Thread: Class C practice

Class C practice

Occationally I'm asked.... "where is a good place to practice for a class C canyon?"

The places I know of are Rocky Mouth Canyon in Draper, Battle Creek above Pleasent Groove, and Faux Falls in Moab.

Anyone know of any other places?

Rocky Mouth info:
    http://climb-utah.com/WM/rockymouth.htm

I'll post a route description to Faux Falls in the next few days for anyone who needs it.

If someone has directions to Battle Creek please post them. Only time I have played at Battle Creek was to do some ice climbing with Jumar.

Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Heughes Canyon on the east side of the Salt Lake Valley is another spot. Access just east of Wasatch Boulevard, north of 6200 S.

Yeah but ...

What is meant by Class C practice? Waterfall in photo will provide practice on slippery rock and water beating you on the ankles, but not serious Class C. No serious current, no hydraulic at the bottom, no syphons or undercuts, etc.

ACA Canyon Rating System was modified several months ago to distinguish between levels of Class C:

Class C
    Normally has water with current. Waterfalls. Expect to do some deep wading and/or swimming in current. Wetsuit or drysuit may be required depending on water and air temperatures. Class C canyons may be rated more precisely using the following (optional) system:

C1 - Normally has water with light to moderate current. Easy water hazards.

C2 - Normally has water with strong current. Water hazards like hydraulics and siphons require advanced skills and special care.

C3 - Normally has water with very strong current. Dangerous water hazards. Experts only.

C4 - Extreme problems and hazards will be difficult to overcome, even for experienced experts with strong swimming skills.

Waterfall in photo is C1.
    Rich Carlson, Instructor
    YouTube Channel: CanyonsCrags

Bridal Veil Falls

It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by rcwild
    What is meant by Class C practice?
    95% of the folks who ask me are just looking for a fun and easy to access place to play in the water. Many just want to work out a few wrinkles before tackling Kolob or Pleiades.

YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by uintahiker
    Heughes Canyon on the east side of the Salt Lake Valley is another spot. Access just east of Wasatch Boulevard, north of 6200 S.
    I know a spot about 2 miles up Heughes just after the trail crosses the rock slide where the creek goes through a short narrow slot and over a small waterfall. Is that the spot you are thinking of or do you know anther?

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    Bridal Veil Falls
    I've practiced there in winter.... does that count?

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Was just up at Hidden Falls BCC. Looked like it had potential. Of coarse C1 but it had a pool where you could practice setting rope length and possibly a guided rappel to overcome a mythical opstical in the pool to practice.

Also know there are a couple falls in the water course above Donut Falls.

I am unaware of anything over C1 (during normal flows) to practice along the Wasatch Front.

edited to switch wording so it didn't sound like Donut Falls was above C1 class.

Quote Originally Posted by rcwild
    C1 - Normally has water with light to moderate current. Easy water hazards.

C2 - Normally has water with strong current. Water hazards like hydraulics and siphons require advanced skills and special care.

C3 - Normally has water with very strong current. Dangerous water hazards. Experts only.

C4 - Extreme problems and hazards will be difficult to overcome, even for experienced experts with strong swimming skills.
    I'm curious..... how do you work this into the ratings? What is C3 or C4 in the the spring is often C2 in mid summer and C1 in the fall..... or WI4 in winter.

Do you rate highest flow (most difficult condition), similar to climbing routes?

Or do you rate Standard Season? and if season shouldn't the season be included in the rating?

Just want to know if I see 3C4 III what exactly I'm looking at...... or does such an animal even exist? Doesn't the C4 rating bump the grade to a 4... so it would be 4C4 III... would such a canyon also get an R or X risk factor?

Thanks in advance for helping us understand your new rating system.

Re: Class C practice

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    If someone has directions to Battle Creek please post them.
    Battle Creek TH Map
    Just hike 10-15 min up canyon for the falls.

The modifications came about the same way the original system was developed -- by soliciting input from the canyoneering community. Some wanted us to revamp the entire system to align with a system the French developed a few years ago. But the majority of people preferred adding onto the original rating system, in part so existing ratings did not become obsolete.

Like all ratings, the system applies to canyons in "normal" conditions in "normal" season. Canyons that are normally 3B can be Class C in early spring or following heavy rains. Does the beta for all 3B canyons include the season? Using PNW canyons as an example -- normal season is very short -- basically just late July and August. A canyon might be C2 during that normal season, but C4 earlier in the year. The canyon would be rated C2.

