Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wasatch Crest to Mill D - Trip Report 7 28 09

Wasatch Crest to Mill D - Trip Report 7 28 09

We had another good turnout, I think 13 of us

The downside is I think we had about 7 collective flats, plus a slow leak (mine)

We ended the night at Hooters for some grub and Karaoke.

enough jibber jabber, here are the pics and video.

Attached Images Attached Images         

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Any body puke going up puke hill?
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

What a great ride. Epic trail! We need to add this trail into the rotation more often.

I did make puke hill! That was me changing two flat tires...we had 7 flats total between the 12 of us. Crazy! That must be a record.

2 words: Tubeless, Flat Attack!
    Are we there yet?

Yeah. I do run Mr tuffies, but that only stops the thorns. Both of my flats and all the others I believe were from snake bite. You really have to make sure your pressure is up on this trail. There are lots of sharp rocks. Also having some good tread on your tires will only help this effort. I think I just get lazy and never check my air pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve
    Tubeless=
    Flat Attack=not so much.

I have found that the slime for ATV tires works far better than the Flat Attack. At least that's what has worked best for me.

Looks like a fun ride. One of these days I'm going to get down there and ride that one.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    7 out of 12 that is kinda funny!

Quote Originally Posted by devo_stevo
    Tubeless=
    Flat Attack=not so much.

I have found that the slime for ATV tires works far better than the Flat Attack. At least that's what has worked best for me.
    I've put 800+ miles on my tubeless setup with Flat Attack since April and have not had any problem whatsoever. No flats, burps, bubbles, or bulging. Works like a charm. Heavier than Stans but it doesn't dry out or need to be changed as often and won't disintegrate tires. But, whatever works for you, keep using it!
    Are we there yet?

I went along for my first trail ride ever. Prior to this, my mountain biking experience consisted of commuting Chicago's Lake Shore Drive and College Hill in Providence, Rhode Island in the early nineties.

I dusted off my vintage 1991 Purple Diamond Back Topanga the night before. Pulled off the smooth tires and put on the original bumpy ones. I knew enough to buy new tubes (thanks, Scott) but was surprised when the dry as beef jerky side wall blew when airing up the bumpy. Quick trip to REI (I know, I know) and I had two of the cheapest tires they had. Putting $45 in for tires and tubes was about $45 more than i should have spent on this bike.

At the trailhead, I started to worry about what I had gotten myself into when every other bike had front shocks and most had rear as well. I was surprised I could climb the first incline out of the parking from the top. Low gear was my friend, and I did really well as long as I could keep my butt on the seat. Any standing up to get more power only caused my rear wheel to lose traction and spin. It wasn't long before I was walking the bike.

I considered turning around during the monster down climb. I thought about walking back up and taking the road back down to the car. I quickly reconsidered and committed to finish the route, even if it meant walking the bike the entire way. Luckily, it didn't and the trail was rideable again soon after the dark thoughts.

Puke Hill? Should not have had McDonald's for before the ride. I had eaten early enough for the food to be well seated, and I kept everything down. However, sorry about the consistent wicked bad gas everyone.

The views were great when I wasn't dodging gopher holes in the trail. The hard pack was nice, and after overcoming my initial difficulty keeping the bike on trail I was able to cruise these pretty well. Bigger rocks, loose rock, and the erosion logs in the trails were tough. My toothpick arms and wrists took the brunt of it. My wrists hadn't felt that fatigued since death gripping the steering wheel of a U-Haul across windy Wyoming nine years ago.

The bike's lack of suspension combined with v-brakes and my wife's too-tight helmet only kept me slightly behind everyone else. Unless I was pushing the weighty monster up a hill. Then I was more than slightly behind. But I had a good time and would definitely do it again, if allowed. Thanks everyone for having me along.

I've put 800+ miles on my tubeless setup with Flat Attack since April and have not had any problem whatsoever. No flats, burps, bubbles, or bulging. Works like a charm. Heavier than Stans but it doesn't dry out or need to be changed as often and won't disintegrate tires. But, whatever works for you, keep using it!
    Awesome. I figured that stuff had to work for someone. I must just have bad luck with it I guess.

Oh and Deeps, good job on getting that bike out of the garage.

Where are the pictures though. You took some great ones in the canyons.

Quote Originally Posted by devo_stevo
    Where are the pictures though. You took some great ones in the canyons.
    Thanks. Not knowing what I was in for and fearing an over the handle bars attack I chose last minute to leave the D-80 in the car.

I didn't even have time to whip out the iPhone on the ride. There were a few sun-through-the-trees moments at the end that I considered but I was falling behind and allowing larger group pass. The funny part is every time I would let several of them pass they would wipe out within 100 yards and I would pass them. The last 2 miles were an awkward game of leapfrog.

Overall I'm glad I didn't haul it on the ride. All of the shots would have been butt shots...

deeps you rock!!! just remember real men ride hardtails but supermen ride rigid bikes. you got more guts than i do.
    Candition.com | Canyon Conditions

<%@me = User.find_by_adventurer(params[:theking648])%>

Looks sweet, Work is killing me being crazy busy but I guess I can't bitch about that, I brought my bike etc but couldn't leave. I am gonna try again next week to get out!

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeps
    Should not have had McDonald's for before the ride.
    I have told myself many times in the past.

And I will tell myself again many times in the future.

Besides all the flats this was a great ride last night. I would like to see us do this one again before we run out of these long summer days.

I would be up for a weekend ride down to the bottom of Mill Creek as well sometime soon if anyone is interested. A few of us did it on July 4th and had a great time.

Re: Wasatch Crest to Mill D - Trip Report 7 28 09

Great video! Makes me want to do it again, Justin.

Thanks. I actually thought about recording my own soundtrack for this one. I had the guitar and microphone out, but it was just taking too long.

I'm trying to just whip these videos out as fast as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Thanks. I actually thought about recording my own soundtrack for this one. I had the guitar and microphone out, but it was just taking too long.

I'm trying to just whip these videos out as fast as I can.
    I can relate. I still have a pile of video to edit down from the Zion Bogleyfest. It's all ripped to the computer, just not edited into something watchable.