in the next couple of weeks. Hiking up the Narrows, you are unlikely to find water over waist deep unless you really try.

I recommend carrying TWO hiking poles each. Hiking boots will be OK, with the realization they will be wet all day. HEAVY hiking socks (wool and synthetic) will work just fine. You will want a drybag, and you will want a fleece sweater in case you get chilled. Food and water.

Quick-drying shorts and quick-drying underwear will improve your comfort. If you trip and fall over at any point, you will want your camera to be carefully stowed in a drybag.

Your footwear is mainly to protect your feet from getting beat up by hiking among the lava-boulders that are the streambed. The poles help this as when your foot finds uneven ground under the murky water, you can put weight on the poles to keep from stumbling.

Personally, I recommend taking it slow and devoting as much time to the day as possible. An early start will get you in ahead of the crowds.

Tom

IMHO.... Hiking boots, particularly waterproof hiking boots are the worst possiable option for Narrows footwear.

A lot of the day you will be hiking in ankle to knee deep water and hiking boots do not work well. They fill with water and weight a ton. I find a good running shoe or cross training shoe to work the best (unless you want to rent or buy specilized canyoneering shoes).

Zion Narrows Info:
    http://climb-utah.com/Zion/narrows.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    IMHO.... Hiking boots, particularly waterproof hiking boots are the worst possiable option for Narrows footwear.

A lot of the day you will be hiking in ankle to knee deep water and hiking boots do not work well. They fill with water and weight a ton. I find a good running shoe or cross training shoe to work the best (unless you want to rent or buy specilized canyoneering shoes).

Zion Narrows Info:
    http://climb-utah.com/Zion/narrows.htm
    http://www.zionadventures.com/index....=348&Itemid=26

Yeah, true. The problem is, most people where they're (that's for you, Shane) running shoes with a thinnish sock, and it does not provide much padding to protect the feet.

The specialized shoes work really well, and you don't muck up your own shoes. Memory is not my strong suit, but as I recall we (as I work for Zion Adventures) rents the summer package (shoes, Neoprene socks and hiking staff) for 19$ a day.

Tom

Thanks for the input!

Tom - just sent an email via your website - wondering if there is any need to reserve some boots? We're traveling by motorcycle, so if we know we can rent the right gear there it'll save us a bunch of space. Thanks!
    -Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tman9999
    Thanks for the input!

Tom - just sent an email via your website - wondering if there is any need to reserve some boots? We're traveling by motorcycle, so if we know we can rent the right gear there it'll save us a bunch of space. Thanks!
    -Tom
    We sell through on big days in the summer. Like over labor day weekend. Certainly safer to reserve.

Tom

Blog Entries
    Tom in Cali,

My 3 friends and I hiked the full narrows (for our second time) last Sat from the Chamberlain ranch to the exit in 8 1/2hrs. It was a long hike, with short breaks. The current CFS on Sat was about 45cfs (below normal the desk said). We were crossing the stream a lot and hugging the canyon walls (made for faster passage). We didn't have any poles, but definitely are must for the narrows. You can buy some at the Zion Adventure Company in Springdale, or just find a tree branch.

You said you didn't want to do the full 16-miles. My suggestion would be to hike from the bottom (temple of Sinawava) to either Big Springs (about 4miles one-way) or as far as you can up Orderville Gulch. But along the way, about 1/4 - 1/2 mile up, you will come across Mystery Falls. Check out the canyoneers rappel from here in the mid-afternoon (usually when they get done) if you are in that area.

Other than that, there's no easy path and its fun whichever path you take.

Oh, and to add what Shane said, some sort of sportshoe will work (unless you have bad ankles, and then if you have bad ankles - river walking is out of the question) BUT depending on how long you plan to stay in the water - I would definitely invest in some Neoprene socks! ALWAYS a must in Water. They add more support to the shoe, making it more snug, and they keep your feet warm (think wetsuit, per se). You can either buy them new or used from Zion Adventure Group or you can buy them from Target or Walmart in St. George for under $20 (new) and $5-10 used.

Here's another vote for some sort of boots. I buy some used boots for my water hikes as I have the flattest feet known to man and generally need my orthotics and more support than most water shoes have. I've backpacked about 38 miles along the Escalante River, about 50+ miles in a 7 day 66 mile trip along the forks of the Gila in New Mexico in boots. And yeah, they were wet the entire time. I found some men's Salomon boots that were pretty light weight synthetic material actually for mountaineering I wear. If the water is freezing I alternate wool, neo socks and have it made.

The only problem I've had is my boots froze solid two mornings along the Gila and I couldn't get my foot in them. Had to dunk them in the water, then work them over with a rock to get them to soften up.

For a short hike like you're doing I would say boots would be fine.
    You can rest when you're dead

I've done the Narrows a few times and for the $19.00 I'd rent the shoes and hiking stick. The feet are what will take a beating and there's no reason to be uncomfortable.

Try to go early, real early, and at least avoid the crowds going in.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Not meaning to start a major debate..... but I find it really interesting that some of you would prefer a sturdy hiking boot over an athletic shoe for hiking the Narrows.

My wife prefer's Teva's, which I hate and advise highly against.

I hiked a mile or so in the Narrows years ago in tennis shoes ( my parents were waiting on me) and it sucked. I think mainly because I was in a hurry to get down and back.
    You can rest when you're dead

Ankle support is a big deal for me in the narrows. The canyoneers give you the non water loggyness of tennis shoes with the support of the ankle. I am casting another vote that you guys get the canyoneers at ZAC. Well worth it IMO.

Ride safe!
    The man thong is wrong.

i hiked the narrows in my tevas and was pretty happy. my friend wore his sneakers and had to keep stopping to get the small pebbles and such out, a similar problem to wearing Keens. Shoes would protect your toes more, but seem heavier and sluggish.
    For me, the biggest thing was the hiking poles, THEY made a huge difference and the extra stability i had with them made the hike waaaaaay more pleasant.

I like boots in water like the Narrows because of the support, but also for the ankle protection, from getting clunked against the rocks. Canyoneers were great when I rented them for the Narrows. It's an excellent package, with stick and neo sox.

I've hiked in water with hiking boots, approach shoes, and Tevas, all with neoprene socks, and Tevas were OK, all cinched up, but not great. Having a 50+ pound pack on didn't help, though...

i gotta say the one downside to wearing the tevas was occasionally bumping my toes on the rocks. other than that, i didn't mind them. i also only had a light pack, i didn't have a 50+ lb pack...:)

I prefer a lightweight shoe for water hikes. I don't need the ankle support, however I do bash the outsides of my ankles occasionally into rocks and shrug it off. It is important to wear good socks. Rocks in the shoes is an intermittent problem.

If your shoes are not made for water hiking, you may have no choice but to throw them away when you are done.

Rent the shoes. Have done it tooooooo many times in running shoes. Rented the shoes last time they rule. Support and Sticky rubber.

Mark