Thread: Delano Peak: TR

Delano Peak: TR

The last two days, we have bagged Mount Ellen, Mount Ellen Peak, and Mine Camp Peak. We made really good time, and decided to give Delano peak a go.

We traveled from Richfield to Beaver, and went up to Big John Flat. We continued up the road a bit further and parked at Poison Spring, where Delano Peak is only 1.5 miles away.

Delano is a 'Two-fer", the highpoints of both Beaver and Piute counties sitting at 12,173'

We followed the valley up to the saddle, where we spotted about a dozen mountain goats.

Up the valley a bit, we decided to change our route and go up to the ridge through a break in the cliffs. It was a scramble, but the kids did okay, enjoying climbing up the talus.

Once we were up on the ridge, it was easier, not being as steep, and our speed picked up.

It wasn't to long before we could see the summit.

Kory is getting the summit register. Behind him is the ski resort where the book 'High in Utah' tells you where to start the 12 mile hike.

On the way down, we decided to circle around and take our origional plan down. On our way down, we stopped to let the kids play in the snow. How often can you play in snow, in the middle of August?

The break in the cliffs was our route up to the ridge.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

as alway. killer TR

Great report and pictures tell it all. We were in that area on Sat and the wind was howling. Lots of hunters out, too.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Sweet man. Your boy looks like he was having a blast. Very cool!

Great TR and excellent information. Delano has been on my list for several years and your TR will help me make it real.
    RP

Delano is a very good trail. But for a more challenging hike in that same area i would try the Peaks of Mt. Belknap to Mt. Baldy. I am part of the Trails Crew for the Beaver Ranger District on the Fishlake National Forest. And of the 100 of miles of trails on this district those two peaks are the most rewarding. I hiked Belknap and Baldy on July 24, 2009 in under 6 hours.

Delano is a very good trail. But for a more challenging hike in that same area i would try the Peaks of Mt. Belknap to Mt. Baldy. I am part of the Trails Crew for the Beaver Ranger District on the Fishlake National Forest. And of the 100 of miles of trails on this district those two peaks are the most rewarding. I hiked Belknap and Baldy on July 24, 2009 in under 6 hours.