Thread: Currant Creek

Currant Creek

Yesterday (Sun), I had a chance to get some stream fishing in with my buddy Holdsworth. He and I used to enjoy flicking spinners in moving water quite a bit and we thought we'd revisit an area that was high on our list back then, Currant Creek.

The creek was always a tugging distraction while making the drive up to the reservoir and there were times when we found ourselves burning much of our fishing hours chasing the little fish in the stream.

Like old times, the tempting pockets, beaver dams, and undercut banks had us giddy with a desire to go and catch a bunch of tiny fish on spinners. We weren't disappointed.

My usual weapon of choice, the size 2 Blue Fox in gold, has mysteriously disappeared from the shelves of practically every store in my area that has them for a fair price (around $3.00), so I settled for a silver one instead. It seemed to work just fine.

The stream was great! Everywhere that looked like it should hold a fish, did (or two or three). The fish weren't very spooky either. If I missed a chaser from even the smallest of holes, I could stand and retry my casts until I got a taker.

They were all nub-finned rainbows and dumber than the rocks they were hiding under, but they provided us with great entertainment for a couple of hours. Obviously, wild fish would've been much more rewarding to find on our lures, but we were in the easy access stretches and those tend to get hit pretty hard.

Holdsworth was using a smaller Blue Fox with a red bucktail and the action wasn't quite as fast for him. He still caught some fish, but he had to work a little harder for them. Our lure supply was quite limited for the day though, so we used what we had.

Aside from the hot fishing, it's a gorgeous place to spend some time. The red earth contrasted by lush vegetation and clear water provides a great backdrop for someone who just needs to wash away the work week.

After catching plenty of fish with it, I lost the spinner and thought it would be fun to try fishing one of my big streamers on spinning gear...Just for kicks.

I couldn't cast very far, but as soon as it hit the water and got a tug, something swooped in for a nip. It wasn't like fishing with a fly rod though. My reaction time wasn't nearly fast enough at first and I kept trying to set the hook too late. After missing about 6 fish, I finally got my rhythm going.

It was a great time and I really needed the release of catching a bunch of little fish on a creek. It had been awhile since the last time I was able to walk a creek with a grand smile, laughing around every bend.

Happy Fishing, Humans.
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Currant Creek

I've only fly fished the river below currant creek once, and it was a little slow. I used mostly Elk Hair Caddis, but fished them more wet than dry. I seemed to get more hook ups that way.

I really want to make my way back there, but I don't know the area very well...where do you suggest a newbie fish on currant creek? Feel free to PM me the answer. Thanks for sharing!!

No need for PM's. It's a pretty well known little creek, but most folks just keep driving to the reservoir (which has its own appeal).

My best advice is to keep your eye on the creek while driving the road and just pull it over whenever your gut tells you to. There are so many great stretches that narrowing it down is impossible. It's full of eager fish.

For the hatchery pets, you can fish anywhere next to the road. For a chance at wild browns or cutts, try closer to the dam or on the south side of HWY 40. There's substantially less pressure and trout are more likely to grow a little larger.

If you really want an adventure, get your waders on and follow the creek upstream from the lake. The landowners up there don't like people on what they believe to be their own private creek (in Utah, the public owns the water) and can get a bit rowdy, so I hear.

I wouldn't worry too much though, since you won't be near homes or anything. You'll probably see more elk or moose than people up there.
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

A fav for sure...thanks for sharing
    livinutoutdoors.com
    Don't talk unless you can improve the silence.
    The trout do not rise in the cemetery, so you better do your fishing while you are still alive. SGH