This Class C system is optional. I'm guessing people will really only use it where there are diverse flows. Virtually every canyon in Utah that has flow is C1, so why bother. Just call it Class C. People should understand what a Utah Class C canyon is. Virtually every canyon in the San Gabriels in California is C1, too. Arizona has some C1 and C2. Colorado, Washington and the Sierras have everything from C1 to C4. Beta for Arizona might need to include the distinctions. Beta for CO, WA and Sierras certainly should.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    I'm curious..... how do you work this into the ratings? What is C3 or C4 in the the spring is often C2 in mid summer and C1 in the fall..... or WI4 in winter.

Do you rate highest flow (most difficult condition), similar to climbing routes?

Or do you rate Standard Season? and if season shouldn't the season be included in the rating?

Just want to know if I see 3C4 III what exactly I'm looking at...... or does such an animal even exist? Doesn't the C4 rating bump the grade to a 4... so it would be 4C4 III... would such a canyon also get an R or X risk factor?
    Rich Carlson, Instructor
    YouTube Channel: CanyonsCrags

I know a spot about 2 miles up Heughes just after the trail crosses the rock slide where the creek goes through a short narrow slot and over a small waterfall. Is that the spot you are thinking of or do you know anther?
    It's been a while since I was up there, but I think that sounds about right. There's a pipe and in a vertical shaft that's just downstream from the waterfall. I know there's 2 falls up there, but didn't make it to the upper falls to check them out. The lower falls was what I was thinking of.

Some people might be confused about Heughes Canyon. It's also known as Hughes Canyon or most commonly Heughs Canyon. It's just south of Mount Olympus. More info: http://www.wasatchmountainclub.org/r...ve/may2009.pdf
    http://www.summitpost.org/route/1655...uth-route.html

Rapping through Donut Falls sounds pretty awesome- has anyone done it? If you have, show us the pictures!

That's the spot I'm thinking of.... I grew up just below Heughs Canyon in Cottonwood. I think that was the first "wilderness" my mother let me explore on my own. When I was 12, me and my buddies would backpack up and stay overnight at the falls you are talking about. There is a great campsite about 50 yards above the falls.... or at least there was.... it's been 20 years since I was last in that canyon. We used to explore the short slot and several mines in the canyon.

Rapping through Donut Falls sounds pretty awesome- has anyone done it?
    I've considered that stunt rappel several times.... never done it....

I went up Heughs about 16 months ago or so with my wife and one of her friends. We had fun up to the waterfall, and looked around a bit. It's one of the lesser known canyons around, but definitely worth the trip. I'd like to go back up there sometime with more time to spend. Make it to the upper falls, and look at some more of the mines, etc. This time without having my wife's friend tag along.

Since the drop through Donut is maybe 10 feet, it definitely is a stunt- just because how popular the place is. The looks on people's faces would be hilarious! You've gotta go up there and do it- then post a TR! I'd do it if I wasn't living in Colorado right now...

Anyone know of any other places?
    Deer Creek and Garden Creek in GC National Park are class C's.

If someone has directions to Battle Creek please post them.
    I don't think Battle Creek would make a good canyoneering trip since you walk to the bottom and top of the falls. The best you could do would be to rap the falls, but you wouldn't see anything different.

Lost Creek on the South side of Timp would be much better, but you have to hit it soon as the creek has a small flow late summer and the approach is asteep off-trail scramble.

Slide Canyon might be good, but I haven't been in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P
    I don't think Battle Creek would make a good canyoneering trip
    We were talking about places to "practice", not actual routes, which is why Battle Creek is mentioned.... but than I guess it kinda turned into routes......

Here are directions to some of the waterfalls named for anyone interested.... also a pic....

If nothing else these are all great family hikes

Faux Falls - Moab
    http://climb-utah.com/Moab/faux.htm.

Hidden Falls - Wasatch Mountains
    http://climb-utah.com/WM/hiddenfalls.htm

Donut Falls - Wasatch Mountains
    http://climb-utah.com/WM/donut.htm

Rocky Mouth - Wasatch Mountains
    http://climb-utah.com/WM/rockymouth.htm

Faux Falls

Hidden Falls

Donut Falls

Rocky Mouth

I've done Battlecreek, Rocky Mouth, Upper Falls (in Provo Canyon), Hidden Falls (BCC) which was kind of boring, Lisa Falls (LCC) low angle, Provo Falls also very low angle....
    I was wondering about Grove Creek...looked like there were a series of falls up near where the trail crosses the stream. They may be short and low angle, but couldn't tell for sure.