Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zion - Canyon Overlook Parking Lot to Close

Zion - Canyon Overlook Parking Lot to Close

Canyon Overlook Parking Lot to Temporarily Close

Date: July 24, 2009

Superintendent Jock Whitworth has announced that the Canyon Overlook parking lot will be temporarily closed for four weeks starting Monday, August 3, 2009. Visitors wishing to hike on the Canyon Overlook Trail will need to park in the paved lot 100 yards east of the Canyon Overlook trailhead and use the sidewalk to access the trail. The restroom in the parking lot will remain open.

The Canyon Overlook parking lot was designed and built in the 1930

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That is the Gayest thing i have ever heard. I understand that it get a little crouded but come on if you get to pine creek or spry late there might not be anywhere to park at all even up the road. Maybe there should close it down and only let people with slot canyon permits park there and everyone ese can park up the road by shelf canyon parking. just a thought.
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

"If a permanent closure occurs, backcountry use limits for Pine Creek
    and Spry Canyon may need to be reduced due to the limited available parking."

If closure??? May limit permits??? Any takers that it will not be closed and
    permits will be limited?

My response...AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH..... IDIOTS.... Are you kidding me Zion Park?
    STOP IT. WHY do you hate canyoneers, Zion Park????? Why do you hate groups,
    Zion Park? Why not close the overlook trail and actually favor the canyoneers for once?
    Why sacrifice the canyoneers and the most popular/visited technical route????
    Where is the address for my congressman/senator....Jeeze I am so sick of the policy/bureacracy of that place.

Breath.... Breath......

Respectfully submitted and maybe over reacting at the present (but history says
    otherwise),
    Life is Good

Yeah.... like those 8 parking spots really make a difference to the price of rice in China.

Oh, oh, I know.... close the parking lot to everyone but Canyoneers. Send the tourists up the street and add 100 yards to their big hike. That would seem to make more sense. I don't think you see many, if any, canyoneers driving the mini hotels through the tunnel. (If you do this, don't admit this behavior. You will be shunned ) Let's see 8 stalls or so, times 4-5 people per car in each stall. . . . 32-40 people in the canyon at a time. Hmmm carry the three.... and it takes average 3-4 hours for most groups..... divide by seven.....24 hours in a day....wait a minute here, I think we could raise the limits for Pine Creek!
    Life is Good

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Letters of complaint can be directed to:

Superintendent
    Zion National Park
    Springdale UT 84767

please send a copy to:

Representative Jim Matheson
    321 North Mall Dr., #E101B
    St. George, UT 84790

I suggest 'supporting' efforts to make the area safer for Park Employees and Visitors if the data shows that accidents occur here, but questioning the need for drastic action. AND, stressing that further restricting access to the popular recreational venues Pine Creek and Spry Canyon is unnecessary. Let us compete for parking spaces in a free market of parking spaces!

Tom

I think they are missing the actual problem.
    They should ban oversized vehicles or severly restrict their times.

That way there would be no need of a range and you would have better trafic flow.

or just require people to turn right out of the parking area.

So many better solutions then closing it and/or restricting permits.

Quote Originally Posted by MiCanyoneer
    I think they are missing the actual problem.
    They should ban oversized vehicles or severly restrict their times.

That way there would be no need of a range and you would have better trafic flow.

or just require people to turn right out of the parking area.

So many better solutions then closing it and/or restricting permits.
    Yes, you make sense. But good sense, well, lets not go there. It appears that Zion Park is in search of a justification to a predetermined solution to a non-problem. Reminds me of the DUI check points.
    Life is Good

One more thing in the name of "safety". That's how everyone is gonna be shut out of our public lands. If it's not safe to the average idiot, nobody is going there.

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    Letters of complaint can be directed to:

Superintendent
    Zion National Park
    Springdale UT 84767

please send a copy to:

Representative Jim Matheson
    321 North Mall Dr., #E101B
    St. George, UT 84790

I suggest 'supporting' efforts to make the area safer for Park Employees and Visitors if the data shows that accidents occur here, but questioning the need for drastic action. AND, stressing that further restricting access to the popular recreational venues Pine Creek and Spry Canyon is unnecessary. Let us compete for parking spaces in a free market of parking spaces!

Tom
    Letter written to Zion and Rep. Matheson. I will let you know when I receive a response.
    Life is Good

Get off the couch...

While the closure of the parking lot may be an inconvenience, the reality is, we (the canyoneering community) have no say in the matter. There are too few of us, and there is too much disorganization among the few who care to make any difference.

Pine Creek is a fun, short, warm-up for most of us. Toughen up and enjoy the mandatory extended hike that has been created for you. While upper Pine Creek does not contain any rappells that so many canyoneers desperately crave, it is truly a beautiful and scenic section of canyon. Relish in the opportunity that you have to extend your adventure. Life is too short to worry about walking an extra 500 yards.

Re: Get off the couch...

Quote Originally Posted by JoeAllen
    While the closure of the parking lot may be an inconvenience, the reality is, we (the canyoneering community) have no say in the matter. There are too few of us, and there is too much disorganization among the few who care to make any difference.

Pine Creek is a fun, short, warm-up for most of us. Toughen up and enjoy the mandatory extended hike that has been created for you. While upper Pine Creek does not contain any rappells that so many canyoneers desperately crave, it is truly a beautiful and scenic section of canyon. Relish in the opportunity that you have to extend your adventure. Life is too short to worry about walking an extra 500 yards.
    Perhaps you did not read the whole press release:

Quote Originally Posted by The Park
    If a permanent closure occurs, backcountry use limits for Pine Creek and Spry Canyon may need to be reduced due to the limited available parking.
    The suggested response is to support the Park's goals in creating a safe working environment, but...

