Thread: California NP's

California NP's

I am wondering if anyone has been to Joshua Tree and/or Channel Islands NP in California. I may be headed there in a couple weeks and am looking for some suggestions for both parks. Will likely spend a day in each location. We arent looking for anything strenuous or technical. Mostly for some excellent scenery and picture taking opportunities, with as much solitude as possible. Normally, we dont really like 'Ranger Led' or 'Guided' tours, and are hoping to avoid that, so any information or suggestions is appreciated.

In Joshua Tree, I have no idea where we would go or where to start. I am open to any suggestions. Channel Islands we'll probably visit Anacapa or Santa Cruz island. Again, just looking for some good scenic hikes, get some picts of the ocean and islands. Never been there so I dont know what to look for.

Thanks
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements"

Peter Gibbons - Office Space

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

in joshua tree it'll be over a hundred. if you are heat tolerant and keep hydrated there are a few trails, and a few 4x4 roads if you prefer climate control. mornings and evenings will be cooler, mid 80's-ish, but watch for rattlesnakes. check out their website for more info - http://www.nps.gov/jotr
    signature

We are staying not to far from Joshua Tree, so I am hoping to get there in the morning, hit a trail and get some sunrise pictures, then during mid day, go enjoy the pool where we are staying, and likely come back to hit a trail in the evening.

Channel Island is more commiting, as you have to get shuttled by a boat to a specific island, and stay there till the boat leaves. Or camp on the island.
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements"

IMHO the best day hike in Joshua Tree is Lost Palm Oasis, 8 miles round trip, it's not a strenuous hike in itself, but in august could be very very very hot!
    The trailhead is close to the southern entrance to the park, at Cottonwood Spring, and the path leads you to a large group (over 100) California fan palm trees.

In Joshua Tree there are lots of beautiful unmaintained trails, one of my favourite is the path into Rattlesnake Canyon, near Indian Cove campground.
    The trail follows the narrow drainage into the north section of the Wonderland of Rocks , which is a very interesting area if you are interested in "strange" and convulted rock formations.
    Another access point to the Wonderland of Rocks area is the Wonderland Wash Trail.

After said that I have to say that Joshua Tree is a very wide NP, so if it is your first time there maybe you'll have better chances to enjoy/know the park, and have more photo opportunities too, just visiting the "classic" viewpoints/trails/locations, such as Skull Rock, Cholla Cactus Garden, Jumbo Rocks, Hidden Valley...I took one beautiful image just wandering around the Jumbo Rocks campground, it was at sunset:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

We spent a day at Joshua Tree and a had a great time just doing some short walks. We went in the North entrance and drove out to the Cholla Cactus Garden, a really neat place.

We then backtracked to to the White Tanks area and went to Arch Rock,pretty cool.

From there we went to Skull Rock, did the Barker Dam hike and drove out to the Keys View.

Win

My Album from there:

http://winpics.fototime.com/Joshua%20Tree%20N.P
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

I climb there fairly often, in the spring, fall and winter. Way too hot for me in the summer.

Here's some idears for hikes:

http://www.joshuatreeclimb.com/Other...g/prehikes.htm

I'd probably think about that Palm Springs tramway as a way to beat the heat. Then hike to the top of San Jacinto.

Escape the heat and head to Idyllwild? Maybe hike up Tahquitz.

Cheers!

-Brian in SLC

Thanks for all the suggestions! Keep em coming.

Anyone have any experience with Channel Islands?

Quote Originally Posted by joethelion
    After said that I have to say that Joshua Tree is a very wide NP, so if it is your first time there maybe you'll have better chances to enjoy/know the park, and have more photo opportunities too, just visiting the "classic" viewpoints/trails/locations, such as Skull Rock, Cholla Cactus Garden, Jumbo Rocks, Hidden Valley...I took one beautiful image just wandering around the Jumbo Rocks campground, it was at sunset:
    I definitely want to go check that area out (where your picture is - Jumbo Rocks?), so I think we'll plan on that, and then one more hike, 2-4 hours-ish in the morning. Jumbo Rocks is a campground, so I am assuming there wont be too much to occupy our time for a couple hours will there?