Thread: Gringoglyphs

Gringoglyphs

Welcome to Ice's theory on Gringoglyphs.....

Everyone who has spent time on Lake Powell raise your hand.... I see about half of you with your arm up... so... for those of you who have not visited the lake let me paint a little picture. The sandstone around Lake Powell is covered with gringoglyphs (and toilet paper) from lake level to 100' high on any cliff. There are thousands of names, pictures, whatever carved into the rock by the houseboat crew, scouts, mom & pop, junior....... there are some fantastic carvings, real works of art. A 5' round penny with such detail you would not believe near Wahweep. A 5' round nickel up Moki canyon, a 5' round quarter in Escalante (all carved by the same guy, he was so proud of his work when I meet him) plus hundreds of other carvings by thousands of different people.

I believe that in 2000 years folks will come from all over the world to view this ancient art which was carved by the ancient ones....... of course the experts will not know the true meaning of the petroglyphs (gringoglyphs) but they will tell us it must have had some religious meaning...... that's what the experts always say when they don't know....... and we were divided into religious cells called troops....... troop 256, troop 32..... cause there are hundreds of troop names carved into the walls......

Geee..... Lake Powell will make a visit to Newspaper Rock or the Grand Gallery look really boring....... and on the infinite time line of life they will only be separated by a couple hundred years............

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Gringoglyphs

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    I believe that in 2000 years folks will come from all over the world to view this ancient art which was carved by the ancient ones....... of course the experts will not know the true meaning of the petroglyphs (gringoglyphs) but they will tell us it must have had some religious meaning...... that's what the experts always say when they don't know....... and we were divided into religious cells called troops....... troop 256, troop 32..... cause there are hundreds of troop names carved into the walls......
    Interesting topic!

I disagree. I think what makes indian runes valuable is their cultural significance. Lets face it, they are pretty much extinct now unless you are gambling on their reservations. So this is the only remnants of the culture and a reminder of other people who came before us. And of course there are pioneer runes which people value because of the hardships they endured, and being the first settlers to claim the area. Also what I like to call the "documentation factor" we have digital media like the internet. Barring a nuke war or completel and utter downfall of society, these "digital documentations" will always be present and leave no doubt as to the purpose of the glyphs. So I think "joe and bob was here" with a big 5 foot penis carved in the wall will have little significance in the future. No cultural significance, no one cares about them, just some idiots desecrating the land for their own amusement. The coins sound like great artwork though and will probably have some value in the future. I've not seen them but they sound really cool.

However, if we evolve into a higher life form, this could be a memorial of how we "used to be stupid" and have value. It the lake goes completely dry and carvings 200 feet on a cliff show where the water level once was, that could be of value. I can picture some people standing in a dry lake bed and saying "see how high the water level once was?". I'm just not thinking the age of the "runes" alone gives them value. There has to be some other significance besides their age. Also assuming they will last that long is a big gamble due to the amount of rainfall and wind erosion in soft sandstone. I'm thinking 1000 years max life.

Disagree?
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum