Thread: Harness Rentals

Harness Rentals

Where is the best place to rent harnesses and belay devices in SLC? I need about 12 harnesses by this Friday.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

[quote=James_B_Wads2000]I didn

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    Looks like we'll be tying swamis.
    Liberty has a harness called the Fly for under 25 bucks. Might work?

I'm not sure if your local climbing gyms might rent or sell their older harnesses?

-Brian in SLC

i would never put a rented harness around my waist or my kids.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Justin,
    Hit me sideband at my usual e-mail.
    Jared Hillhouse
    North Wash Outfitters LLP.
    Twitter: @North_Wash
    N.W.O. on Facebook
    "Great Adventure Buddies Make It Happen"

We were sitting at the permit window in Zion 2 months ago when a fellow canyoneer got a call on his cell. A friend of his was wearing a rented harness in a canyon and it ripped. luckily the guy only fell a short ways but I would never EVER trust one.
    better off outdoors

OK.... I'll play along for giggles....

I'd have no problem putting my kids in a rented or borrowed harness.... provided I had inspected it myself. The thought of a rented harness doesn't scare me nearly as bad as watching folks rap off of anchors (including bolts) with a dubious history.

I was up to one of the climbing shops about 10 years ago (probably Black Diamond) and they were pulling apart old harnesses, slings and webbing for fun and it was amazing how strong some of the rattiest crap still was. The lesson I took away from that was if it still looks really good it is

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiecutter
    We were sitting at the permit window in Zion 2 months ago when a fellow canyoneer got a call on his cell. A friend of his was wearing a rented harness in a canyon and it ripped. luckily the guy only fell a short ways but I would never EVER trust one.
    Uh, really? Hard to believe, harnesses hardly EVER fail without some serious mis-use.

Harnesses are inspectable. There is nothing hidden - except, uh, in modern harnesses where the structural parts are hidden. Most of the harnesses 'we' use for canyoneering have external, explicit structural parts. Which means a 'reasonable' human being inspecting it can make a 'reasonable' assessment as to whether it is 'reasonable' to use it or not.

I had a friend who broke his climbing harness (leg loop strap), causing pain and embarrassment, but not injury. His claim - well, he could not find his current climbing harness, so he dug up one from his garage that he had retired a couple months ago, because it was beat. He took a whipper, the leg loop strap broke, so he was hanging from the waist strap, and felt really embarrassed.

So, I double-dare you to verify these statements, and am interested in hearing the story. Harness break in the field? Unlikely.

Tom

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Re: Harness Rentals

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    Where is the best place to rent harnesses and belay devices in SLC? I need about 12 harnesses by this Friday.
    Is this for an LDS youth groups aka Boy Scouts? You might be able to borrow from other scout groups. Hit with an email I might be able to give you some leads...

ratagonia@gmail.com

Tom

cardlaw22@yahoo.com.... hit me with a sideband also.
    Life is Good

I've got a bunch you could borrow but they are in Kaysville. Harnesses and pirana's.

Mark

Wow! You guys are great! It's actually a scout group from Green River, Wyoming that is coming down to visit. About 8 high school seniors with 4 adults. None of them have canyoneering experience so I'll be taking them on some routes that are on the tame side...limited technical stuff with no raps over 30-40 feet. Professor creek has been mentioned.

I believe they will be passing through SLC en route to Moab, so they may be able to pick up harnesses from willing donors in that neck of the woods if needs be.

Did you get what you needed? If not PM me. I have at least 12 I could loan you if they want to come through Kaysville.

Mark

Uh, really? Hard to believe, harnesses hardly EVER fail without some serious mis-use.

Harnesses are inspectable. There is nothing hidden - except, uh, in modern harnesses where the structural parts are hidden. Most of the harnesses 'we' use for canyoneering have external, explicit structural parts. Which means a 'reasonable' human being inspecting it can make a 'reasonable' assessment as to whether it is 'reasonable' to use it or not.

I had a friend who broke his climbing harness (leg loop strap), causing pain and embarrassment, but not injury. His claim - well, he could not find his current climbing harness, so he dug up one from his garage that he had retired a couple months ago, because it was beat. He took a whipper, the leg loop strap broke, so he was hanging from the waist strap, and felt really embarrassed.

So, I double-dare you to verify these statements, and am interested in hearing the story. Harness break in the field? Unlikely.

Tom
    I can not verify my statement. They were college student from Byu-I, my home town, but I have never seen them since nor did I get contact info. That said, they gave me no reason to doubt their story. But there could be circumstances I am un-aware of such as, like you pointed out, serious mis-use.

You are the harness expert so I will take your word over theirs. That said, it still made me very cautious of a rented harness. I'm learnin proper inspections so as to be sure of any harness I use. Be it rented or not.

Jaden
    better off outdoors