Thread: Lone Peak TR

Lone Peak TR

Lone Peak August 8-2009

Was not my best performance.

I had lots of surgery when I was mostly dead 7 years ago and one of them involved driving 2 titanium screws into my femur that was just a bit stronger than heavy chalk @ the time. Since then I have slowly healed but my hip is still a better weatherman than the weather guessers on the news. I knew that morning a change in the weather was coming. Our 19 month old also added his painful jab by waking 3 times the night before. Add to that that I had a nasty stomach flu last week that about killed me and ruined a perfectly good day of camping above Bear Lake last week and I was feeling much better but still not totally over it.

So it sounds like a perfect day to do Lone Peak. The high was forecast for 70 degrees with a good chance of rain.

I took it nice and easy as I was worried about burning out and was in no mood to have to be carried off the mountain. This was good for me but my friend and his son were waiting for me to catch up as much as they were hiking.

We started @ Jacobs Ladder trailhead @ 6:45. It appears that when Jacob built this ladder, switchbacks had not yet been invented. From the trailhead you just basically stay to the left as there are several meanders up to the 1st trail sign. Someone was nice enough to put an arrow on the trailmarker since the Forest service sign could be read a couple of ways. After this marker the fun begins. At the time the trail seemed just awful as it is very steep and very loose in some spots. I was glad I did not have a heavier pack on and was glad I had at least one trekking pole.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Added the time lapse video. Also apparently I should have taken care of the blister. I now have a bloody mess on the back of my heal.