Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Moab Bogley Fest - Nov 6-8, 2009

Moab Bogley Fest - Nov 6-8, 2009

Moab Bogleyfest - November 6-8, 2009
    Friday - Saturday - Sunday
    Meet at 8:00 a.m.

We will meet in the parking lot 1/2 mile north of the Colorado River on Highway 191 (1.5 miles south of the entrance to Arches National Park).

At our morning meeting we will divide up into groups for different routes. Most of the popular routes will be offered at least twice over the weekend. Ropes and webbing are always a welcome contribution to the groups.

Come prepared with a lunch and water for a full day.

Diner
    Thrusday - Moab Brewery 5:00 pm
    Friday - Fiesta Mexicana 7:00 pm
    Saturday - ZAC's Dinner and Utah game. Game starts at 4:00 pm so I'm sure some will be there at that time. Not sure what time diiner is planned.

Camping
    Some of those camping are planning on camping out Sand Flats (Slickrock bike trail). Sand flats is east of town.Turn east at the Phillips 66, find Dave's Corner Market go east at Dave's and follow that road up the hill.

Update Nov 2nd.
    As previously discussed we were going to meet at the parking lot of 128/191. They are using that lot for the building of the new bridge. So we are now going to meet at the lot North of the bridge. The one at the mouth of Courthouse Wash. Meet there each morning at 8:00 am. and we will divide up and hit the trail.

I was in moab last weekend and there was more water in Rock of Ages then I have ever seen. Two of the pools were crotch deep and cold. So come prepared to wade thru some water.

I have talked with several of the resturants in town and we will have not trouble getting group seating. I plan on having a meeting place for both nights. Moab Brewery or Fiesta Mexicana friday night and probably Zac's on Saturday. For those that want to watch the Utah game Zac's will let us have the whole patio area which has several TV's. They have the mtn. Unless something else comes up see you friday morning at the parking lot. Come prepared to hit the trail by 8:30, lunch etc.

Mark

Update Oct 27th.

Things are looking up in regards to route leaders. Do to the increase in support I will be able to put together a more detailed itinerary.

This will help me to narrow down the routes if everyone could post what are the two or three canyons your are most interested in doing.
    You can go to Climb-Utah.com and Deserthighlights.com to check out most all of the routes.

Update on Oct 19th.

Listed below are those that have responded and plan on attending. Unless otherwise listed I am planning on you for all 3 days. Looks like we have about 20 or so coming.

A.J. & Jen
    Accadacca Friday-Saturday morning
    CarpeyBiggs
    Deeps
    French De + 4
    Ice Axe and Mrs Ice
    Intrepid XJ
    Moab Mark +1
    Rob L.
    RockGremlin
    Ststephen
    Trailrunner + 1
    Wasatch
    Renshiwo + 1.7
    ScoutColorado + 1
    Horsevaulter + 1?
    I am sure there are several more wanting to attend. As well as several I have missed. I will be trying to put names to routes on this Friday. If you want in let me know by Friday.

If someone wants to pick a campsite for the campers please let me know, Sand Flats etc. If someone wants to organize a Sat night gathering also let me know. If no one steps up on a gathering I will call several of the resturants in town and see what group settings they have.
    I will be staying at Canyonlands Best Western.

Mark

Read below before asking questions:

Important! There is no cost for this trip, we are just a bunch of friends meeting to do canyons together, this is not a class or a guided trip! If you lack rappelling skills find someone to take you out to practice before the Bogleyfest. In the slot is not the time to learn to rappel. This means you know how to clip in and rappel without help, you do not 'freak-out' on long or awkward rappels, you can at least dog paddle if your route contains water. If you feel you need help in the canyons let someone know.... but ultimately.... YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY!

Equipment:
    Everyone is responsible for a harness, one locking biner, and a rappel devise that you know how to use! Helmets are advised, (bicycle helmets work for noobs).

