Thread: Good but inexpensive restaurants in Salt Lake

Good but inexpensive restaurants in Salt Lake

I'm looking for some new eating establishments to try. The only restriction is $25.00 or less for two people.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Just a place to get a bite to eat?

Italian Village is a favorite.... Memories of my youth.....

I hit these for lunch regularly......sure dinner would be under $25ish....assuming you are drinking water and most likely before gratuity?

KoKo Kitchen.....

Charlie Chow.....

Cannella's.....

Anyway.....maybe that is a start.....

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce
    Just a place to get a bite to eat?

I hit these for lunch regularly......sure dinner would be under $25ish....assuming you are drinking water and most likely before gratuity?

KoKo Kitchen.....

Charlie Chow.....

Cannella's.....

Anyway.....maybe that is a start.....
    Yeah, just water to drink. And before gratuities.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    One of my favs is just a whole in the wall on 3300 S. Navajo taco joint. Yummy food. I don't know exactly where on 3300 so just start at state drive up 3300 watch for it on your left.

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes
    One of my favs is just a whole in the wall on 3300 S. Navajo taco joint. Yummy food. I don't know exactly where on 3300 so just start at state drive up 3300 watch for it on your left.

One of my favorite restaurants in SLC is just across the street from your Navajo taco joint ---- Cafe Med. They serve excellent mediterranean food.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

For really good italian for a decent price, try Biaggi's in the Gateway at the south end. You could easily come in under the $25 mark. :thumbs:

$12.50 per plate doesn't seem to go as far as it once did. This probably has less to do with the menu at restaurants and more with my tighter budget. Still, here are a few places I haven't been to as often as I would like in the new economy:

Cafe Molise (barely over your price)
    http://www.caffemolise.com/

Mazza
    http://www.mazzacafe.com/

Trio
    http://www.triodining.com/index.php

Blue Plate Diner
    http://utah.citysearch.com/profile/1...te_diner.html#

Red Iguana
    http://www.rediguana.com/home.html

The Park Cafe
    http://utah.citysearch.com/profile/1...park_cafe.html

Litza's Pizza
    http://www.litzaspizza.com/

Mochasala
    http://utah.citysearch.com/profile/1...ican_food.html

Good luck. Let me know what you think of them if you go.

Thanks for all of the good suggestions, all of you. This is actually for my b-day dinner next week, and I feel guilty about how much I spent last year on it and want to go cheap this year--especially since I'm feeling a bit poorer after buying my new rig.

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes
    Yeah, I've seen that, but never stopped there. Hmmm, I'll have to try it sometime soon.

Joe Morley's in Midvale.

Sawadee on South Temple and 7th East is really good. It's thai food and about $10 a plate. A plate is big enough to serve two, so when we go we usually split one and still have leftovers to bring home.

Here's some of my fav's in that price range...

Red Butte. Two of us split the 3 enchaladas plate the other night. 9.50 or so. Tasty and plenty of food for two.

Fiddlers Elbow (no private clubs anymore!) and SLP&P.

Citris Grill. Half portions are sweet, especially if you want to mix and match a few appy's, salads and entrees.

Chanon Thai Cafe. Careful on the heat here. Not open on Saturdays.

Sugarhouse BBQ. The quarter bird plus two sides can't be beat for price.

Pawit's Royal Thai Cusine. Great food. No booze.

Bohemian. German.

Sampan. Chinese.

Come on, folks, toss out a few more options. I'm in a food rut...!

Cheers,

-Brian in SLC

Of course there is always Brewvies - 200 west between 600 and 700 south - pizza and nachos are the best, great beer selection, great prices and you can eat and drink in the theater.
    Don't believe everything you think.

-Borrowed from a bumper sticker I believe

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce

Ah yes. The wife and I started dating at Italian Village (23 years ago), and now take the kids there.

Standard meal for us: Large Salad, Garlic Bread and for the main course, the meat-pizza bender and 2x MGD's.

Edited to add: Ocean City (Chinese food) has always been great, but they're under new ownership. They had a secret soup (Hot & Spicey dumpling) that we used to always get.

Additionally, LaLuna (Jordan Landing) has great Mexican (smothered burritos w/rice).
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC

Come on, folks, toss out a few more options. I'm in a food rut...!

I started the thread, but turn about is fair play. My wife and I often go to Morelia's at 6100 S. State. They say the chili verde there is good, but I don't like it personally. However, they have Laura's Special Fajitas that are fantastic. Their chimichangas are also really good as are the chili rellenos.

Another place I really like is The Philadelphian on 7th east in Sandy. I forget what south it is, something like 108th. You will want to close your eyes when going in--it's messy, the decor is horrible--if you've been there, you know what I mean. But the Philly steak sandwiches there are the best I've had and they are stacked full of meat. My review and others of this place is found on the Yahoo Local board. Here's the link-I'm ShaneR: http://local.yahoo.com/info-19891684...eviews#reviews

Wasatch Pizza in Taylorsville is another one of my favorites, though it's not quite as good as the one on 33rd South was years ago when they were new. The T-ville one though is still really good.

We also go to The Chinese Gourmet, aka "Chuck E. Chinese" because it used to be Chuck E. Cheese. It's standard buffet fare, but if you get your own bowl of stir fry and have the chefs cook it up for you, it's really good.

Okay, I like some mom and pop hamburger joints too, like Millies in Sugarhouse, and The Grub Box in Magna. If you can't stand the chain burger joints like Mac's and Wendy's, these are the kinds of places to go.

Oh and lest I forget, Ruth's Diner up Emigration Canyon has some great breakfast foods. I haven't yet tried them for lunch. And there's a place off of 35th South by the E-center, in that little strip mall where the Greek Souvlaki is, that has great South American food. I can't remember the name of the place though, but the Lomo Saltado which is a Peruvian dish, is very good, and you get enough to feed two. Don't expect fast service though![url]

Quote Originally Posted by ilanimaka
    For really good italian for a decent price, try Biaggi's in the Gateway at the south end. You could easily come in under the $25 mark. :thumbs:
    I would second Biaggi's. Good and very reasonable. My neighbor is the head chef.

Also, in Sandy try Joy Luck (Chinese) at 107th South and State. Very good food, diverse menu, good service, its clean, and cheap. Easily do a good dinner for two for $25. I go there often for lunch.

breakfast or dinner?
    either way I love Virg's.
    There is one in Tooele (Erda) and one in Salt Lake.
    Erdas is at:
    4025 Highway 36
    Tooele, UT 84074-9426
    (435) 833-9988

Salt Lakes is at:
    5770 S Redwood Rd
    Salt Lake City, UT 84123-5395
    (801) 968-7180

They used to be on state street around 3300 south but since moved.
    I have not eaten at the new location in SLC.
    an outlaw breakfast is fantastic, or a breakfast burrito smothered in sauce, that burrito is big enough to make two meals.
    The fish is wonderful.
    Ate there just last weekend, and do it about once a month.
    The burrito or the outlaw is about 6 bucks each, dinner is not much more price wise.

I assume that the menu is the same at either location, but noly have teh Tooele one.

http://www.boorah.com/restaurants/mp...us/37187/Virgs

You can keep it pretty cheap, and as a bonus, they take call ahead orders for take out. Thats the option I normally go with.
    Ever eaten at Ogies on redwood and 3300 south?
    similar place, but better food.

We ended up at the Blue Plate Diner. I liked what I had a lot. I had the bacon, cheese, mushroom, onion quesadillas. There was also guacamole and sour cream, so you add bacon, cheese, guacamole and sour cream to any meal and you've got something tasty. Thanks for the recommendations!