Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Utah College Football

  1. #1

    Utah College Football

    Is it too early to start talking about the upcoming season? I just loaded all the Utah games on my calendar yesterday. The Utes will start by kicking USU in the teeth, while the Cougars will get a good thrashing at Texas Stadium to start their debut. Do the Cougs have a slogan this year? I hope they choose wisely...



  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many
     

  3. #2
    I noticed the recent committment from a CB out of California. He'll come in handy. He'll be especially fun against TDS.

    The Name- Joseph Smith.

    The prediction- He'll rock as a Jr!

    I can imagine the play action "Heaps drops back to pass for Brigham Young...looking...looking...nobody's open...he throws left...OH MY GOODNESS! Joseph Smith steps in front of the reciever for the interception! He's going...dodges a tackler...jukes Heaps into looking silly...He's gone! JOSEPH SMITH TAKES IT IN FOR A PICK-6 AGAINST BRIGHAM YOUNG!

    You've gotta admit- with a name like that in this rivalry, the kid is destined for greatness.

  4. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by uintahiker
    I noticed the recent committment from a CB out of California. He'll come in handy. He'll be especially fun against TDS.

    The Name- Joseph Smith.

    The prediction- He'll rock as a Jr!

    I can imagine the play action "Heaps drops back to pass for Brigham Young...looking...looking...nobody's open...he throws left...OH MY GOODNESS! Joseph Smith steps in front of the reciever for the interception! He's going...dodges a tackler...jukes Heaps into looking silly...He's gone! JOSEPH SMITH TAKES IT IN FOR A PICK-6 AGAINST BRIGHAM YOUNG!

    You've gotta admit- with a name like that in this rivalry, the kid is destined for greatness.
    You got an address for this Joseph Smith feller? I will send the missionaries over there. Its not too late to change his mind... Go Cougs....
    Life is Good

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by uintahiker
    I noticed the recent committment from a CB out of California. He'll come in handy. He'll be especially fun against TDS.

    The Name- Joseph Smith.

    The prediction- He'll rock as a Jr!

    I can imagine the play action "Heaps drops back to pass for Brigham Young...looking...looking...nobody's open...he throws left...OH MY GOODNESS! Joseph Smith steps in front of the reciever for the interception! He's going...dodges a tackler...jukes Heaps into looking silly...He's gone! JOSEPH SMITH TAKES IT IN FOR A PICK-6 AGAINST BRIGHAM YOUNG!

    You've gotta admit- with a name like that in this rivalry, the kid is destined for greatness.


  6. #5
    seems to me the utes problem last year was that they gave a lot of usu's a good thrashing.

    just saying. rather be playing Oklahoma and building sos than playing powder puff flag football (ok, i concede usu is better than that by leaps and bounds, but still).

    Good luck to the Utes and to the Cougs this year. May somebody in our conference finally pee all over the BCS.

  7. #6
    Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    indoors wanting to be outdoors
    Posts
    3,216
    Quote Originally Posted by cilantro13
    seems to me the utes problem last year was that they gave a lot of usu's a good thrashing.

    just saying. rather be playing Oklahoma and building sos than playing powder puff flag football (ok, i concede usu is better than that by leaps and bounds, but still).

    Good luck to the Utes and to the Cougs this year. May somebody in our conference finally pee all over the BCS.
    What were you watching last year? Utah not only peed on the BCS but took a big dump on it by beating Alabama in the Sugar Bowl last year. Beat Alabama by more than Florida did. Also this isn't the first time Utah has crashed the BCS they did it before.

    Also who had the stronger strength of schedule last year, Utah or BYU? Answer: Utah.

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner
    What were you watching last year? Utah not only peed on the BCS but took a big dump on it by beating Alabama in the Sugar Bowl last year. Beat Alabama by more than Florida did. Also this isn't the first time Utah has crashed the BCS they did it before.
    As I remember it, Utah was undefeated last year. They were the only undefeated team. They played tough games and had good SOS.

    And you are happy that you got to play and beat Alabama? I don't get it. Utah got royally screwed by the BCS last year and should have been playing for the title. As the Alabama game proved, they were of the same caliber as any top flight program in the nation.

    Taking the BCS's table scraps as Utah has done twice and BYU once (1996) is not my idea of "peeing on" or taking "a big dump on" BCS. It is getting pee'd on by the BCS.

    I'm glad for Utah and cheered the entire game while they wiped Alabama from endzone to endzone. Alabama got scrubbed. And you know what, beating Alabama by more than Florida did... big wow. Florida won the national championship because they got to play in the title game and Utah got a nice pat on the head.

