Thread: Take Back Utah Rally

Take Back Utah Rally

This looks interesting. I think Carpey posted this down, way down, in the environmental section under "USA-all gets some press" or something but I think it is more than just USA-All and applies to multiple sections of Bogley. I may have to start a "Take Back Zion Park" group if this is successful.

http://www.takebackutah.org/
    Life is Good

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I sure can't wait until we take Utah back and I can run my quads up Bells Canyon.

I love how efforts of social responsibility are spun into attacks on individual freedom.

From the website:
    Utah Land Use Statistics

The federal government controls nearly 65 percent of the land in the state of Utah, as opposed to states like Pennsylvania, Illinois, New York or Virginia where the federal government controls less than 2% of the total land mass of those states.

New York State has 30,216,320 acres only 234,000 acres of federal land. One percent of the land mass is federal.

Pennsylvania has 29,475,200 acres of land and only 677,000 acres of federal land. That amounts to 2.3% of the land mass.

Illinois has 36,058,700 acres of land and only 490,300 acres of federal land or 1.4%.
    On the other hand ...

Utah has 52,696,960 acres of land, and a staggering 33,258,253 acres of federal land 63%. Nevada has 70,264,320 acres of land, and (are you ready?) 54,159,458 acres of federal land. That is 77%. Idaho 60%, California, 44.7% Colorado, 36% Oregon 52% Wyoming 54%.
    I can

Quote Originally Posted by James_B_Wads2000
    I sure can't wait until we take Utah back and I can run my quads up Bells Canyon.

I love how efforts of social responsibility are spun into attacks on individual freedom.

James
    I frankly think both sides have gone over board on the access issue. I must say that access and enjoyment do go hand in hand. Unrestricted access??? Not the answer. Shutting down roads and trails that have been used for a long time? That is just not appealing to me on its face. There better be a darn good reason to shut down existing access. New access? There better be a good reason for that request also. I do believe in being a wise steward of our planet but I would also like to enjoy the planet in a responsible way without having to hike 20 miles on a closed road to see a canyon.
    Life is Good

Question for you Scott.

Would it be possible, in your opinion of course, to bring a "successful" prescriptive easement law suit to keep trails open that have been been open for over the statuatory 10 year period?

Quote Originally Posted by Last Child
    Question for you Scott.

Would it be possible, in your opinion of course, to bring a "successful" prescriptive easement law suit to keep trails open that have been been open for over the statuatory 10 year period?
    That is a very good question for which I do not know the answer. This is a federal land issue not a state issue I would imagine. I have limited my practice to State Courts. I would have to do some serious research or find another lawyer that practices in this area for a legal opinion. It may be worth pursuing. I know there is a similar issue with access to Zion canyons that needs to be researched and looked into. Unfortunately, I have neither the time nor the funds to do such a project right now.
    Life is Good