Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Moab Bogley Fest - Nov 6-8, 2009

That's phenomenal!!!! Wow, I'm stoked.... definitely count me in. Thanks guys! I'm looking forward to it

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by alliej
    That's phenomenal!!!! Wow, I'm stoked.... definitely count me in. Thanks guys! I'm looking forward to it
    I added you to the list. See you in November.

Mark

I mentioned in another thread that I was thinking of suffering the 11-hour flight to see Utah again, and this thread prompted me to book the flights today

So if I may, and if you'll have me, I'd like to join you guys for a few days in a slot or two in Moab. I'm a reasonably experienced hiker in slots but a total newbie when it comes to the technical stuff, so I'll get some abseiling lessons before I come out. Comments about kit are noted too.

I'd certainly like to do Onion Creek, but apart from that I'm open to suggestions, hopefully without too much deep water due to not wishing to bulk out my flight bags with wetsuits. I like short trips at this time of year, I think.

I fly into Vegas on the 1st > drive to southern Utah, so I'll be around the Kanab area for the first few days, with possibly a stop at HITR or Canyonlands (depending on which road I take) on the drive to Moab.

For background, I'm reasonably fit, 46, like real ale, and this'll be my 31st trip to the States.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob L
    I mentioned in another thread that I was thinking of suffering the 11-hour flight to see Utah again, and this thread prompted me to book the flights today

So if I may, and if you'll have me, I'd like to join you guys for a few days in a slot or two in Moab. I'm a reasonably experienced hiker in slots but a total newbie when it comes to the technical stuff, so I'll get some abseiling lessons before I come out. Comments about kit are noted too.

I'd certainly like to do Onion Creek, but apart from that I'm open to suggestions, hopefully without too much deep water due to not wishing to bulk out my flight bags with wetsuits. I like short trips at this time of year, I think.

I fly into Vegas on the 1st > drive to southern Utah, so I'll be around the Kanab area for the first few days, with possibly a stop at HITR or Canyonlands (depending on which road I take) on the drive to Moab.

For background, I'm reasonably fit, 46, like real ale, and this'll be my 31st trip to the States.

Rob
    See you in November.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Rob L
    I'm thinking of suffering the 11-hour flight to see Utah again, and this thread prompted me to book the flights today

WOW! That's quite a commute! See you then!
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

By the way, I was poking my nose around the Behind-the-Rocks area on the south end of town and stumbled into a really tight slot - like Shenanigans tight. The entrance required exhaling while shuffling sideways with head turned to the side. After about 20 feet of that, there was a drop that required either rappelling or off the deck stemming for a ways. I'd like to check it out more but would prefer some assistance from a few folks that are skinny and experienced.

Who's down?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Looks like I can sneak away for this trip. Yay!

I'll be flying in/out of SLC. I'd be interested in sharing a ride with someone if that can work out. (Deeps - do you still have room?)

Are we planning 3 days of trips or just Sat/Sun? I'd like to take only one day off work but I could possibly fly out late Wed or early Thr and do my day's work in SLC.

As to trips I would love to join the folks doing Elephant Butte.

I've done Lomatium and Granary and so I'd prefer to try some new things. Though not technical Onion Creek looks fun and it would be good to know so I could lead my family in it some time later. I could also do Dragonfly or Entrajo as long as I have company with the no-wetsuit-get-in-and-out-quick technique.

But really anything is good, even redoing Lomatium as it was several years ago. Heck just hiking around Fisher Towers would be fun too.

BTW, It would help if we started putting days to the trips so we're not booking folks on two trips on the same day.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Quote Originally Posted by ststephen
    I'll be flying in/out of SLC. I'd be interested in sharing a ride with someone if that can work out. (Deeps - do you still have room?)

Are we planning 3 days of trips or just Sat/Sun? I'd like to take only one day off work but I could possibly fly out late Wed or early Thr and do my day's work in SLC.
    I'm still good for that. Are you coming solo or bringing the family? I'd like to head down Thursday at some point, and come back late Sunday or first thing Monday depending on how the schedule shakes out. so that should work fine.

If you need a place to crash and work I can set you up with that as well.

I've invited a couple of friends to come in from out of state - still waiting to hear back from them. But I'll save a spot for you, no problem.

Thanks for the offer! I'll pm and we can work out the details.

This trip will be just me. Robin is going to do an extended weekend away with a girlfriend running the Las Vegas marathon and then showing her friend Zion, Bryce, GC.

Aaron, unfortunately can't come because he can't afford the time off of school. Don't feel too bad for him - he just had a great trip to the Big Island and added lots of cool adventures to his list.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

I guess I could swing by and do Dragonfly on one of those days and maybe something else on the other.

Ain't skinny, but am a caver; so I can squeeze; and I've got a few canyons under my belt. I'd help take a peek...

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    By the way, I was poking my nose around the Behind-the-Rocks area on the south end of town and stumbled into a really tight slot - like Shenanigans tight. The entrance required exhaling while shuffling sideways with head turned to the side. After about 20 feet of that, there was a drop that required either rappelling or off the deck stemming for a ways. I'd like to check it out more but would prefer some assistance from a few folks that are skinny and experienced.

