Thread: Burro Wash - 18 July 2009

Burro Wash - 18 July 2009

I thought I'd post a trip report for Burro Wash in Capitol Reef National Park b/c its been a while since the last one and thought it was worth the trip.

We started hiking around 9 am and missed the faint mining trail, so ended up going up the side of a cliff and found our way to the top of Burro Wash. There was very little water in the canyon - a handful of places with water and a few mandatory swims up to my waist (I'm 5'11"). There were a number of fun downclimbs and some pretty nice slots.

We did all four rappels and used the webbing that was in place (it looked okay still). On the third rap, we used the tree off to the right looking down canyon. There was, however, webbing set up just before you get to the tree, that was set up on some rocks which would have dropped you down into the pothole. There was no water between the third and fourth rap (unlike what is shown in Shane's TR). I think it took us just under 7 hours, maybe because we missed the trail which added to our time. We left our car at the very end of the trail as well, rather than driving about 1.5-2 miles up canyon. Here are some pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images          

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Re: TR - Burro Wash - 18 July 2009

Quote Originally Posted by robjenson
    I thought I'd post a trip report for Burro Wash in Capitol Reef National Park b/c its been a while since the last one and thought it was worth the trip.

We started hiking around 9 am and missed the faint mining trail, so ended up going up the side of a cliff and found our way to the top of Burro Wash. There was very little water in the canyon - a handful of places with water and a few mandatory swims up to my waist (I'm 5'11"). There were a number of fun downclimbs and some pretty nice slots.

We did all four rappels and used the webbing that was in place (it looked okay still). On the third rap, we used the tree off to the right looking down canyon. There was, however, webbing set up just before you get to the tree, that was set up on some rocks which would have dropped you down into the pothole. There was no water between the third and fourth rap (unlike what is shown in Shane's TR). I think it took us just under 7 hours, maybe because we missed the trail which added to our time. We left our car at the very end of the trail as well, rather than driving about 1.5-2 miles up canyon. Here are some pics:
    Yee Haw! Looks like fun. Nice looking rope there.

A point of nomenclature:
    If a "swim" does not require swimming, it is called a "wade".

Tom

good catch - thanks for pointing that out tom!

Nice TR

I really like Burro Wash. I think it is one of the more underrated canyoneering routes around. And it's probably the closet slot time wise to Northern Utah, which is a bonus.