Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wasatch Crest to Mill D - Trip Report 7 28 09

Quote Originally Posted by Deeps
    I can relate. I still have a pile of video to edit down from the Zion Bogleyfest. It's all ripped to the computer, just not edited into something watchable.
    Yeah, I've got a folder called "Videos to Edit". It's pretty full.

I've learned to get the video edited and published within 24 hours or else it will sit for a long time. I used to spend a week on a video, now it's about 2 hours. I wanted to get all of the good footage, but you just have to make those painful video edits and cut out a lot of the good stuff still - just so it can make it to youtube.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

What kind of helmet camera are you using on these videos?

Quote Originally Posted by devo_stevo
    Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve
    2 words: Tubeless, Flat Attack!
    Tubeless=
    Flat Attack=not so much.

I have found that the slime for ATV tires works far better than the Flat Attack. At least that's what has worked best for me.

Looks like a fun ride. One of these days I'm going to get down there and ride that one.
    I have a UST Kenda that has had ATV slime in it for a year. Every place there is a hole there is a large wet spot with small spit bubbles coming out. The tires will not hold air any where near as long as my other tires with Flat Attack. The ATV slime is also much more runny. I am guessing that since you do not weigh very much that you do not have any holes your tires yet. Not to say the slime would not get you home in a jam, just that Flat Attack will plug better.

While it is true that Slime dries up eventually, I have had much better luck with it than with Flat Attack.

I had a hole in my tire hat wouldn't seal about a month ago. I replaced the Flat Attack with Slime and it's been good ever since then.

I know it works for a lot of people and that's great but it hasn't for me. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

First I would like to say that if something works better for you than stick with it. There may be an explanation as to why the slime worked better in your case. I posted some pictures so people won't think I am just trolling you. The Flat Attack is on the left and the ATV slime on the right. If you notice the left is like wet fiberglass insulation. The right has big chunks of what looks like pieces of rubber. The slime says up to 1/4" and the Flat Attack is mostly 1/8" to a possible 1/4" in some situations. Maybe the hole in your tire was just too big for Flat Attack. If that is the case than I would suggest putting a tire plug in the hole for a more permanent repair. The ATV sealant may hold for a while but it is just one big jump from being blown out when the tire rips a little more.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Quote Originally Posted by biophase
    What kind of helmet camera are you using on these videos?
    I've been using this setup for a year and a half
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11636

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Warp
    First I would like to say that if something works better for you than stick with it. There may be an explanation as to why the slime worked better in your case. I posted some pictures so people won't think I am just trolling you. The Flat Attack is on the left and the ATV slime on the right. If you notice the left is like wet fiberglass insulation. The right has big chunks of what looks like pieces of rubber. The slime says up to 1/4" and the Flat Attack is mostly 1/8" to a possible 1/4" in some situations. Maybe the hole in your tire was just too big for Flat Attack. If that is the case than I would suggest putting a tire plug in the hole for a more permanent repair. The ATV sealant may hold for a while but it is just one big jump from being blown out when the tire rips a little more.
    The hole that I had in the tire was from a goat head. Nothing big at all but the Flat Attack just wouldn't fill it. I'm wondering if the bottle that I had was old and that's why it didn't work, but this isn't the first time that it has happened to me. I wish it would work for me, I like the idea of supporting a local company and everything, but I have a hard time doing that if I am constantly having to fix flat tires.

I made the mistake one time of moving some Flat Attack from the old tire to the new tire in an effort to save some pennies. That causes all the moisture to evaporate and then it does not flow anymore. I have also found that if you are using larger volume tires (2.3 or bigger) then it is better to add a little more than the recommended amount. Here is an updated picture after letting the sealants dry over night. The Flat Attack immediatly absorbed into the paper and dried out. You can see the Slime has more moisture but doesn't hold a candle in terms of hole plugging fibers, but the slime may be more effective for big holes in an ATV tires.

Some advice I often give to people using "tubes and liners" is to leave the goat head in the tire. The goat head will break off leaving the barb in the tire. It can safely stay there plugging the hole as long as you have good sealant. Never remove a goat head out on the trail or you maybe be pushing your bike back to the car. If you are tubeless, don't remove the goat head unless you position the tire so the goat head is pointed straight down and you waited for the sealant to run down there before removing. Again, waiting until you are home to remove.

If the hole is particularily large, mark a spot on the tire so you know where the hole is. Then, when the bike is parked in the garage, always park it with the hole at the bottom so the sealant keeps plugging it. It will then be ready to ride when needed. I have a mortorcycle tire that has huge hole in it from a nail or something. I marked the tire and used that procedure so it is always ready to ride. Small sidewall puntures can be fixed the same way by storing the bike on it's side so the sealant can flow to an area it would not normally reach.
    Attached Images Attached Images