Thread: Where to stay in SLC

Where to stay in SLC

We're going to be in Salt Lake for a few days later this month, and we're on a tight budget. We don't know the city very well.

We've been reading some great posts about cheap eats on this site and we've already written-down some great restaurant suggestions...

We have a car but we'd like to spend our time there on foot... or take public transprotation around. Does anyone have suggestions for less-expensive hotels that aren't in scary neighborhoods and with Trax access?

Thanks!
    --
    Matthew

"If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously reexamine your life."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Are you looking at weekday or weekend?

Have you tried Hotwire.com? Basically, they are a clearing house for unbooked rooms for hotels and they offer great rates.

The downside is that you don't get to choose the specific hotel. You do choose the hotel rating level you want, and also approximate location. They also immediately bill your credit card for the room. They do however offer good deals if you go 3 stars or better.

What I'm saying is that you can probably book a nice room downtown with Trax and bus access for the same price you might book a mediocre room at a specific location with a normal booking system. For instance, I quickly found specific weekend rates for a 4 star hotel in Salt Lake for $69.

Another option is the hotels in the International Center out by the airport usually have greatly reduced weekend rates. And that is only a 5 minute drive to downtown.

Good luck whatever you decide to do!

If you want to go real cheap you could stay at the downtown KOA. They have small cabins too.

http://koa.com/where/ut/44143/

Quote Originally Posted by UTJetdog
    Are you looking at weekday or weekend?

Have you tried Hotwire.com? ...
    Good luck whatever you decide to do!
    We're going to be there during the week.

Thanks for the information. I've never tried Hotwire.com, but I'll give it a try. Also, I didn't know that the airport was that close to downtown via the trax system.

Thanks.
    --
    Matthew

"If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously reexamine your life."

Have you tried Hotwire.com? Basically, they are a clearing house for unbooked rooms for hotels and they offer great rates.
    kayak.com usually has cheaper rates than Hotwire.... and you get to pick the hotel.... and kayak also checks Hotwire, Hotels.com, Priceline, Expedia and Travelocity for you if you ask it.....

Kayak.com
    http://www.kayak.com/hotels

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    kayak.com usually has cheaper rates than Hotwire.... and you get to pick the hotel.... and kayak also checks Hotwire, Hotels.com, Priceline, Expedia and Travelocity for you if you ask it.....

Kayak.com
    http://www.kayak.com/hotels

I'm going to find the hotel now. I appreciate the help!
    Not only can I go to Bogley to find the correct time of day to hike Pine Creek without waiting in line... but I can find out how to enjoy Salt Lake City as well.

Thanks all.

Bogley rocks!
    --
    Matthew

Another idea is couchsurfing.org. Basically, you have a website that has people worldwide just waiting for you to come and stay with them while you're on vacation. And it's free!

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    If you want to go real cheap you could stay at the downtown KOA.
    I never imagined there would be a KOA in the middle of SLC. It's good to know but at $28/night for a tent site, it's almost worth getting a room. I'm sure I'd appreciate the shower after finishing the Salt Lake Century though.
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...