Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Question About SUVs and Off-Road

Okay, another piece of the puzzle: at the Ardmore Toyota place today, they not only didn't have an FJ for us to drive, they told us there were about five in the four-state region, and, much to our disbelief, it's been discontinued. No more FJ Cruisers? That doesn't even make sense.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barron
    Okay, another piece of the puzzle: at the Ardmore Toyota place today, they not only didn't have an FJ for us to drive, they told us there were about five in the four-state region, and, much to our disbelief, it's been discontinued. No more FJ Cruisers? That doesn't even make sense.
    I think that rumor is BS. Been floating around a while and Toyota denies it so where it came from I can't figure.
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

In my original post I asked about The Maze. Is the stock FJ enough to get me to the Doll House? That seems like an archetypal destination, and one thing I know I'd like to be able to do.

-Richard
    Hi Richard,

you can do that quite easy! We did it years ago with an old Ford Explorer http://hatchcanyon.eu/Inhalt/Utah/Do...dollhouse.html

Rolf

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchcanyon
    In my original post I asked about The Maze. Is the stock FJ enough to get me to the Doll House? That seems like an archetypal destination, and one thing I know I'd like to be able to do.

-Richard
    Hi Richard,

you can do that quite easy! We did it years ago with an old Ford Explorer http://hatchcanyon.eu/Inhalt/Utah/Do...dollhouse.html

Rolf
    I agree the FJ will make it easily. As to the Ford Explorer, Rolf you are a fine driver to tackle that trail in that vehicle

When I was recently at the Dollhouse there were a couple guys in a FJ in the other campsite. I drove a rental stock 4-door Rubicon.

I am considering these same vehicles sometime in the near future. My only knock on the FJ is the rear seat and rear seat window. I'm hoping my son still wants to do trips with us right through his teen years which means I've got 5-6 years of usually having someone in the back seat. The FJ has a small door and small non-opening window for the back seating. But if you are almost always just 2 people that may not be a concern.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

I have owned both the FJ and the Xterra - still have the Xterra. I did not like the FJ - it looks better, but that is about it. The X is just as capable. All the hard core 4 wheel drive magazines agree that the only difference is looks. I found that the X is cheaper to insure, takes the cheaper gas - not the premium that the FJ recommends. The FJ back doesn't go perfectly flat - Xterra does.
    Biking, Hiking, and Fishing are life. Everything else is just fluff.

I'm with Win on the Rubicon Off the showroom floor you're not gonna find a more capable trail rig. With some mods, it will be set a world apart.

Quote Originally Posted by JP
    I'm with Win on the Rubicon Off the showroom floor you're not gonna find a more capable trail rig. With some mods, it will be set a world apart.
    X2 Four Door Rubicons with a 33" tire are impressive in Southern Utah terrain

I just bought a brand new 08 fj love it. Looked at the jeep no cargo inside with seats up. The yota has plenty of room pulls 5000 lbs and digs like a gopher. I have already added an arb air locker 9000 lb warn winch warn bumpers front and rear with rock slides Lift and level kit.. Will have to post pics. Its already been to city of rocks and all over the South Slope of the Uintas next week I leave for a week at Camp Steiner hope to wheel while I'm there. Sure I can't go topless but the air blows cold. As to the b pillars threw onsome convex bug spotters problem solved. With the seats folded down I don't even need the rack when its just me and the misses.
    God put water on Earth for fools to walk by and wise men to ponder.

I go to Moab regularly with friends with Jeeps, FJs, Land Rovers and a number of other rigs. The FJ is a fine trail ride. With a small lift and 33" tires they can do most of the trails in Moab with no problems. The only problem people have with the FJ is visibility.

