Thread: Perry Canyon Tonight (7/13)

Perry Canyon Tonight (7/13)

Sorry for the late notice, but a few of us from Logan and Ogden are getting together to ride Perry Canyon. The plan is to meet at the trailhead around 5:00 with wheels rolling at 5:15. Let me know if anybody is interested in joining. Ride details here:

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/tr...errycanyon.htm

.....bring your climbing legs from what I hear.......

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I'll see if I can get my rear tire situation sorted today and try to make it. I'll let you know this afternoon for sure.

Climbing legs are a good idea. it averages about 500 vertical per mile or so.

Excellent! It'd be good to have a tour guide. Do you by chance have a gps file that you could email to me? Preferably a Garmin .crs or a .gpx?? If not, no worries. Following the trail doesn't seem too complicated.

I don't have one here with me and won't have time to get it to you before 5:00. It's not hard though. Just ride up the trail by the bear and when you get to the road, don't go down across the river. Go across the road to follow the trail up the south side of the creek and continue uphill. At 1.3 miles, you will come to a fork in the trail. Going straight will take you up to the white rock. Left uphill is the continuation of the Grizzly Peak trail. From here, there really is only one trail and it's easy to follow. I will try my best to make it by the time you leave (if I'm allowed to go at all that is).

I have tcx or gpx for both White Rock and to the end of Grizzly Peak as of July 2008. I have posted the White Rock on the UMB site. I will go post the Grizzly peak there also. Let me know if you want me to zip em and email them to you?

Love this ride. It's tough.

I found a better tool for clearing brush. This thing can do some major damage real quick. It's super light weight and only cost $6. Fits in my shorts leg pocket. Something in the way. A quick stop and its gone.

I've spent the last couple weekends clearing the Grizzly trial. Should be mostly clear to about 4.5 miles.

Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Child
    I've spent the last couple weekends clearing the Grizzly trial. Should be mostly clear to about 4.5 miles.

Have fun.
    You're the man LC.

I will go post the Grizzly peak there also. Let me know if you want me to zip em and email them to you?
    That would be great. I actually already snagged the .gpx file from umb.com for the white rock ride, so the Grizzly Peak file would be good to have as well. Wanna join us this evening......?

Should be mostly clear to about 4.5 miles.
    Can we get up any higher than that?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by devo_stevo
    I will try my best to make it by the time you leave (if I'm allowed to go at all that is).
    It seems as though the group is leaving at 5:15 from the TH. There will be one guy that starts probably 20 minutes behind us, but is a much faster climber so he shouldn't have any trouble catching us and then subsequently blowing right past. I'm sure that you could probably catch us before we get to the top if you started late. Just look for my silver Ford Explorer in the parking lot. Maybe we'll see you.........

Quote Originally Posted by neilether
    Should be mostly clear to about 4.5 miles.
    Can we get up any higher than that?

Thanks!
    Yeah I'm sure you can make it to the end of the trail. The GPX file now on UMB shows over six miles and 3300 feet.

I'd like to make this ride tonight but weeknights are kind of tough for me.

Have fun. Enjoy all the Sego Lillies in bloom right now. Bunches. And watch out for rattlers. I ran into a very aggressive one a couple of weeks ago. He won't be bothering you though.

Alright. I'm in. I'll be getting off of work at 4:45 and I'll run home and change and grab a bite to eat. Should be close, but I'll be there. I have to be home by 7:00 so I may bail on you before the end of the ride.

As for getting up higher than 4.5 miles, you can get to where the trail ends right now. A couple of weeks ago, my neighbor rode to the end and he said there was one snow bank that they crossed. It's been warm since then, so it should be gone.

Looking forward to meeting you guys. Later.

Thanks for the ride last night Neil. It was a great time and great meeting you in person finally.

Did you make it to the top? It didn't kill you I hope.

Yeah, it was good to meet you as well. After I got over my near heat exhaustion at the bottom, life was much better. Right as you passed us I was actually feeling pretty good. We ended up turning around at the spring at mile 4.6. I almost overcooked some of those blind switchbacks on the downhill.

I think the key to that ride will be to start at 7:00 in the morning to beat the heat and then just survive the first 1.5 miles. After that it wasn't too bad. We're already planning another assault just to make sure we get all the way to the top.

Awesome. Early morning is definately the time to start that one. The other option is the ride to the top of Grizzly Peak from Mantua via the Willard Peak road and drop off the top until you hit the trail. It's fun and not too scary. Let me know if you want to hit it on a Saturday morning and make it to the top.