Thread: New Imlay FIRE rope

New Imlay FIRE rope

Just received my recently purchased Imlay Fire rope. I originally went to oder it directly from Tom's website, but seeing it was out of stock I found it at North Wash Outfitters reading in stock. Upon ordering the rope I received an email from NWO saying the rope is out of stock... long story short I was treated very good and received the rope shipped from Tom. So thanks to all involved!

I have only used the rope for one evening of rappelling, and after searching and not finding too many comments on it I will give my noobie impressions:

VERY stiff, but like Tom said it is starting to soften up.

It is much skinnier than the Sterling static line I have been using, and offers less stretch, which I love!

Very light weight compared to my recent rope. For our next canyon outing we have invited some girls to join, so between us on Bogley, I will be the MAN carrying the "heavy rope" without slowing down... I will be a stud... eventually

Because its skinnier, I have finally been able to convince some groupies to learn better techniques to add friction. So bonus points there

Oh yea, its purty

Not a whole lot to say YET. We are heading to Zion the weekend of the 7th so I will have more to say then. Plenty of pics promised!

Jaden
    better off outdoors

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks for the review.... I also bought one of the new Fire ropes but haven't had a chance to use it yet. The new color is certainly better for pictures than the old white ropes.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Thanks for the review.... I also bought one of the new Fire ropes but haven't had a chance to use it yet. The new color is certainly better for pictures than the old white ropes.
    agree

I bought one last week and used it in Pine Creek so I don't really have an opinion as to how it will wear. Seemed about as stiff as the other Imlay rope but with use it is said to loosen up a bit. I also bought a new silo or bagerino or what ever it is called. I can't say enough good about those things. They are wonderful.
    Life is Good

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    I bought one last week and used it in Pine Creek so I don't really have an opinion as to how it will wear. Seemed about as stiff as the other Imlay rope but with use it is said to loosen up a bit. I also bought a new silo or bagerino or what ever it is called. I can't say enough good about those things. They are wonderful.
    "Bagarino" Scott, Jeesh, it's embroidered right on it...

The new Fire rope is a bit SOFTER than the other Imlay Ropes (due to popular demand). Seems to be holding up well, working as planned.

Unfortunately, I am again out of rope as demand has been higher than anticipated. The Desert Rat and Zion Adventure Company have a decent stock on hand, and Jared at North Wash Oufitters might have also put some stock in. In the SLC area, check the dealers up there:

http://www.imlaycanyongear.com/buyit.php

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia

"Bagarino" Scott, Jeesh, it's embroidered right on it...
    Sorry. My rope and "Bagarino" is at home as I sit here at my office two whole cities away.

To make up for my mistake let me just say again.....

BUY THE BAGARINO - IT ROCKS! now back to your regularly scheduled font.

Life is Good

In the SLC area, check the dealers up there:

http://www.imlaycanyongear.com/buyit.php

Tom
    IME has several in stock now. They look pretty nice.

The new Fire rope is a bit SOFTER than the other Imlay Ropes (due to popular demand). Seems to be holding up well, working as planned.
    One of the ones you lent us was the 8.3mm fire rope, I think? I really, really liked that rope. My Mammut 9mm rope was much cheaper, but in use the reason for the price difference was very obvious indeed.

Do you ship internationally?

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahlizzy
    One of the ones you lent us was the 8.3mm fire rope, I think? I really, really liked that rope. My Mammut 9mm rope was much cheaper, but in use the reason for the price difference was very obvious indeed.

I do, but it is, of course, expensive.

International Shipping is 10$ plus 10% (and usually covers about 60% of the actual shipping).

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by sarahlizzy
    I do, but it is, of course, expensive.

International Shipping is 10$ plus 10% (and usually covers about 60% of the actual shipping).
    Thanks. I may wait until I'm next in the US to buy some then. Definitely want to use this rope in future though, more friction than I was expecting for the diameter, very nice to handle, lighter to carry than the 9mm stuff, and very non-stretchy in use.

Just picked up about 130 ft of the Imlay 8 mm to use as a pull cord and shorter rappels. I purchased it in person at the Recreation Outlet in SLC. Both them and IME in SLC have Imlay Rope in stock if any of you are still looking. Recreation Outlet was super cool to deal with and gave me a sweet deal on a pack along with the rope
    better off outdoors