Thread: Ding and Dang??

Ding and Dang??

We are mostly "ruin hikers" but have been kicking around doing Ding and Dang in the next few days, as we live closer to those than to Bluff. We have done some of the easy slots in Escalante, but nothing technical. My question is ~ Do we NEED ropes to do D&D? I saw Iceaxe on his site CL - UT recommends ropes ( which is a good idea) but would I be setting myself up if I don't take an?. Really don't have any myself......always have friends bring them if we need them on a hike. Not too worried about the heat now.....will make that decision when we get there....use to that.
    Thanks much guys
    "You're not lost...if you don't care where you are"
    Grand Gulch /Cedar Mesa Rock Art Hats

To learn more about the ruins of SE Utah:
    Visit Beyond Mesa Verde
    Visit Anasazi Ruins

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Ding and Dang??

Quote Originally Posted by Climb-Utah.com
    I suggest bringing a 30' rope for lowering packs and possible emergency use.
    Ropes are NOT required for Ding and Dang. The quote above means it is a good idea to have a short rope along on your trip in case you need it for some reason. Experinced hikers should have no problems in Ding and Dang.

Ding & Dang Canyon
    http://climb-utah.com/SRS/dingdang.htm

Thx ~ Iceaxe
    "You're not lost...if you don't care where you are"
    Grand Gulch /Cedar Mesa Rock Art Hats

To learn more about the ruins of SE Utah:
    Visit Beyond Mesa Verde
    Visit Anasazi Ruins

There was a rope set up in Dang when we went a few years ago which made it easier to step down without risking a decent fall. It was new and solid then but I believe you can bypass this via a ledge on one side. This pic was taken where the canyon narrows down. Right after this spot, it gets narrow and there are a dozen or so chockstones on they way out which can be tricky but doable w/out ropes for sure.

I prefer to climb up rather then down so I like to hike up Dang then down Ding. I would bring along a 20' piece of webbing.. not for you but to loan out to all the unprepared hikers you will find in the canyon. Last trip we ran into an lady who was hiking solo and was "stuck" until we helped her down, 5min later I gave my 20' of webbing to some family with 5 kids who were already having some issues on the first drop in dang.
    Last time we did this canyon there was 12 people lined up to climb down that spot. But its easier to just go around on the right side (if your going down)