Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mr. Heaps Yesterday

Mr. Heaps Yesterday

Shaun, Andy, Elaine, Lyle and I had a really fun trip into Heaps yesterday. We celebrated Lyles birthday in good manner.

Began our hiking at 5:20AM from the Grotto, were suiting up at I believe at around 9:30; Crossroads at around 1:40; at the last series of drops somewhere around 6?

Just one hook out of the "Arch Hole". Lots of beached whale manuevers in the 53 potholes. Set up one "guided rap" over one particularly deep hole.

We bumped into a group of 3 at the last series of drops so we chilled as they set up the lines. (We gave them our ropes). Back at the vehicle at 9:30.

I believe that Shaun took a few photos? Maybe Andy too? One of the guys in the other group that spent overnight said that he took 400 shots? Hope I can get a CD from him!

Anyway a good day with good friends! Happy Birthday Lyle, and thanks for driving Andy, and thanks for the 300' rope Shaun. I think Elaine is hooked on Canyons too. This was her second canyon. We had done Birch Hollow-Orderville-Narrows a few weeks back. She didn't care a lot for the Narrows walking (footing), and everytime I would suggest that now we are entering another set of Narrows she would shudder! Heaps was beautiful as always!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Mr. Heaps Yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck
    This was her second canyon.

Well, you picked a good one for a second canyon!

If you keep up that progression, your next canyon together will be rapping through Class 5 rapids!

-----
    "It's a miracle curiosity survives formal education" - Albert Einstein

For a good time, check out my blog. or update the CanyonWiki

Re: Mr. Heaps Yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by Ryebrye
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck
    This was her second canyon.

Well, you picked a good one for a second canyon!

If you keep up that progression, your next canyon together will be rapping through Class 5 rapids!

She's a tough gal! I never saw the smile leave her face except when she'd pop up from a particularly cold plunge and it was a look of shock!

My first trip into Heaps back in the mid 90's via "Gunsight" included 2 friends. Mike had done Mystery with me once, and his boss Mark, I had taken out to teach him to rappel a couple days before our trip into Heaps!
    I believe my and Tanyas trip into Kolob Creek with 5-6CFS was Tanyas second canyon trip as well. It's always fun to take folks into the longer, funner, deeper, scarier canyons early on then the shorter, easier canyons are even that much funner. Don't need to be intimidated and can soak in the full enjoyment that way!

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Sure was fun. I'm fealing it today though. Pothole after pothole of beach whale pulling. Noticing all these battle wounds. Only took a few pics. I was thinking more about keeping a good time and making it through alive. Counting driving time, it was a 20 hour day for me. I want to take a nap. After that I'll look over my pics and post a trip report.

Thanks again Bo

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner
    Sure was fun. I'm fealing it today though. Pothole after pothole of beach whale pulling. Noticing all these battle wounds. Only took a few pics. I was thinking more about keeping a good time and making it through alive. Counting driving time, it was a 20 hour day for me. I want to take a nap. After that I'll look over my pics and post a trip report.

Thanks again Bo
    Yee-haw! Glad you made it home in one piece Shaun! Thanks to you and the others for a great time. It had been 6 years since my last visit, and I definately had a great group to enjoy it with!

On another note: for those that have the trip planned soon. The water levels seemed quite low, but presented no real major tasks to overcome other than the normal Heaps conditions (if Heaps really throws a "normal" conditions scenario?). Certainly a "physical day" with a lot of testy tugging, pulling, scrambling, climbing, stemming, sliding, lowering, downclimbing and etc. The "monsoons" showed a shadow as we were in the lower narrows with thunder and some sprinkles. Certainly a motivator to work efficiently and quickly to arrive at the end so we could scramble out of harms way in the event of a "flash". The water temps were not as cold as I have experienced in my past trips, but a thick wetsuit made the trip much more relaxing. I recommend an Imlay Heaps pack or some sort of "quick draining pack". Shaun and Lyles packs even with the bottoms slashed weighed a TON as they were raised out of the many potholes and log jams. Andy and I each had Imlay Canyon Gear Heaps packs and WHAT A JOY those packs are! Elaines Vaude pack blew all of the zippers early on and ended up in my pack. I took a drill and hammer, but it was not needed. The only pothole that I hooked had a beautiful hole 10" above water level and was perfect to hook and step up and reach the lip maybe 5' above. One pothole let me shove my pack up into the saddle and use as a bit of a handhold to "Whale" up onto. There was a deep pothole nearing the bottom of the narrows that required a wide stem for 8' and then downclimb into a saddle. I then slid into a pool, swam downstream, walked 100' down the wash and hooked into a root of a tree to set up a guided rap over that deep pothole. It worked out pretty slick. All and all it was a pretty "normal" Heaps trip and conditions, albeit the canyon has never had consistent conditions in the dozen or so trips I've enjoyed over the years.

Bo, glad to hear that you guys are safe and had a great time. I look forward to seeing some pictures.
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

That made great reading, thanks for the report! Can only hope to do a canyon like Heaps one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia
    Bo, glad to hear that you guys are safe and had a great time. I look forward to seeing some pictures.
    Thanks Felicia. The group that we bumped into at the end said that they had taken hundreds of pictures. I am hoping that I can get hold of some of their pictures? For now it's off to SLC and the OR show. Back in a week and hope I can ask Alan for some pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by sarahlizzy
    That made great reading, thanks for the report! Can only hope to do a canyon like Heaps one day.
    I'm sure that you'll find your way into Heaps soon enough. After reading of your adventures it seems that you are itching to test out all of the new canyons one at a time!

I'm with sarahlizzy on this one, Heaps has been a dream for a while...hopefully someday!

Great TR, loved readin it!
    better off outdoors

Its on my list for this year. Whens the best time of year?
    Don`t be afraid your life will end be afraid it will never begin fear is the thief of all dreams...

Bogley BigShot
    We want pictures!!!

Nice job Bo and others. What a great canyon Heaps is. Thanks for the details. Helps me relive my adventures there and brightens my day at the office.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    We want pictures!!!
    Like I said I didn't take many pictures I was thinking about moving quickly to get out alive. So no cool action shots. Next time.
    Attached Images Attached Images                         

Thanks again Bo
    Glad we finally got the chance to hike with ropes together in the Classic Heaps! Not too sure I've gotten the relaxation I truly wanted up here at OR, but the roster is complete for my next "Hike with a rope" and descent into Heaps again next friday!

Bogley BigShot
    They are not bad considering you were rushed and worried about your life. I have not seen too many photos from that canyon?

Bo heard a rumor that it's your birthday today?

Lucky that you get to go back next Friday. I'm already looking to my next return.

Bo heard a rumor that it's your birthday today?

Lucky that you get to go back next Friday. I'm already looking to my next return.
    Don't know where you heard that? Someone was WAY OFF BASE! I wasn't born today? I was born 53 years ago!

My Trip Report

Heaps

I was excited to finally get to do this canyon especially since the weather was perfect for July. The day started early in the morning driving to the park to meet Bo and others at the canyon junction. They needed me since I was the one with the long rope. That

Re: My Trip Report

[quote=trackrunner]Heaps

I was excited to finally get to do this canyon especially since the weather was perfect for July.
    Thanks Bo, Lyle, Elaine & the other group we caught for such a great time. Sometimes a great adventure isn