Thread: Great backpacking for a flatlander over the 24th weekend?

Great backpacking for a flatlander over the 24th weekend?

I have my favorite flatlander coming into town at the end of the month. I'm looking for ideas of where to take her that will not overwelm her with altitude. It'd be for an overnighter the weekend before the 24th and possbily a 2.5 days or another overnighter on the weekend of the 24th (Friday afternoon through Sunday).

Ideally I would like something unique to Utah as she has never been backpacking out here, but me thinks the canyons would be way too hot. My initial thought was the Uintas but I think that may be too high for her to enjoy. Great Basin NP is another potential idea but again it's high. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The Narrows in Zion is a great overnight trip and it is all elevation loss with lots of water play.
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

I'd suggest waiting a day and then heading up to the Uintas. While the trail heads are going to be around 9,000 feet, you should be able to find some trails that only gain 500 feet or so (not many, but some). You may also want to look at some of the mountains in Southern Idaho as they are not as tall.

I still recommend the Uintas as the weather just cannot be beat. Sunny but cool during the day with unbeatable views and also nice and cool in the evenings. There are some mosquitos out right now but in a few weeks they should not be too bad (100% Deet can be a good thing).

I went out to Island Lake this past weekend and even though it sprinkled a little, it was still a great trip. Still some very small spots of snow around which is interesting. They can be used as refrigerator.