Thread: Hey from Colorado

Hey from Colorado

Stumbled on this site and it's TOO cool!!! I'm totally jazzed to have found it. I'm from CO but love Utah - especially Moab.... really enjoy canyoneering though don't have a ton of experience with it... just got back from a month long camping trip and did the Black Hole for the first time - best experience ever!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

welcome

we'd love a trip report and to see photos from your trip

welcome from CO, too
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

I'd love to share! I can post some pics once I finally get them.

Two friends and I started in Colorado Springs and went to Piedra Hot Springs where we backpacked in and spent the night. Then it was to Durango, CO for climbing and some tubing on the Animas River. We then headed to Fry Canyon, Utah and did the rappel through there, and then the Black Hole - which was incredible. I think we missed the out climb trail though, has anyone done it? The route out we found involved quite a bit of climbing, probably around 5.7 or 5.8. Is there a trail out with no climbing? Also, I heard from a ranger at the National Bridges National Monument that they burned out the log jam that used to be in there... I thought it had been swept out in a flood. Anyone know? Burning that log jam out would be a heck of a job! Anyway, GREAT experience.

We headed to Zion after, but were pretty unprepared for it. All the campgrounds were full and permits for hikes/canyoneering looked pretty impossible to get. A quick look on their website beforehand would have been a pretty good idea... Meh, a good lesson nonetheless. I'll be much more prepared next time. Someday I'd love to do the Subway and the Narrows. So we headed to a little town about four hours north from there, Moroni. There's great sport climbing around there at Maple Canyon. To date, it's my favorite sport climbing area. It's all conglomerate, but huge. Like cobblestone roads... just vertical! :) We went to Joe's Valley after this for some world class bouldering. It was pretty dang hot there though. We went to Temple Mountain for one night after, to do the Little Wild Horse/Bell Canyon loop hike which was definitely crowded, but still great!

Moab was after this. Because of heat (109 degrees), we didn't get too much climbing in, but did do Ephedra's Grotto and the Morning Glory Arch rappel. After a change in plans, we pulled an all nighter drive to the Tetons and did a three day backpacking trip through there, did the tourist thing at Yellowstone for a day, and did some Jackson Hole climbing. Drove back to CO towards the Maroon Bells Wilderness for a planned 60 backpacking loop through there. This fell apart at the last minute when a group member spent the whole night beforehand throwing up, and a couple other factors. Instead we camped on Independence Pass and climbed through there, and also cliff jumped at the (Devil's?) Punch Bowls and Lincoln Creek.

I haven't seen any pics yet, but hopefully there'll be some good ones :) It was a great experience - I'm definitely lucky I was able to do it!

Howdy & Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by alliej
    I'd love to share! I can post some pics once I finally get them.
    sounds like a great trip. looking forward to the photos.

... and then the Black Hole - which was incredible. I think we missed the out climb trail though, has anyone done it? The route out we found involved quite a bit of climbing, probably around 5.7 or 5.8. Is there a trail out with no climbing?
    sounds like you may have done the alternate exit. there is an easy exit. there is good information and a map on Tom Jones' canyoneering site concerning both routes. you can check the alternate route to see if it's the same. tom jones also frequents this forum.

Black Hole of White Canyon
    http://canyoneeringusa.com/utah/cedar/blackh.htm

also information on shane burrows' site. shane is a moderator here (iceaxe)

http://climb-utah.com/CM/blackhole.htm

Also, I heard from a ranger at the National Bridges National Monument that they burned out the log jam that used to be in there... I thought it had been swept out in a flood. Anyone know?
    the logjam was pretty intense. you can imagine very easily that it was not a single event which caused it to be swept out, but a multitude of events, many of which were floods, e.g. floods in oct. 2006. but yes there was a fire set as well.

did the rangers indicate to you that they or the park service was responsible?

here are some photos of the logjam:
    http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/rave/...rth/index2.htm

We headed to Zion after, but were pretty unprepared for it. All the campgrounds were full and permits for hikes/canyoneering looked pretty impossible to get. A quick look on their website beforehand would have been a pretty good idea... Meh, a good lesson nonetheless. I'll be much more prepared next time. Someday I'd love to do the Subway and the Narrows.
    you can always ask folks around here about camping and anything else. many are happy to provide information.

zion is a place many go. you could find partners to meet up with here to do certain canyons. also gatherings at zion do occur. such gatherings are discussed for months in advance if you watch the canyoneering forum.

cheers

Welcome to bogley. Glad you like it, we do too.