    Utah should have never been playing Alabama. They should have been playing Florida in the title game. So if you are happy with the result from last year, fine. But at the end of the day, Utah and the entire Mountain West got pee'd on by the BCS. And I for one remain pissed that Utah was overlooked.

    And it seems backwards that a Cougar is more pissed about this than a Ute.

    Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner
    Also who had the stronger strength of schedule last year, Utah or BYU? Answer: Utah.
    Conceded. I said nothing of Utah's strength of schedule last year. I was merely pointing out with the usu comment that commentators use games like usu to justify why utah didn't deserve the title game, irrespective of SOS.

    What I am saying is that the entire conference benefits when all the teams have tough SOS. As a practical matter, Utah is a fine team and I root for them except when they play the Cougars. (But I realize that it is easier for many BYU fans because we are out of staters who don't really care about and never did care about the Utah game any more than we do the UNLV game.)

    What's good for Utah is usually good for the Cougars, so I say that we save the rivalry talk for the game and get on the same page for non-conference play: let's go out and beat the toughest teams that we can so that next time BYU or Utah is undefeated, we are invited to the real party.

    Rant over.



    And to show my goodwill (albeit cranky good will): ;-)

  9. #8
    (But I realize that it is easier for many BYU fans because we are out of staters who don't really care about and never did care about the Utah game any more than we do the UNLV game.)
    Reminds me of a comment I heard from someone once who said they were a BYU fan, but always thought that Utah and Utah State were one and the same. To me, not knowing your team's biggest rival speaks out loud and clear about what kind of fan you are. It says you're a wanna-be fan. The comment was made by an out of stater. He just didn't understand...

    I think the rivalry is fun, but sometimes the bickering does get out of control. It essentially comes down to "My daddy can beat up your daddy."

  10. #9
    Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    indoors wanting to be outdoors
    Posts
    3,216
    Quote Originally Posted by cilantro13
    As I remember it, Utah was undefeated last year. They were the only undefeated team. They played tough games and had good SOS.

    And you are happy that you got to play and beat Alabama? I don't get it. Utah got royally screwed by the BCS last year and should have been playing for the title. As the Alabama game proved, they were of the same caliber as any top flight program in the nation.
    First off your comment made it seem like Utah didn't get into the BCS.


    Taking the BCS's table scraps as Utah has done twice and BYU once (1996) is not my idea of "peeing on" or taking "a big dump on" BCS. It is getting pee'd on by the BCS.
    I wouldn't call Bama table scraps. They were one of the better BCS teams last year. Now that Pit game was table scraps; talk about a team that didn't belong. Utah was put up against Bama because it was thought they couldn't run with the big dawgs. It was to show that they didn't belong. They were right Utah didn't belong there for a completely different reason, their play showed they should be playing Flordia.

    I'm glad for Utah and cheered the entire game while they wiped Alabama from endzone to endzone. Alabama got scrubbed. And you know what, beating Alabama by more than Florida did... big wow. Florida won the national championship because they got to play in the title game and Utah got a nice pat on the head.
    That's why I brought up the Flordia comment. Stop calling it a national championship, it wasn't. Last year results (not just Utah but just about every BCS game was a wrong match up) were the biggest slap in the face that the BCS system doesn't work. Vast majority of fans claim it doens't work even BCS lovers now claim it failed last year.

    What I am saying is that the entire conference benefits when all the teams have tough SOS.
    Agree. MWC was greatly benifited by TCU SOS last year, more so than Utah's. You could even way TCU gave a bust of Utah over BSU.

  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner
    That's why I brought up the Flordia comment. Stop calling it a national championship, it wasn't. Last year results (not just Utah but just about every BCS game was a wrong match up) were the biggest slap in the face that the BCS system doesn't work. Vast majority of fans claim it doens't work even BCS lovers now claim it failed last year.
    You're right -- we (I) shouldn't be calling it a national championship game. But to give some perspective, here in PAC-10 country, people think the BCS system is just fine and think the Moutain West are just a bunch of big babies. (Of course they do, especially the USC fans.) I guess there is incentive for people to protect systems that are unfair in their favor (right, USC?).

Similar Threads

  1. College Football
    By DiscGo in forum The Sports Junkie
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 01-23-2020, 06:52 PM
  2. For College Football Fans
    By Iceaxe in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-20-2008, 12:44 PM
  3. College Football playoff
    By Iceaxe in forum The Sports Junkie
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-07-2007, 11:40 PM
  4. Fantasy College Football
    By DiscGo in forum The Sports Junkie
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-09-2007, 01:13 PM
  5. College Football Smack!!!
    By Iceaxe in forum The Sports Junkie
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-13-2005, 05:25 PM

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •