Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New SPOT

New SPOT

http://gearjunkie.com/new-spot-satellite-gps-messenger

Couldn't find a post on this - but it looks a little better.
    Biking, Hiking, and Fishing are life. Everything else is just fluff.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: New SPOT

Quote Originally Posted by brookiekiller
    http://gearjunkie.com/new-spot-satellite-gps-messenger

Couldn't find a post on this - but it looks a little better.
    I saw this at the Outdoor Retailer show when it was unveiled.. much smaller and had fixes for most complaints and issues that have been stated.. should be out in October or November..
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Depending on price, I might upgrade when available :)
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

I just called them and it's not available until this fall and they are more than likely going to have an upgrade offer for existing users. I'm definitely going to get one. I've had a few occasions where the unit got turned on and sent out messages without me knowing. Luckily they were not 911 or help calls.

This is great news.

Spent a lot of time talking to them about it at the outdoor retailer show with survivor man (Literally) hovering around..

Like I said it should be out in October or November for the holiday sales

you can transfer your account over to a new unit

They "May" have a a program for discounts on upgrades

the antana isn't will work better in any direction and best in the up and down position now so you don't have to strap it flat to the top of your bag

it will come with a neoprene case with an armband thing too.

it will now transmit your last 2 and the current tracking information every time it sends tracking information for more accurate tracks and fewer holes in the track as well.
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

I am glad they upgraded the workings of these units. The current ones are extremely slow to acquire your location as compared to most newer gps units and forget about it in any tree cover whatsoever. The new generation of satellites that they are sending up are using a different signal and are giving us much more usability in trees and such. Once they have enough of them in orbit you should even be able to get locations inside buildings. So we were told at the last Trimble GPS conference I went to. They said that they hope to have that accomplished by 2015-2020.

The person I talked to made it sound like it was a for sure thing for a discount on upgrades. I guess we will have to wait and see.

I was going to do the sign up for two years and get a free spot, think I'll wait until the new unit comes out and take a chance there'll be another free spot offer. Thanks for the heads up.
    Peter

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    bump

there is a rebate offer to trade in or purchase the new version for existing users.

$25 rebate for just new spot
    $50 rebate new spot plus 1 year service extension
    $75 rebate new spot plus 2 year service extension

edit: read and wrote it wrong. now correct.

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner
    bump

there is a rebate offer to trade in or purchase the new version for existing users.

$25 after rebate for just new spot
    $50 after rebate new spot plus 1 year service extension
    $75 after rebate new spot plus 2 year service extension
    Yep, picked mine up from REI earlier today, and will be sending in my rebate stuff tomorrow
    Randy Langstraat

SPOT had a recall on early version of the SPOT II.
    I would double check the serial numbers to make sure your retailer sold you the fixed version.
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RedMan
    I would double check the serial numbers to make sure your retailer sold you the fixed version.
    I have been on the fence about getting a SPOT but my wife wants one for her trail runs, a few days ago I went searching for one but no-one seems to have any in stock that are not the recalled ones...

I looked around and they do seem to out of stock. GPS City does show them but I'm not sure they're fresh ones:

http://www.gpscity.com/spot-2-satell...messenger.html

I got mine at Bo's store, I'll check with him when I'm ready. You have until June 1st exchange and get the Rebate.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

they just started shipping limited quantities of the fixed units
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

I picked mine up at REI two days ago. Got everything registered and tested. Seems to work as described, I got the initial OK message within 24 mins of turning the unit on for the first time. Haven't sent a second OK signal yet.

This is what it says on their site:
    If you have a SPOT 2 unit with an ESN number equal to or less than
    0-8053925, please complete the simple Product Return Form below to return your SPOT 2 unit for replacement.
    Mine has a serial number: 0-806xxxx

So whatever they have in stock is good. Just FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by RedMan
    that's why I waited for rei to get a shipment of non-recalled devices before I bought one
    Randy Langstraat

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    edit: nevermind.

Is it really worth $125, after rebate, to upgrade? My old one seems to work fine.

What's the recall supposed to fix? Can someone post a link to the info as to which serial numbers are affected? Thanks.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

ESN 0-8053925, spot II only.

Its worth checking.

Quote Originally Posted by kkemp
    Is it really worth $125, after rebate, to upgrade? My old one seems to work fine.
    The separate buttons for each function is nice. I also like that the Help and SOS buttons are covered. There's an addition custom message button added. The GPS chipset is better, so GPS acquisition is faster and more reliable. The device does not need to face up to work. The addition indicator lights are nice, too. Of course the smaller size is good, too. It was worth the price to upgrade, IMO.
    Randy Langstraat