Most Moab area canyons are dry, but some routes are wet... its up to you to know the difference and prepare properly. If the route is wet a shortie wetsuit is required as a minimum. You will also want a dry bag to keep anything you want to stay dry in. If you need equipment post and maybe someone else can help you out.

Canyoneering Gear
    http://climb-utah.com/Misc/gear.htm

Rope: We need several folks to bring ropes.

Group Motel:
    Aarchway 435-259-2599
    http://www.aarchwayinn.com/
    Has a nice BBQ area and you can pull around back and meet on the big grassy area.

I made a few phone calls
    Aarchway $79
    Super 8 $109
    Bighorn $69
    Those are some of the prices around town for November. I am surprised Aarchway was at $79.

Moab Mark (Mark & Kim) -Aarchway
    Ice Axe (Shane & Shauna)- ???

Group Campsite:
    I would recommend Sand Flats. Pick a couple of the spots right by Baby Lions Back. Close to town and can hop on your bike and hit the slickrock trail easily.
    The last Bogley group stayed at Big Bend by Corona Arch. That would also work.

Those Camping
    Wasatch-John

Proposed Routes:
    Big Horn
    Dragonfly Canyon
    Elephant Butte
    Entrajo Canyon
    Granary Canyon
    Lomatium
    Rock of Ages
    U-Turn
    Onion Creek
    Krill

Other Options:
    Cameltoe
    Medieval Chamber
    Pleiades (probably snowed in by November)
    Tierdrop Canyon

Information on all the routes listed above can be found here:

Moab and Arches NP Routes
    http://climb-utah.com/Moab/index.htm

Sign-up: As people list a canyon I will post it below. When we have an idea of how many want to do what then well see who will lead etc.

Elephant Butte
    Iceaxe
    Mrs. iceaxe
    Abirken
    Blueeyes
    Deeps & buddy
    BC-Skier-Bette & Buddy
    RockGremlin

Rock of Ages
    Moab Mark
    Neilether
    Jman+4
    RockGremlin

Lomatium
    Moab Mark
    Deeps & buddy
    Neilether-Neil

Krill
    Moab Mark
    Rockgremlin

Or Lomatium/Krill shortcut
    Moab Mark
    jman+4
    BC-Skier-Bette & Buddy

U-Turn
    Moab Mark
    Wasatch
    Abirken
    Blueeyes
    Deeps & buddy

Granary
    Wasatch
    Deeps & buddy
    Rockgremlin

Entrajo
    Wasatch

Dragonfly
    Deeps & buddy
    Wasatch
    Abirken

Cameltoe
    Wasatch

Onion Creek
    IntrepidXJ-Randy
    Jman+4
    Rob L.

Any Canyon
    Sombeech-Justin
    Ryebrye
    Utah Adventure Guide-Chris
    Trailrunner-Shaun?
    Carolednalena-Carol
    Accadacca
    A.J. & Jen
    Alliej
    Rob L.

Jeep/Bike/Hike
    IntrepidXJ
    Win

If you could also include your name Ill list them also.

If you see an error let me know.

A Note from Ice....

If there are non-techy people who want to join that is not a problem. Onion Creek is a great slot canyon and does not require technical skills. There are both tech routes and hiker routes in Onion Creek.

Most the "Canyons" around Moab are more what I call routes and not your traditional long slot canyons. The routes are really fun. Most the routes are beginner friendly with competent leadership.

For those wanting to experience a true southwest slot canyon than Onion Creek is your target. Entrajo is also a true slot but kinda short. Similar to Keyhole and Zero-G.

I'm pretty sure Pleiades will be out of season during the Bogleyfest as the trailhead is at 9000' elevation (higher than Snowbird or Alta). If a group wants to give it a try they will need drysuits or full 5mm wetsuits.

Dragonfly has two short swims of about 10' each. The swims are back-to-back. I usually skip the wet suit, and just strip down, blast through, dry off and continue. Any wetsuit (full, shortie, ect) should be good enough to get you through. A warm fleece to put on after the potholes is probably more important than a wetsuit.

Entrajo has water and will require wetsuits.

