Thread: The Future of Food

The Future of Food

This a pretty in depth look at the future of our Food and an eye opener concerning the impacts of Genetically Engineered foods and Patents relating to Food and genetics.

I found it very scary.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/67878/the-future-of-food
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: The Future of Food

Quote Originally Posted by RedMan
    This a pretty in depth look at the future of our Food and an eye opener concerning the impacts of Genetically Engineered foods and Patents relating to Food and genetics.

I found it very scary.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/67878/the-future-of-food
    RedMan, I saw this a couple months ago and was definitely a horror show. Should be required viewing in the public schools!

There is another documentary out now. "Food Inc." in limited theatrical release. Its a horror show mostly around the basic disgusting mass production practices and control of a few large corporations.

I found "The Future of Food" much more frightening in its long term implications of the "Life Patent" problem.
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

Only half way though, have been watching it in between working. But damn!! This show is pissing me off

How can the biotec industry determine that genetic foods not be labeled? How can you sue a farmer when you inpregnated his fields with your crop against his wishes? Why is there no accountability?

I guess we're just stupid sheep eating what the farmer puts in front of us, not caring, lol.

Edit: Ok finished it.The end was pretty encouraging actually. I like that people are joining together and growing their own stuff. I like to see farmers markets popping up all over. I like how there were huge protests demanding quality for organic stuff. I might just have to fire up my hydroponic lettuce manufacturing setup again. I just hated growing all that lettuce and no one really wanted it. But I can easily convert it to completely organic and I bet it will be a bigger hit. Maybe I might even charge like 50 cents a piece so my neighbors don't feel like they are begging me. Perhaps I was wrong to offer it free like a charity.. Hmmm

Lots of good ideas from this vid, thanks for posting it!
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

My grandfather grew a HUGE garden in Kaysville for years.
    Every day he put a wheel barrow full of fresh produce in the front yard.
    I think half the city ate form his garden, it a was huge.
    People loved him.

We went to the farmer's market at Thanksgiving point last friday. Best watermelon I have ever tasted! Plus we found this really cool company that makes 16 grain pancakes soooooo good. The company that makes it is tree street grain. From what I gathered it is a family deal. The elderly couple that was at the booth was super nice and funny.
    The man thong is wrong.

Related article:

Food Is Power and the Powerful Are Poisoning Us

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/..._poisoning_us/

Posted on Sep 6, 2009

By Chris Hedges

Our most potent political weapon is food. If we take back our agriculture, if we buy and raise produce locally, we can begin to break the grip of corporations that control a food system as fragile, unsafe and destined for collapse as our financial system. If we continue to allow corporations to determine what we eat, as well as how food is harvested and distributed, then we will become captive to rising prices and shortages and increasingly dependent on cheap, mass-produced food filled with sugar and fat. Food, along with energy, will be the most pressing issue of our age. And if we do not build alternative food networks soon, the social and political ramifications of shortages and hunger will be devastating.

The effects of climate change, especially with widespread droughts in Australia, Africa, California and the Midwest, coupled with the rising cost of fossil fuels, have already blighted the environments of millions. The poor can often no longer afford a balanced diet. Global food prices increased an average of 43 percent since 2007, according to the International Monetary Fund. These increases have been horrific for the approximately 1 billion people