Thread: Where to head to in Orem area

Where to head to in Orem area

Wife has a midterm at UVU so we are driving down from salt lake and I figured I would bring my rod an give somewhere in the area a shot. I have an hour to hour an half. Where would you guys recomend I head to? Only thing I can think of is provo river, I don't know much about the area or really about fishing so any help is great. Muchly appreciated!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sorry, hope I'm not too late for you.

The Provo really is the only place to fish near Orem unless you want to go to Utah Valley's toilet, Utah Lake. You might catch a carp or a catfish...maybe some white bass, West Nile...

The river is pretty nice. Go down 800 N to the mouth of the canyon (all the way east) and take your pick of good holes to cast a spinner or a worm into. The browns are typically pan-sized, but I've also spooked some lunkers and they're in there.

My personal recommendation would be to fish the river around the Wynnsong Theater, in town (Provo, technically). Just drive east on Center Street in Orem until you get down the hill. The theater is on the left and some great stretches of lightly pressured river lies up and downstream from there.

Just south of that is a park where more good holes open up. Spinners, worms, and minnow imitations (rapala, lucky craft, soft plastics, etc) should all pick up hits for you. If not, they're just not active.

In-town fishing on the Provo is highly overlooked and can be very rewarding.
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

Thanks for the response. I ended up a mile or two past the upper falls in a turnaround. Some fly fishermen were releasing a fish as I came to the water as they were getting ready to leave. Got all excited and knew they were catching. So i threw a fly into the water and got nothing after 20 mins. Then threw in a jakes, then threw in blue fox, then minnow. All with no results. I walked the shore back and I could see the fish in the river! 10 to 12 inch trout swimming against the ripping current. I had a few more casts and nothing. I am not exactly sure what happened but it was a still a cool trip. I really hope to land a fish soon cuase i was disapointed. I am going to kings peak on monday to weds so I hope to land some there too! Thanks for the reply!

Just be careful with the Provo. Special regs with confusing language:

PROVO RIVER
    (a) East from Center Street Bridge (entrance to Utah Lake State Park) to I-15 (Utah County):
    CLOSED to taking of nongame fish by
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

Yea thats some regulations. I believe they are there for the better. I ONLY plan on fishing with artifical lures and plan to release all fish I catch anywhere so I think that puts me in a safe zone in Utah right?

Mostly. If you fish the Green River below Flaming Gorge and to the CO state line, all smallmouth bass are a mandatory kill. Same with Grantsville Res.

Also, IN Flaming Gorge, mandatory kill on all burbot caught.

There's also one stretch of Huntington Creek (below Electric Lake and to Engineer's Canyon) that is artificial FLIES only. No lures or bait, just flies.

After that, you're about covered, although I would encourage anyone to keep their limit of fish in specially regulated areas (if applicable), as catch and release is the popular thing to do and it hurts the fishery. No harvest, no room to grow.

Most people who fish AFL zones are the C&R crowd anyway and their constant releasing of smaller fish only steals space that could be taken up by a larger fish.
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

Wow. They ought to mention in the handbook that bringing home some fish every once in awhile isn't a bad idea. I thought I was doing good releasing and not killing. Thats interesting, thanks so much for the information.