Rock of Ages can have some wading but I've only seen it dry.

Cameltoe often has a waist deep wade of 15'. Again, I just strip down, blast through and warm up on the far side. I've done this route using this method in a snow storm and was fine.

Most the routes in Moab are short (1/2 day or less) so you will normally do a couple different ones each day.

Granary is the one route on the list that is a full day.

Bear Grills was "stuck" in Fry Canyon. That canyon is 2.5 to 3 hours away. If folks want to do that canyon someone should plan a Cedar Mesa Bogleyfest. Fry canyon is next door to some great routes including The Black Hole, Cheesebox, Gravel, Short, Duckett, and a bunch more...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I think the hot young wife and I would be interested. And I could help with a couple of routes, my first choice being Elephant Butte because that is my favorite Moab route.

My only concern at the moment is the schedule of my football team. The only way this would interfere is if we go deep into the playoffs and even than I might be OK. I'll have my teams schedule dialed in by the end of August.

If you want to come list what canyons you would like to do. I will keep a list to see where people want to go. Then well narrow it down. Shane email me on how to get into the first post. So I can make changes as we go. Or if there is a better way to do it?
    Need to add Krill to the list.

It looks like I can just edit the first post. Is that the best way to do it?
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark
    It looks like I can just edit the first post. Is that the best way to do it?
    Yup.... you have the ability to edit the first post and that is the best way I know of to keep things organized.

Just keep the first post current with everything important so that is the only post folks need to look at... this thread will probably grow to 20 or 30 pages and I hate for folks to have to dig through that mess. If the first post contains everything important you are golden.

I'll try to make yet another bogleyfest, really, I'll try to make this one.

I've done Big Horn and Tierdrop, in the Moab area. I will be coming in late on the 7th Friday night, so I would be interested in doing 2-3 short canyons on Saturday, or a mid/long canyon on Saturday, and a short canyon on Sunday, with that said, I'm interested in:

Dragonfly
    Entrajo
    Granary
    U-Turn
    Cameltoe

Would also be interested in, any beta on these out there?:

Krill
    Lomatium

Also, more interested in a Group Campsite/Potluck.

I'd love to make this trip happen! Nice to have something closer to me. So I'd like to do:

Elephant Butte
    Dragonfly
    U-turn
    Honestly, I don't have a huge preference for canyons.....but I like them short and sweet. :)

Thank you very much for organizing and will look forward to getting a room booked soon.

Sounds like a good weekend for me to head to Moab to actually meet some of you.

However, I doubt I'll be doing any canyoneering.....but I can bring my Jeep and bike and maybe do some hiking, too...
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

As of now, you can count on me and Chris (Utah Adventure Guide) - if things change I'll keep you posted.

I want to find the canyon that Bear grills was "stuck" in so I too can make the genius decision to swim under a log jam half way, then turn around, then swim under it fully.

Are there any 4B canyons in the Moab area? Any 4B III or 4B IV would make me happy. If no 4B's, 3C's or 32 DD, whatever
    -----
    "It's a miracle curiosity survives formal education" - Albert Einstein

For a good time, check out my blog. or update the CanyonWiki

Quote Originally Posted by Ryebrye
    As of now, you can count on me and Chris (Utah Adventure Guide) - if things change I'll keep you posted.

I want to find the canyon that Bear grills was "stuck" in so I too can make the genius decision to swim under a log jam half way, then turn around, then swim under it fully.

Are there any 4B canyons in the Moab area? Any 4B III or 4B IV would make me happy. If no 4B's, 3C's or 32 DD, whatever
    The canyons are closer to 2A's then 4B's but I'll put you on the list.

Count me and a few others in. But only if we can get the original Uutah posse rolling strong. What do you say Mike, Justin, Shane, Alex, and Adam? I've never done anything in Moab so I'm open to suggestion.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Count me in. Bringing my bike. Would like to do a short sweet canyon. Maybe U-turn or Elephant Butte.

Suh-weet.

