Thread: Teva Avator 2 or Sunkosi 2????

Teva Avator 2 or Sunkosi 2????

I'm about to buy the Sunkosi 2's for canyoneering but I just saw the Avators. Which would be better if I were doing canyons like Pine Creek and Mystery? Thanks!

Avator II: http://www.teva.com/ProductDetails.a...model=Avator+2

Sunkosi II: http://www.teva.com/ProductDetails.a...odel=Sunkosi+2

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

OK. I am a 5.10 Canyoneer fan so my opinion is tainted. If those were the only two choices I would choose the Avator because of the ankle cuff. That is one feature I have really appreciated in the 5.10's particularly when in the Narrows banging my ankle on underwater rocks. Pretty well any sturdy shoe can get you through Pine Creek or Mystery. Where you want the 5.10 sticky rubber is everywhere else.
    Life is Good

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Re: Teva Avator 2 or Sunkosi 2????

Quote Originally Posted by jekyllman
    I'm about to buy the Sunkosi 2's for canyoneering but I just saw the Avators. Which would be better if I were doing canyons like Pine Creek and Mystery? Thanks!

Why?

I suppose someone has to NOT buy the "Canyoneer" for canyoneering, but I'm not sure why. It works quite well. With the second edition, they hold up well. A bit pricey, but...

I've had a pair of Teva's somewhat similar to the Avator II (maybe the Avator I). They were pretty good shoes, but they were not even in the ballpark with the Canyoneer. Be sure to try them on with the thickest socks you expect to wear - my pair had strap lengths and foot volume appropriate for a sandal - ie, without socks, without THICK socks, ie, what you might expect from a sandal company.

Tom

I have really fat feet and so I'm tempted to go with the Teva Aviator 2's, but I know that there will be drawbacks. (I won't consider the Sunkosi, as they don't have the ankle cuff.) I do like the 5.10 when I've rented them-- they stick like crazy to rocks-- but they're just not made for fat feet like my Teva sandals seem to be.

I took my current Teva sandals (with what Teva calls Spider Rubber) down the Subway this week and I was unimpressed with the soles... they just didn't have the stick that I was hoping for. Teva says that the Aviators have S2 rubber... whatever that is. I doubt that it has the stick of 5.10's Stealth.

So, has anyone tried the S2 rubber. Is it better than Teva's Spider rubber, or is it the same thing? How will it compare to Stealth?

Does anyone carry Teva Aviator 2's for rent so I can try them before I buy?
    --
    Matthew

"If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously reexamine your life."

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    La Sportiva fan here. I've got very narrow feet and any 5.10 shoe has never fit me, even with thickest wool socks.

It's about fit, grip for steming/climbing and drainage in wet canyons.

I'm a La Sportiva fan as well (though I haven't tried the 5.10)

I picked my exum ridges up from here:

http://www.azshoe.com/La-Sportiva-N....B0001VQMHS.htm

If I did lots of canyons I would probably go with the 5.10. But if you are doing this as an "every once in a while hobby" and will only be doing canyons such as pine creek, the exum ridge is almost half the price and kicks butt. Its also a little more fashionable for an every day shoe.

My buddy took his Tevas on our canyon trip and by the end was wishing for something with a little more support
    better off outdoors

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    Why? I suppose someone has to NOT buy the "Canyoneer" for canyoneering, but I'm not sure why. It works quite well. With the second edition, they hold up well. A bit pricey, but...
    x2

I want the 5.10's but it's because I work at a running specialty store and so I get employee pricing (20% off wholesale) from Teva. Had to do it. Been going in running shoes since I started so it's still an upgrade I'd imagine.

P.S. I bought the Avators

I want the 5.10's but it's because I work at a running specialty store and so I get employee pricing (20% off wholesale) from Teva. Had to do it. Been going in running shoes since I started so it's still an upgrade I'd imagine.
    Jekyllman,
    After your first canyon in the new shoes let me know what you think about those Aviators; the thing I'm interested in is how the S2 Rubber sticks to canyon walls. The website says that it has rubber "akin to the rubber found on climbing shoes" but I'd like to know from a reliable 3rd party... assuming that you're a 3rd party even though you sell shoes.

Thanks,
    --
    Matthew

"If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously reexamine your life."

Plus... the Tevas have a subdued color scheme. I wish 5.10 would do that.
    --
    Matthew

Has anyone seen/used the 5.10 Savant? Since the LaSportiva Exum Rivers are no longer available from most places (pending an upgrade in 2010?) I'm looking at other shoes. I've really enjoyed my 5.10 Canyoneer II's, but they aren't very comfortable for long dry hikes. I'm looking for something with climbing rubber soles that are a little more like a trail running shoe.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mmac
    Has anyone seen/used the 5.10 Savant? Since the LaSportiva Exum Rivers are no longer available from most places (pending an upgrade in 2010?) I'm looking at other shoes. I've really enjoyed my 5.10 Canyoneer II's, but they aren't very comfortable for long dry hikes. I'm looking for something with climbing rubber soles that are a little more like a trail running shoe.
    We have the Savants at the Zion Adventure Company store (uh, pretty sure). They are a cross of the Canyoneer and a trail running shoe. The biggest concern is that they would get beat up pretty fast, but they do look good for stuff that is not too hard on the feet, and they sure do look comfortable.

You can also add a supportive footbed to the Canyoneer, which also helps make them less boaty. I had a Spenco green 20$ footbed in there that lasted 2 or 3 years and helped quite a bit. I really should get a set again...

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by mtthwlw
    Jekyllman,
    After your first canyon in the new shoes let me know what you think about those Aviators; the thing I'm interested in is how the S2 Rubber sticks to canyon walls. The website says that it has rubber "akin to the rubber found on climbing shoes" but I'd like to know from a reliable 3rd party... assuming that you're a 3rd party even though you sell shoes.

Thanks,
    Yeah, I'll let you know how they are. Even though I do sell Tevas, we do running shoes so I hold no bias when it comes to canyoneering shoes.

Hey, How did those shoes work out for ya??

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ndonaldj View Post
    Hey, How did those shoes work out for ya??
    I remember friends that have used this shoe telling me it started out great but didn't hold up to well even for Zion type canyons. Shoe eventually got shredded.

I think @bretoyce used these at one time. He now used the 5.10 canyoneer. maybe he can give you feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by mmac View Post
    Love my Savants. I wear them a size up for a 2.5 mm neo sock and a wool liner sock. For cold water, I take out the foot bed and wear a 3mm neo sock. I never liked the butt ugly buckles on the canyoneers. However, I will tell you that the canyoneers have sturdier uppers than the Savant which are made from synthetic leather and nylon mesh. One other advantage of the Savants is that if you are patient, you will occasionally find them on sale. I bought both of my pairs for around $75 per.