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    Tom

Yeah.... I don't know of any canyoneers who really care one way or the other about walking the extra 200-yards..... but reducing the number of Pine Creek permits would really suck.

For the sake of discussion, allow me to play devil's advocate for a moment. What is the current daily allotment of permits for Pine Creek? Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe 50 are available every day. How many canyoneers enjoy descending through Pine Creek with 50 other people? I sure don't. Conversely, on how many days in any given year are all 50 permits taken? I don't have an answer, but I would be interested to find out. My guess is that there are more days that have less than 10 people in the canyon than days where 50 people are in it. By restricting access to Pine Creek under the guise of protecting the safety of park visitors and employees, and reducing the number of permits available, the Park is in essence giving us the opportunity to experience Pine Creek in a more quiet, pristine environment.
    "--and always higher and higher till the sense of height would have terrified you if you could be terrified, but here it was only gloriously exciting."

--C.S. Lewis

the Park is in essence giving us the opportunity to experience Pine Creek in a more quiet, pristine environment.

Quiet and pristine? 50-feet from a major road?

You want to improve on quiet and pristine your time would be better spent outlawing horns and Harley's in the tunnel....

Thanks for the troll to brighten my day....

By restricting access to Pine Creek under the guise of protecting the safety of park visitors and employees, and reducing the number of permits available, the Park is in essence giving us the opportunity to experience Pine Creek in a more quiet, pristine environment.
    Pristine? The canyon starts and finishes from blacktop, you travel under a well travelled road/bridge to gain the canyon, and, it traverses next to a man-made tunnel. Hardly "pristine".

Although, pretty amazing canyon for where it is...

The nice thing about walking down from further up Pine Creek is that you usually don't get hassled to show a permit for the canyon. Worth it, IMHO.

Would be a bummer to reduce the permits available. Nice to have a back up if any of the longer canyons are booked up, and, crowds on any given weekend are a given.

That small parking lot is pretty worthless. Surprised it's lasted this long.

Cheers,

-Brian in SLC

For the sake of discussion, allow me to play devil's advocate for a moment. What is the current daily allotment of permits for Pine Creek? Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe 50 are available every day. How many canyoneers enjoy descending through Pine Creek with 50 other people? I sure don't. Conversely, on how many days in any given year are all 50 permits taken? I don't have an answer, but I would be interested to find out. My guess is that there are more days that have less than 10 people in the canyon than days where 50 people are in it. By restricting access to Pine Creek under the guise of protecting the safety of park visitors and employees, and reducing the number of permits available, the Park is in essence giving us the opportunity to experience Pine Creek in a more quiet, pristine environment.
    The 50 people do not show up at the same time. Even on "days of 50", a more solitudinous experience can be found by starting early or late. Since the canyon takes most parties 2-4 hours to traverse, even on a 'full' day, the saavy canyoneer can have the canyon to themself if they wish.

One of the goals of the Backcountry Plan is to provide "a variety of experiences". Currently, all but a few Zion Canyons are managed to provide a "minimum of social encounters" (as you suggest could be appropriate for Pine Creek). It seems more appropriate to the stated goals to allow some canyons to get somewhat crowded on "full days", and certainly Pine Creek (next to and under the road, easy access, few technical challenges, short, wonderful, resistant to erosion) would be the first pick of canyons to allow to get somewhat crowded at times.

If people are really interested in a zero-social-encounter experience, there are plenty of really good canyons in Zion that will meet your needs. Right Fork, Corral Hollow, SE Fork of Beartrap, Observation Point Canyon, Lodge Cyn, Grotto Canyon, Spearhead Cyn, Telephone Cyn, Boundary, Icebox etc. etc. etc. Please do not insist that ALL the canyons in Zion should be managed for this narrow interest.

Tom

Conversely, on how many days in any given year are all 50 permits taken? I don't have an answer, but I would be interested to find out. .
    In reality, the only days that matter are the days you have available to go. Now statistically speaking, it is different but to the canyoneer, it is when you can go that matters. Last Tuesday, the online permits were all taken. I had to go and add to my permit for a couple of extra guys that were arriving late. That was a not an easy process.
    Life is Good

"More quiet and pristine." 'More' being the critical term. I agree, I do not go down Pine Creek for the solitude nor the peace and quiet. However, I do believe limiting the people in Pine Creek will enhance the experience.

Maybe the park should put signs in the tunnel that say: 'please do not honk your horn, there are people in the canyon below you.'

Better yet, 'In order to protect sensitive plant and animal species, do not honk your horn.' You can do anything in the name of protecting a peregrine.
    "--and always higher and higher till the sense of height would have terrified you if you could be terrified, but here it was only gloriously exciting."

--C.S. Lewis

"More quiet and pristine." 'More' being the critical term. I agree, I do not go down Pine Creek for the solitude nor the peace and quiet. However, I do believe limiting the people in Pine Creek will enhance the experience.

Maybe the park should put signs in the tunnel that say: 'please do not honk your horn, there are people in the canyon below you.'

Better yet, 'In order to protect sensitive plant and animal species, do not honk your horn.' You can do anything in the name of protecting a peregrine.
    You sure seem annoyed with anybody who wants to go to Zion. Maybe you need a new destination. Zion is one of the busiest parks in the state, if you want solitude and quiet, you probably should find another place.