Thread: TR: King for a Day

TR: King for a Day

Shoot, I think this might be the first time I've ever started a topic in this forum!

KING FOR A DAY

It

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

You friggin' slayed them Dan. That looks like so much fun.

That is a gorgeous fish! So probably a stupid question, but is that a salmon? I've never seen one that red. Usually only the back half. And about 30 lbs, 40 lbs?

Awesome stuff man and great report. Classic he broke your pole too.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

thanks acca and DC.

yes, the kings are king salmon. the first three were between 25 and 35 pounds. the last one came in at 40. so not "huge" but it is a legitimate 40 (we had a scale.) i think most people would eyeball it and hold it up and say it was 50 or 60.

at any rate, i felt every single one of those 40 pounds for sure. my arms are still sore this morning.

Beautiful! Great story, too! That net shot is amazing.

Funny, that last photo you can't see your right leg. It looks like you're just really, really excited about the fish...

What an awesome story Dan! Thanks

epic story

I've gotta question. When I see people holding up those monsters, I imagine one tail flip and it's out of my hands, just because I wouldn't be able to control a fish like that in my hands. Are they dead at this point?

I only say this in thinking of when I fish, I've got to squeeze the trout pretty tight to keep them from slipping out of my hands.

Or is it that the Kings just don't fight that much once they're out of the water?

kev, i was excited... no photoshop there.

'beech, there is no way i could hold that fish if it were alive. that guy is knocked out cold. although you can sometimes get the smaller ones to hold still for a second, and it is considerably easier to hold them up once you have them by the tail.

THAT is some SERIOUS fish there, Carpey. Congrats on the fantastic catch. How much meat did you end up getting out of that sucker?

Also, I'm always curious to find out what people may have found in the stomach of the fish they catch, especially the big ones like yours. I don't suppose you looked.

Wicked cool fish.

I didn't know people ate the spawners. I heard they had mushy meat.

Still an awesome king. Nice, NICE work.
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

yeah, the meat is probably not as good as a king that hasn't made the run yet, but we are relatively close to the ocean, and each fish varies. this one was in pretty good shape. haven't tried the meat yet from this particular fish, but it is generally very good.

spawning salmon are a huge food source up here... have been for hundreds, maybe thousands of years. reds and silvers are preferred to kings for taste in most cases, but they are still quite tasty.

That is a huge fish!
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

Awesome fish and story to go with it. I've caught a few big fish in my day and it's always a thrill.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com