Thread: Utah backpacking, end of July, tell me what I need to know

Utah backpacking, end of July, tell me what I need to know

I will be at Snowbird for a conference at the end of July and want to take advantage of the trip and do some packing. I have packed all over the central/southern Sierras but no where else. I've basically got 3 or 4 days.

I know nothing about the area except what I am learning online. I am thinking of Big or Little Cottonwood Canyons, Granddaddy Canyon, or the general vicinity of Duck Lake. I am looking for a fairly short but non-brutal hike, fishing, filterable water, plenty of shade & responsible campfires allowed. No long drive.

What do I need to know about:

• trailhead permits
      fishing license
      campfire policies
      weather expectations
      food storage requirements
      anything else I might not know

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

If you have 3-4 Days I would fully suggest the 1.5 hour drive from snowbird and hit the Uintas - More fishing opportunities (hundreds of lakes), Wonderful weather (75 Day 40s at night but expect a thunderstorm any afternoon), Can have a fire if you really want it, No permits other than your fishing license, Shade in abundance :) lots of filterable water, I always just hang my food and cooking gear in a dry bag up a tree and have never had any issues (YMMV).

Otherwise I would suggest big or little cottonwood canyon. Not as many places to fish by a lot, No permits needed that I am aware of, Hotter weather I would expect 80s + during the day and 50's at night with less chance of thunderstorms than the Uintas. Plenty of shade almost anywhere you go as well as water.

Now as people see fairly short as something different what kind of millage is short for you (15 miles a Day, 25 miles a Day, 6 miles a day)? what is the duration you want to stay in the back country 3-4 days
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Thanks for the info.

I will be done with my conference on Thursday the 30th by mid-morning, possibly earlier. My packing partner will need to be at SLC ready to fly out by mid afternoon, Sunday the 2nd. So really 2 full days and 2 partials.

I consider a short hike in the 6 mile range. Pretty close, but far enough to ditch most of the day hikers.

Normally I would choose the Uintas hands down. But the convenience of Little Cottonwood (to Snowbird) is compelling. Looking at Red/White Pine Lake and leaving by 10am, we could be at a campsite by 3pm. Any opinions on these?

Red Pine and White pine lakes receive tons of day hikers. The fishing can be good at times at upper red pine lake, but you will have to work to get up there and there isn't anyplace to really pitch a tent as it is above the trees. The lower lake has very limited camp sites. I personally don't ever backpack into the Wasatch as they are overrun with people and one can usually day hike anywhere they want in a couple of hours. The terrain is extremely rough and makes for only a few camp sites in each area as well.
    Biking, Hiking, and Fishing are life. Everything else is just fluff.

Quote Originally Posted by TooeleCherokee
    If you have 3-4 Days I would fully suggest the 1.5 hour drive from snowbird and hit the Uintas

Can have a fire if you really want it,

No permits other than your fishing license,
    Just two corrections... the Uinta's do require a parking permit if your going to stop your vehicle and park. So a backpacking trip would require one (I think it's about $10 for 3 days).

Also, there are some places in the Unita's that don't allow fires around certain lakes. To my knowledge these are lakes in the Grandaddy Basin.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/ashley/recre...rictions.shtml

http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/ashley/recre...strictions.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by tcope
    Quote Originally Posted by TooeleCherokee
    If you have 3-4 Days I would fully suggest the 1.5 hour drive from snowbird and hit the Uintas

Can have a fire if you really want it,

No permits other than your fishing license,
    Just two corrections... the Uinta's do require a parking permit if your going to stop your vehicle and park. So a backpacking trip would require one (I think it's about $10 for 3 days).

Also, there are some places in the Unita's that don't allow fires around certain lakes. To my knowledge these are lakes in the Grandaddy Basin.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/ashley/recre...rictions.shtml

http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/ashley/recre...strictions.pdf
    The permit for stopping on the side of 150 is correct but there are other areas you don't need it I wasn't even thinking about the parking permit I was thinking more back country permit :)

you can still have fires there just not within 1/4 mile of the specified lakes themselves :).. I don't camp that close to the lakes up there anyhow as I like to leave some of the Skeeters behind :)
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"