Thread: Adams Canyon OK for kids?

Adams Canyon OK for kids?

Hey, so I want to take my 2yo boy up to Adams Canyon to see the falls. I'll be bringing the child carrier backpack, but he wants to walk from time to time.

How's the terrain? I'm sure it's a pretty noticeable trail, but is it hard for kids?

My boy did pretty good on the Taylor Canyon trail yesterday:
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18266

There were some mildly rugged parts on the trail, and I just held his hand when he was out of the pack.

Are there a lot of low trees where he'd get snagged being in my pack?

Oh, and how far is it?

Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Adams Canyon OK for kids?

I didn't take my GPS but I'd guess it's about two miles to the lowest falls. I'd worry about early spring runoff but I think you're fine getting to that point at this time of year. After that it gets steeper and more exposed to the rushing water so it all depends upon your comfort level with the child carrier. It also gets harder to avoid the trees but at 5'7" I may not have noticed how low they were further down. The uppermost fall was about a mile past the lowest and required a little wading.

I managed to trail run the upper half so it can't be the steepest or most rugged of trails. There were also lots of 8-12 or 14 year old kids up there and a few that were even younger. I even asked about skiing it earlier and I'll have to say the impression I was given was more or less correct. I'd be in over my head with my current gear and wouldn't get away without a yard sale or two on the tele setup that I've yet to find boots for.

BTW, I loved that hike. Once I got about a mile in, it felt like there was a swamp cooler somewhere up top pouring cold air down the canyon.
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...

The switch backs at the bottom are a grunt. But after that the trail is pretty nice. There are a lot of trees but I would imagine you could make it work with the carrier.

Mark

Yeah, the switchbacks are pretty brutal, but you get them done with first.

There is a slab of rock you can either transverse, or cut above it.

There is a rickety bridge. If you fall off, you will get your feet wet.

There is a bit of a scramble up amid some boulders and tree roots that a 2 year old will love to climb on.

You do have to rock hop to see the falls themselves. Again, you will get your feet wet helping him across. If you find a branch or use a hiking pole, it would help.

The only things I would worry about is if you decided to cross on the rock, and 'dad' getting worn out.

You can always turn around.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

Justin I know that little boy is made from the same Highlander stock as my grand kids were. So with out any of the exciting details here is a picture of my son and grand kids at the falls.
    See you on the Trail
    Matty
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    See you on the Trail

Quote Originally Posted by Scout Master
    Justin I know that little boy is made from the same Highlander stock as my grand kids were.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Quote Originally Posted by Scout Master
    Justin I know that little boy is made from the same Highlander stock as my grand kids were.
    That means you will have to wear a kilt on your hike, Sombeech.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnman1830
    That means you will have to wear a kilt on your hike, Sombeech.
    one of these days I'll be sporting the MacFarlane Clan tartan.

Eye, there ya go. I will have to call upon my Celtic blood and come join ya.
    - Edward Abbey