Thread: Shotgun shooting

Shotgun shooting

So I and fourtycal went over to the Great Salt Lake Gun Club last evening to shoot some trap. I had just recently purchased a shotgun and this was my first time shooting it. Embarrassingly I didn't know too much about my shotgun. I had read the manual about a month ago and had it all figured out but since I had never put any of my reading into practice it was gone.

Long story short, I suck! First round 10/25 second round 12/25.

Anyone have any tips on how to improve the crude art that is spraying clay all over the ground? Is this just one of those things were if you practice a bunch you eventually suck less?
    So, Kid, you think you got what it takes to be a Punch King?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Follow through, don't stop swinging the barrel once the trigger is pulled.

Always have a lead on the target. Try to shoot before the target starts to fall back down, or you have to aim way below it, like 3 FT

Everybody develops their own technique, but Sombeech is right about the follow through. Some folks like to swing as fast as the clay is moving so the bead is always on, or in front, of it. Others, myself included, prefer to swing up on it and squeeze the trigger when the bead hits the clay. Any way you prefer, just practice and you'll see your score improve.

practice a bunch and you will suck less.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Your score was already pretty average for casual shooters. For a beginner, I would say that you were above average. Shot guns are one of the most customized guns. One can pay close to $200,000.00 for a custom fitted shotgun. They look simple but a fitted gun will allow you to shoot better. Such things as drop in the comb and heel, barrel length, and choke sizing make a difference.

Great Salt Lake Gun Club is now open Wednesday through Sunday. I don't know the exact hours but they are the same as the Lee Kay Shooting range next door, at least 11 - 5 except Monday and Tuesday.
    So, Kid, you think you got what it takes to be a Punch King?