Thread: Good food suggestions for an overnight pack trip

Good food suggestions for an overnight pack trip

I don't want to spend a bunch of money on dehydrated or freeze-dried stuff, and I'm tired of instant oatmeal and instant potato packets. So, what I'm looking for are some good ideas for meals for an overnight trip. I want to eat good without getting spendy or having to carry the whole kitchen on my back.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

It sounds like you want your cake and eat it too!

On a serious note, I always used Mountain Houses. If you don't want to spend the money you could freeze your own foods. What we do on rafting trips now is cook eggs/sausage for example at home. Then seal pack it in a bag and freeze it. Then when the time comes to eat, just throw the bag into boiling water and you have a fresh breakfast.

If you are carrying it in a backpack, you could get ice packs to keep the food frozen.

If you don't want dehydrated foods, get ready to carry a lot more weight (ice). Another option of course are the cans. That was the choice for backpackers before the commercial MREs/dehydrated packs came out.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    It sounds like you want your cake and eat it too!

On a serious note, I always used Mountain Houses. If you don't want to spend the money you could freeze your own foods. What we do on rafting trips now is cook eggs/sausage for example at home. Then seal pack it in a bag and freeze it. Then when the time comes to eat, just throw the bag into boiling water and you have a fresh breakfast.

If you are carrying it in a backpack, you could get ice packs to keep the food frozen.

If you don't want dehydrated foods, get ready to carry a lot more weight (ice). Another option of course are the cans. That was the choice for backpackers before the commercial MREs/dehydrated packs came out.
    So, how long are the frozen things good for? Do you keep them on ice? I guess I do want my cake and eat it too. I'd even like the backpacking equivalent of a dutch oven, without the weight.

This site has many ideas for packing food you can assemble from things you can buy in the grocery store:

LINK

I always like the noodles & butter. Throw in a few spices & MMM MMM!

Beef Jerky, Cliff bars, Crackers, a chunk of cheese and a beef stick. I can live on this for 4-5 days with no problems and you don't need to carry a stove :)

oh yes and some trail mix of some sort
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Just for an overnight, it wouldn't be hard. Leave the stove at home, take crackers, cheese and hard salami for dinner, and a bananna and bagel for breakfast.

Dont forget trail mix.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnman1830
    Just for an overnight, it wouldn't be hard. Leave the stove at home, take crackers, cheese and hard salami for dinner, and a bananna and bagel for breakfast.

Dont forget trail mix.
    We had originally planned on one night, but now we will be gone for two nights, probably beginning early on a Thursday and coming home after lunch sometime on Saturday. Trail mix is always on my shopping list though. And I like your other ideas as well.

I've watched friends buy a burrito at the local eatery and eatbitb the next day on Saturday hiking trip without any refrigeration. Not sure how safe it is but they have always been fine.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

For an overnight, this idea has always appealed to me but I've never tried it.

http://www.hallmarkchannel.com/home-...th-dian-thomas

Maybe just better for a hot lucnh on an autumn day hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnman1830 View Post

Dont forget trail mix.
    Y
    ou carn't go wrong, easy, light and tasty

for diner, dry pasta, one red onion diced fresh, dried tomatoes, spices,some salami etc

pan fry onion in olive oil, then add cut salami and dried tomatoes and any other odds and ends

mix with freshly cooked strained pasta

i did this one evg on the flank of mt Shasta, I cooked for two

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_outdoors View Post
    for diner, dry pasta, one red onion diced fresh, dried tomatoes, spices,some salami etc

pan fry onion in olive oil, then add cut salami and dried tomatoes and any other odds and ends

mix with freshly cooked strained pasta

i did this one evg on the flank of mt Shasta, I cooked for two
    Here is a list of food we can take and also these food are good to carry during trekking. I found this food list when i was searching for the same on internet.
    trail mix.
    nuts, seeds, nut-based bars or nut butter packs.
    dried or freeze-dried fruits and veggies.
    energy bars, chews or gels.
    granola or granola bars.
    ready-made tuna salad pouches.
    whole-grain tortillas.
    poultry, salmon or meat jerky.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundan View Post
    I often use a thermos to take cream soup with me. It is quite nutritious and overnight the soup will not deteriorate and will be hot.
    Rockgremlin has a platinum thermos, do you have a platinum thermos?
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

What I normally do is I have a mini stove (it's portable and light) if you have that then you can copy what I do. I first add uncooked rice in boiling water while adding some bacon / spam, add some soy sauce , little bit of lemon , pepper and salt. You now have a hot soup..instead of eating oatmeal but If don't want to cook my go to is just crackers and instant soup/ramen (just add some water)

I love to have a burger and waffles for an overnight in Hashtag Burgers & Waffles in Fortitude Valley. They offer a massive variety of types of burgers, including the best chicken burger Brisbane, beef burgers, vegetarian burger, sides and desserts!

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    mmmm---freeze dried burgers and waffles washed down with freeze dried beer.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?