Who's down?

Suck. I'm out. I have drill that weekend. Army stuff is annoying sometimes. Pays the bills, but annoying. I guess someone else will have to ride through camp naked...

November is getting close so I thought we should start putting together a schedule. Looks like we have a pretty good sized group that plans on attending. First I need to see who is willing to volunteer to lead a route that they have previously done. I also need to know what you feel your experience level is. Expert-Intermediate-Novice-Total Noob.
    So if you could each post if you can lead a route and your talent level I will start to match up experience with noobs etc.

By volunteering to lead a route just means you have been there and know the way. You are not volunteering to guide the route. I copied this from the first post to give everyone a reminder of the basics.

We are just a bunch of friends meeting to do canyons together, this is not a class or a guided trip! If you lack rappelling skills find someone to take you out to practice before the Bogleyfest. In the slot is not the time to learn to rappel. This means you know how to clip in and rappel without help, you do not 'freak-out' on long or awkward rappels, you can at least dog paddle if your route contains water. If you feel you need help in the canyons let someone know.... but ultimately.... YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY!

If you are planning to do Lomatium or Krill there is a $5 charge to get into the fiery furnace. You also have to watch a 10 minute film and pass a test.

If you know where you are planning to stay list that also. I think we should have a pot luck but due to the time of the year it may be brisk at night for a barbeque. We could hit one of the resturants instead. Several resturants have some large sitting areas. Might be a better idea?

Mark

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    I have not done any Moab routes, but can find my way with good directions map & compas (gps if needed) and willing to lead, co-lead, help if needed.

I consider myself more advanced Intermediate near Expert.

If you know where you are planning to stay list that also.
    I will be staying in the Inca Inn since it's only $45 and is quite nice.

I guess I could help lead Dragonfly if needed, but if people fairly new to canyoneering were planning on going in my opinion for safety reasons two leaders should be present. I am willing to be one of them.

Unfortunately I am going to have to bail. My Sister-in-law has decided that's the week that her twins will arrive (via C-section obviously). Booo. I'll have to catch up on the next one.

Jen and I are still interested in going. Jen's an intermediate, I'm closer to advanced. I haven't done any Moab stuff in years; and I've only done two routes there - so not very familiar. Thus, I'd prefer to join a group, rather than lead one; but if necessary, I'm sure I could find the routes there.

Jen and I will have whatever water protection we need if folks want to do water canyons.

We will also be camping; but don't yet know where. If a group is camping somewhere, we'll be happy to join...

Take care,
    A.J.

If you are planning on attending please respond to this post whether you are willing to lead a route or not. I would like to get a current count of who and how many are still coming. List your skill level also. One last item, list if you plan on being there for all 3 days or just the weekend etc. I would like to keep it around 30 people. 4 or 5 routes each day with 5 or 6 people in each group.
    Thanks
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark
    November is getting close so I thought we should start putting together a schedule. Looks like we have a pretty good sized group that plans on attending. First I need to see who is willing to volunteer to lead a route that they have previously done. I also need to know what you feel your experience level is. Expert-Intermediate-Novice-Total Noob.
    So if you could each post if you can lead a route and your talent level I will start to match up experience with noobs etc.

By volunteering to lead a route just means you have been there and know the way. You are not volunteering to guide the route. I copied this from the first post to give everyone a reminder of the basics.

We are just a bunch of friends meeting to do canyons together, this is not a class or a guided trip! If you lack rappelling skills find someone to take you out to practice before the Bogleyfest. In the slot is not the time to learn to rappel. This means you know how to clip in and rappel without help, you do not 'freak-out' on long or awkward rappels, you can at least dog paddle if your route contains water. If you feel you need help in the canyons let someone know.... but ultimately.... YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY!

If you are planning to do Lomatium or Krill there is a $5 charge to get into the fiery furnace. You also have to watch a 10 minute film and pass a test.

If you know where you are planning to stay list that also. I think we should have a pot luck but due to the time of the year it may be brisk at night for a barbeque. We could hit one of the resturants instead. Several resturants have some large sitting areas. Might be a better idea?

Mark

I'm still coming, Mark.

Complete Novice on the techie stuff, so no lead, but I've been taking properly-qualified lessons on rapelling (but I doubt up to the standard normally seen here on Bogley!). I'm quite happy on going over backwards, hooking in etc. Have my own equipment now.

I'll be around for all three days, and am willing to be advised/persuaded on what trips to do; I'm game for anything without water!

I may be camping, but if too chilly, I'll bail out to a motel. What's the intended campsite?

See you all there!
    Rob

Ice (Shane) - I've done a couple canyons before.
    Mrs. Ice (Shauna) - noob

Staying in motels and eating in restaurants. I have no motel reservations as of yet.

We're planning to be there Saturday and Sunday, and probably Friday (depends on work).

I'm happy to lead, follow or get out of the way.