Thread: Canoe trip Ideas

Canoe trip Ideas

So I am new to the Canoe/Paddling thing (other than going down the Jordan river in a canoe or paddling around flat water lakes and fishing) but would like to do a trip down a river here in Utah next spring? Anyhow I don't need/want much if any whitewater but I would like to take my time going down a river with a few other people and our kids. Looking to do something like 3 nights 4 days on the river.

Anyone have some suggestions or ideas? Spring is not a requirement but figured the higher water would help smooth out some of the rougher areas (I may be wrong with this assumption)..
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Actually you want to go on lower water times. The beaches are much better and cleaner then and the water is a lot cleaner and not just pure mud.

Your choices are:

1. Labyrinth canyon on the Green River (3-4 days)
    2. Mineral Bottom on the Green River (2-4 days)
    3. Ruby Horse Thief on Colorado River (2 days)
    4. Section A/B/C on the Green River (below the gorge) (2 days)
    5. San Rafael river (not overnight)
    6. Escalante River

You can google all these names and get a ton of information. Also, you can buy river guides for any of the choices above. Most of the water related stores will carry the books. Wasatch touring, Sid's Sports and REI, Walton's Marina.

Hope this helps.

Ya know I have heard there is some good paddling on the Bear river up north. I do not know what is the best time of year but I would be interested in hooking up with you if you do it.
    See you on the Trail

Green or Colorado

Another option would be the Colorado River putting in a Potash and taking out at the confluence with the Green (jetboat shuttle back up river). The downside to this is you see and hear the jetboats about tiwce a day - going down river and later back up river. The plus side is that there are many canyons to explore and in case of emergency there will generally always be someone coming by sooner or later.

As for the other sections Alex mentions, the Green is really nice. I've done both Green River (the UT town) to Mineral Bottom and Ruby Ranch to the Confluence (Spanish Bottom). On my recent trip, there was a family of four - two adults and two kids - that did the trip just fine...

Also, remember for these sections you have to schedule a shuttle (drop off and ride back up river) in order to get a Canyonlands Park permit since you enter the park on these river sections. Both of these steps are easy to do and there are no limits on permits so the only limiting factor is shuttle date availability. There are at least two outfitters in Moab to choose from.

Given your timeline I'd suggest looking into either Mineral Bottom to the confluence on the Green or Potash to the confluence on the Colorado. Either way I think you'll really enjoy it!

I used my sea kayak for a short trip on the Colorado last year. This photo was taken near the Goose Neck and Dead Horse Point:

A canoe group on the Colorado below Potash last year:

From my solo canoe trip on the Green in early July this year, near Potato Bottom:

greg
    bearcanyon.wordpress.com

I've always wanted to canoe up in the Green River Lakes in the Wind Rivers. I believe it was Shan who posted a few trip reports on this subject.

This is just the information I needed.. Thank you all for your help.. any other information would be great.

Scoutmaster.. I may do a trip this fall with another friend and the Bear looks like a good trip.. if we go I will make sure to let you know when and all that :)
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

very cool I have a canoe and a friend with 3 more so keep me poster
    Matty
    See you on the Trail