Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Colorado Adventure 2009

Headed back down

Instead of hopping back on the highway, we took a right and headed west over Weston Pass

Some storm coulds in the distance

It rained for a short time but cleared up quickly

Soon we were back on the highway headed south. We ended up stopping at Jan's in Buena Vista for some dinner before heading back to camp for the night. It was another great day.

That's it for Day 2. Day 3 to come....
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Dude you cover some serious territory in a day.

Your reports are great and your photos are very engaging. Good work.

As we approached this section of trail headed up the pass lightning drove us off the mountain.

Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RedMan
    Dude you cover some serious territory in a day.
    That's kind of the reason I usually head out alone....other people just slow me down

Thanks!
    Randy Langstraat

Maybe I should stop letting people tag along so often.
    With SPOT everyone knows where I am anyway.

I had three 16 yo never ever riders, and their dads with me.
    After three days and one totaled ATV I was about to commit a crime.

It was still a great trip even though the little ingrates needed to be deprived of oxygen.
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RedMan
    It was still a great trip even though the little ingrates needed to be deprived of oxygen.
    That I believe may be the reason they are the way the are....LOL.....

Randy keep'em coming
    livinutoutdoors.com
    Don't talk unless you can improve the silence.
    The trout do not rise in the cemetery, so you better do your fishing while you are still alive. SGH

Day 3: Sangre de Cristo Mountains & The Great Dunes

Day 3 was spent exploring the Sangre de Cristo Mountains, including some time at the Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve. We started out heading south on US 285 to Villa Grove, where we turned off the pavement and took Hayden Pass over the mountains.

After reaching the pavement again we headed south and topped off the gas tank in Westcliffe before making our way over to Medano Pass. I'll also mention that right before the turnoff to Medano Pass, we had a bear run across the highway in front of us....it was actually our first bear sighting.

Start of Medano Pass

Sandy two-track

Entering the National Park

First spotting of the dunes, straight ahead
    Randy Langstraat

Looking back on the sandy trail

Finally getting closer to the dunes

Randy Langstraat

Soon we reached the pavement in the park and headed over to the dunes to do a little exploring on foot. A few photos...

A storm started rolling in as we were leaving.....it got VERY windy.

The sign as we left the park

After spending some time at Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve my original goal was to check out Hermit Pass, so we headed east again and took Pass Creek Pass Road back to Colorado 69 and headed north. By the time we reached Westcliffe again, it was starting to get late so I decided to skip Hermit Pass this trip.....so I'll have to return another time. We continued north and eventually made it back to Johnson Village, where we had a good dinner at the Coyote Cantina (one of my favorite places to eat in the area).

That's it for Day 3. Day 4 to be continued...
    Randy Langstraat

Day 4: Independence & Pearl Pass

On Day 4 we slept in a little bit longer than on the previous days before getting up and breaking down camp. As I stated in the first post on this trip report, Amanda only had 4 days with me before she had to go back to work. Being the 4th day, we needed to head back to Grand Junction this day. There was one trail that I was not able to check out earlier on the trip because it was not yet clear of snow accoriding to my research before leaving, however, after checking again the night before, I knew it was now passable......so we made our way over to Pearl Pass on our way home.

In order to get to Pearl Pass we needed to head over to Aspen. I decided to head over Independence Pass. Even though it's paved, I figured since I had not drivin it before, I might as well check it out at least once...

Once in Aspen we headed up Express Creek Road to the start of Pearl Pass. This was an amazing trail and probably one of my favorites in the state! So let me warn you, I was a little camera happy and took a ton of photos......and I'm going to post a bunch of them. So if you don't like looking at photos of great trail scenery, then you may want to go read another thread instead ;) On to the photos....

Start of the trail

Waterfall along the trail

Recently repaired bridge

Now above the waterfall

Another sign as we climb higher

Randy Langstraat

You can see the Montezuma Basin trail in the distance
    Randy Langstraat

If you look closely in this one, you can see Pearl Pass on the left....there is a narrow shelf road leading up to it.

Randy Langstraat

Getting closer to the pass

This was the only section of snow we encountered, and as you can see, there were already a few tracks through it.

Finally, at the pass!

Randy Langstraat

The road down the other side to Crested Butte

Still plenty of wildflowers near Crested Butte

Once we made it to Crested Butte, we stopped for a quick lunch and topped off the gas tank before heading back to GJ via Kebler Pass again. I got to sleep in my own bed one night before heading back out on my own.

To be continued...
    Randy Langstraat

Day 5: Gore Range & Boreas Pass

Now that I am back from a snowy weekend in the Uinta Mountains, it's time to get back to my Colorado Adventure trip report....

After a good night's sleep back in my own bed at home, I got up early again and headed east on I-70 and US 24 to Red Cliff. From there, I hopped on the Shrine Pass road for a little ways and then headed up Lime Creek. The trail started out rocky when it was in the trees, but once it opened up, the trail smoothed out and offered some excellent views.

Wildflowers along the trail

Randy Langstraat

After looping back around to Shrine Pass Road, I headed to the short Benson Cabin trail. This trail was short and steep, but never got out of the trees, so there were not really any good views....but I did get a few shots of the Benson Cabin.

Spot my Jeep

After making it back to Shrine Pass Road again, I made my way up Wearyman Creek to McAllister Gulch. This trail switchbacked up out of the trees and offered some great views in all directions.

Views of Mount Holy Cross

Randy Langstraat

I took the short spur up to the top of Resolution Mountain

I took this 360 degree panoramic photo at the top of Resolution Mountain

Click here for bigger panoramic photo.
    Randy Langstraat

After making it down to Resolution Creek, I headed up Ptarmigan Pass to complete the loop

At Ptarmigan Pass

Once back down to Shrine Pass Road, I finally finished the trip over to Vail Pass.

View of Mount Holy Cross from Shrine Pass
    Randy Langstraat

Before calling it a day, I decided to head over the Easy Boreas Pass starting in Breckenridge and ending in Como.

Bankers Tank

A few photos from the display at the pass

Headed back down to Como

That's it for Day 5. To be continued...
    Randy Langstraat

Wow, I need to look at these again when I have more time.