Thread: Grays-Torreys TR

Grays-Torreys TR

I was in Colorado earlier in the week and had the opportunity to hike Grays (14,270ft) and Torreys (14267ft) Peaks above Georgetown. According to Roach's book Colorado's Fourteeners these are the 9th and 11th highest peaks in Colorado. All I can say was that it was a great hike, fantastic scenery and a well engineered trail. A note of caution though, the guidebook states that most passenger cars should be able to make it up the access road. Except for my 2-WD PU I think all of the vehicles at the trailhead lot were 4-WD. On the way down the mountain I continuously wondered how I got my truck up there. At the bottom about 10 vehicles were parked where the owners either could not get up the road or wouldn't try it. Over half of them were SUVs. The trailhead is over 11,000 feet so the country is pretty open right away at the start of the trail. I left the trailhead just after 4:30 AM to avoid afternoon thunderstorms. I saw noone on the trail until I was coming down and saw at least 30 hikers not counting the Forest Service trail crew.
    RP
    Attached Images Attached Images                

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice TR! I love the pics from the top to I70 and then from I70 to the peak. AWESOME! I really wanted to hike timp or box elder this year but my wife is preggers and doesn't take well to the time I have already spent canyoneering without her this year so I don't want to push it. Mabey next year we can get her to go. Thanks for the eye candy.
    The man thong is wrong.

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum