Thread: TR - Professor Creek

TR - Professor Creek

On Pioneer Day I spent the better part of the morning musing about where to go to celebrate the holiday. With temps in the 100's in Moab, I decided a wet canyon was in order. Mill canyon would be too crowded, and Pleaides sounded fun, but I was alone so I figured I'd drive around the corner to Professor Creek.

I'd like to point out that the approach to the upper part of Professor SUCKS!! It's not the rim-walking I envisioned. Much worse than that - it's hiking down into a dry sandy wash, back up the other side, and repeat about 10 times. In the early afternoon with temps in the 100's it's a recipe for heatstroke. Thankfully I packed along a bunch of Gatorade.

After the drop in you forget about all of the heartache of the approach hike as you wade from pool to pool in the clear cool creek. It's a really great way to spend a hot day in Moab - especially if you make the drop in before noon.

Kelsey points out in his write-up of Professor Creek that the big waterfall at the end of the technical upper section is a "rappel or handline down." I would strongly recommend against a handline. If you go without a harness expecting to handline you could be in trouble - its a legit 20 foot rappel, in water. From the looks of the anchor, it didn't appear as if anyone had done the canyon anytime in the recent past. I reset the sling from the boulder anchor about 20 feet from the drop and left a new rapid link.

Enjoy the pix.
    Attached Images Attached Images                   
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Great pix! Thanks for the TR
    better off outdoors

Looks great!

Hey Rock, remind me how far it is from the falls down to the road? Many moons ago I dayhiked from the bottom up for what seemed like hours and we never made it to the falls. It was October and we were moving pretty slow to avoid water and warm up by stopping in the sun.

James

4.3 miles according to my book.... I remember it taking forever... We tried jumping across the creek every time you had to cross it (many many many times) trying to keep our shoes dry (1st of March). Our feet still got wet and we wore ourselves out before we even got to the falls.. I always wondered what it would be like above the falls, now I know!!! Thanks!!
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn

If I'm reading the tone of your TR correctly this is one of those..... "happy I did it, but I'm not returning anytime soon routes?"

We were planning on doing this route a couple weeks ago but bailed because of the heat.....

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    If I'm reading the tone of your TR correctly this is one of those..... "happy I did it, but I'm not returning anytime soon routes?"

We were planning on doing this route a couple weeks ago but bailed because of the heat.....

You know....when I was hiking up and down those sandy washes on the approach I vowed I would NEVER return to do this hike. Once I got down into the waterslides and got back home with a cold drink in hand I have since forgotten about that crappy approach. I would do it again for sure. It was kind of my fault anyways for getting on the trail so late in the day. Just stay hydrated, get an early start and you should be fine.

It took me about 90 minutes to get from the parking area to the lower falls. But I would say I'm a faster-than-average hiker. Round trip from start to finish took me 5.5 hours.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Very nice! You have some great pictures - I like the various water falls and splash photos. Looks like you had a great afternoon.

Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

somehow i missed this thread. thanks for posting it. i dig the closeup water shots, a perspective you don't usually see.

looks like a great day in the sun