I'm most interested in Elephant Butte and U-Turn.

Anyone want to do anything in the Fiery Furnace? I've done the ranger thing once and gone through solo a few times, but I'd like to see 'more' of it.

depending on what days things happen on I'd also do Dragonfly, Granery, and the Bear Grills death hollow.

Please put me and an out of town buddy down for the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeps
    Suh-weet.

I'm most interested in Elephant Butte and U-Turn.

Anyone want to do anything in the Fiery Furnace? I've done the ranger thing once and gone through solo a few times, but I'd like to see 'more' of it.

depending on what days things happen on I'd also do Dragonfly, Granery, and the Bear Grills death hollow.

Please put me and an out of town buddy down for the above.

As far as I know the Bear Grillis death hollow is down around Fry Canyon. Several hours one way from Moab.
    If there is a big enough group that wants to head down there we can list it but I have no idea where exactly he filmed it.

You picked the WORST possible weekend, for me that is.
    Oh well Have fun!
    See you on the Trail

A few thoughts....

If there are non-techy people who want to join that is not a problem. Onion Creek is a great slot canyon and does not require technical skills. There are both tech routes and hiker routes in Onion Creek.

Most the "Canyons" around Moab are more what I call routes and not your traditional long slot canyons. The routes are really fun. Most the routes are beginner friendly with competent leadership.

For those wanting to experience a true southwest slot canyon than Onion Creek is your target. Entrajo is also a true slot but kinda short. Similar to Keyhole and Zero-G.

I'm pretty sure Pleiades will be out of season during the Bogleyfest as the trailhead is at 9000' elevation (higher than Snowbird or Alta). If a group wants to give it a try they will need drysuits or full 5mm wetsuits.

Dragonfly has two short swims of about 10' each. The swims are back-to-back. I usually skip the wet suit, and just strip down, blast through, dry off and continue. Any wetsuit (full, shortie, ect) should be good enough to get you through. A warm fleece to put on after the potholes is probably more important than a wetsuit.

Entrajo has water and will require wetsuits.

Rock of Ages can have some wading but I've only seen it dry.

Cameltoe often has a waist deep wade of 15'. Again, I just strip down, blast through and warm up on the far side. I've done this route using this method in a snow storm and was fine.

Most the routes in Moab are short (1/2 day or less) so you will normally do a couple different ones each day.

Granary is the one route on the list that is a full day.

Bear Grills was "stuck" in Fry Canyon. That canyon is 2.5 to 3 hours away. If folks want to do that canyon someone should plan a Cedar Mesa Bogleyfest. Fry canyon is next door to some great routes including The Black Hole, Cheesebox, Gravel, Short, Duckett, and a bunch more...

Thanks, Mark.

Will you add a placeholder for me to bring a non-Bogley buddy along on the routes? (I know they're not real routes yet, just interests, but I don't want to get the shaft)... Thanks.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    I'd be game for anything. Elephant Butte, Medival, Rock of Ages, Krill, Dragon fly, Tier Drop, Big Horn, really anything I'd be good for.

Since IntrepidXJ says he'll be 4X4 that weekend, any routes he can shuttle for us.

Would pliedes be flowing in november? Assuming an adequately equipped group (dry suits etc) would ice be an issue?

I've thought for a while of doing canyons with icey approaches and water not quite frozen, but I havent figured out how to mix crampons with drysuits... one slight trip might lead to a cold bady day :)

I wish I had known about onion creek earlier :) I was burning up in devils garden yesterday :)
    -----
    "It's a miracle curiosity survives formal education" - Albert Einstein

For a good time, check out my blog. or update the CanyonWiki

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner
    I'd be game for anything. Elephant Butte, Medival, Rock of Ages, Krill, Dragon fly, Tier Drop, Big Horn, really anything I'd be good for.

Since IntrepidXJ says he'll be 4X4 that weekend, any routes he can shuttle for us.

sure....but my Jeep only has 2 front seats ;)

I might be interested in Onion Creek since it sounds like that's not technical
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography