Thread: TR: Anaconda-Pintler Wilderness - Montana

TR: Anaconda-Pintler Wilderness - Montana

Went up to Montana for the July 4th weekend. Drove up to Phillipsburg, MT on Friday. Stopped in Pocatello for a few errands and hit up Butter Burrs for breakfast. This place has to be legend in the area. We made it to our destination in the afternoon and camped above the town. Just did a small hike in the hills that night. The next day, we went down to the Pintler Mountains to do a Carpp Lake - Warren Pass - Maloney Basin hike. This was about 5 hours and 10 miles, although we took our time. You drive about 14 miles in dirt roads and across a dam to get to the trailhead. You reach lower Carpp Lake in about 1.5 hours, Upper Carpp Lake in another 1 hour, Warren Pass in another 20 minutes and down through Maloney basin to complete the loop. We sat through two decent hail storms at the Upper Lake. Mt. Warren is pretty impressive. Great hike, great area and a definite recommend. The thing I noticed about that area is that all of the peeps are from Montana, not too many out-of-state tourists.

We drove out past Georgetown Lake (which is where most of the people hang out) on the way back and drove for an hour on old mining roads for a long way back to Phillipsburg. We hit up a local pub for a burger and beer and called it a night. There are a ton of mining ruins, ghost towns and mining roads for miles within the mountains there but we didn't check too much of that out. I had to pick up some gear in Hall, MT which is north of Phillipsburg 20 miles the next day and then we headed home. It was our first time in Montana but not our last. Maybe Glacier or the Bob Marshall Wilderness next.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: TR: Anaconda-Pintler Wilderness - Montana

Quote Originally Posted by tmartenst
    Mt. Warren is pretty impressive. Great hike, great area and a definite recommend. The thing I noticed about that area is that all of the peeps are from Montana, not too many out-of-state tourists.
    Ahhhhhhh...great shots!

Climbed that snow coulior on Warren Peak a few years ago. Super fun and a great area. Yeah, not too many non-locals. Only guys I ran into I knew (too funny for a route that is kind of a Montana classic but still not done that often). Owner of Pipestone (now Msla, used to be in Butte).

Being a native Montanan (Missoula) I guess I could still pass for a local, but there's the problem of those darn Utah plates on the car!

Pintlers are great. Spent some time there in the mid 70's...

Bighole Battlefield is a good detour too. Still can see the hastily dug rifle pits and bullet holes in the trees. Wild stuff. Drive from there up to Lost Trail is neat. And on and on...

Fun stuff, thanks!

-Brian in SLC
    (yeah, the Bob is great, ditto the Bitterroots, Spanish Peaks, Crazies, Beartooth, Missions...etc etc etc...)

Awesome shots! I used to live near that area in Butte. I'm glad you enjoyed your trip, Montana is a special place. Like Brian mentioned, there is plenty to see.

Right before we got there, a few guys were skiing a chute and down to the lake. I've skied some bare patches of snow (Little Chute at Alta, Comma Chute at Snowbird, Pfiefferhorn; all in June) but the patches of snow on Mt. Warren were really small and I am not sure they would be worth the hike! To each their own, better than sitting on the couch I guess!

Thanks for sharing

Great shots. Gotta love Montana. Makes me remember our trip to Glacier & Watterton a few years ago.