The new 4 door rubicons are very trail capable and a nice ride. The toyota will be better built. But the rubicons are worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Salmoholic
    I just bought a brand new 08 fj love it. Looked at the jeep no cargo inside with seats up. The yota has plenty of room pulls 5000 lbs and digs like a gopher. I have already added an arb air locker 9000 lb warn winch warn bumpers front and rear with rock slides Lift and level kit.. Will have to post pics. Its already been to city of rocks and all over the South Slope of the Uintas next week I leave for a week at Camp Steiner hope to wheel while I'm there. Sure I can't go topless but the air blows cold. As to the b pillars threw onsome convex bug spotters problem solved. With the seats folded down I don't even need the rack when its just me and the misses.
    Please post pictures.

Compromise

Okay, after looking at many factors, not the least of which is fuel economy, I am mentally striking a compromise. I think we all agree that the price of fuel is likely to go WAY up in the next five years, and I don't just drive to Utah in my vehicles, I also work in them for my newspaper every day. So I'd like something that's got a little 4x4 push to it, but still gets better fuel mileage. On Monday I drove the Jeep Compass and the Jeep Patriot, and hated them both. I drove the Hyundai Santa Fe and the Subaru Forester, and was MUCH more impressed with the Forester. Nissan had nothing I even wanted to drive, and apparently won't be getting any Xterras in anytime soon. The Toyota RAV4 had the crappiest seats ever, so I eliminated it immediately, and the Toyota 4Runner was much too large for my purposes. I did find one FJ Cruiser, a used one with 24k miles on it in great shape, but everything the critics said about the visibility problem was true; it's terrible. Then Wednesday I sat in a 4wd Ford Escape, and liked it, but they didn't have one to drive. They make a hybrid 4x4 version of the escape which gets excellent fuel economy ratings.

Ideas, notions, concepts, suggestions? Should I just get a scooter and forget the whole thing?

Thanks in advance again. -Richard

Hers a few pics
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    God put water on Earth for fools to walk by and wise men to ponder.

If you're not planning to really get into it with the Ford, go for it. It's independent front and rear suspension which leaves that setup very vulnerable to damage. Getting into back road conditions, that vehicle would probably do you just fine. You can still pack your camera gear and camping equipment in it, hop in and take off for the weekend.

What about a four door Tacoma? This is my next 4x4 of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    What about a four door Tacoma? This is my next 4x4 of choice.
    I can appreciate pickup fans among us, but I have to have a place to put photo gear that is out of the weather and still be able to seat four people, so it's an SUV or a car with a trunk in that respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Salmoholic
    Hers a few pics
    Got any pics of that thing getting 28mpg?

i doubt that you are going to find a vehicle capable of getting into the maze that gets 28 mpg. certainly never in 4wd.

we have a forester as a second vehicle and i find it difficult to get in and out of. the steering wheel doesnt tilt. i don't think i'd give it a chance of getting around teapot on the way to the dolls house.

going to have to make some compromises. do you want mileage, or do you want to get into the real out of the way places? can't have cake and eat it too.

and, there's no way to look cool on a scooter.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Got any pics of that thing getting 28mpg?

Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide
    i doubt that you are going to find a vehicle capable of getting into the maze that gets 28 mpg. certainly never in 4wd.

we have a forester as a second vehicle and i find it difficult to get in and out of. the steering wheel doesnt tilt. i don't think i'd give it a chance of getting around teapot on the way to the dolls house.

going to have to make some compromises. do you want mileage, or do you want to get into the real out of the way places? can't have cake and eat it too.

Yes, compromise. Believe me, I WANT an FJ like I want a Cirrus SR22, but I am saddened to accept that it might not be a realistic choice for me. To go to the Maze, I may end up being a lowly Jeep renter. In the mean time, I still need a new vehicle, since my Grand Am is getting long in the tooth, and I still need ideas about what my next vehicle might be.

Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide

Yes, compromise. Believe me, I WANT an FJ like I want a Cirrus SR22, but I am saddened to accept that it might not be a realistic choice for me. To go to the Maze, I may end up being a lowly Jeep renter. In the mean time, I still need a new vehicle, since my Grand Am is getting long in the tooth, and I still need ideas about what my next vehicle might be.
    i have about 18 hours in a sr-22. talk about a fast plane. glass panel, flying with a joystick, xm radio and bose headsets. what a hoot.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.