Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Helpful Guide - to Poaching Canyons

rangers can be "very very sneaky"
    Stop checking my spelling! I know I suck but I amn't in school anymor, so back off.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Folk could and should be more particular (careful) when entering zones where rangers are on drive by/or parked routes. Classic spots are top and bottom of Left Fork/Subway; Keyhole, Pine Creek and Spry. Particular challenge at Spry if a vehicle is left at the start and one has to shuttle back up. Myself/others in my group have never been tagged with a citation, but I've seen it happen a number of times in all of these areas and I've seen a range of courteous to rude when the rangers chat with and then interrogate canyoneers. Most/many rangers are respectful and professional; some are less than that (at times); sometimes "rangering" is boring and so when a citizen pops out of corner with a helmet on, a rope connected to a large pack or folk looking wet and worn (not the narrows) rangers come to attention and respond, and some ramp up.

BUMP....

With the current Zion permit talk I thought it would be a good time to bump this thread... that and it's also...

Throwback Thrusday!

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Our permit was for Das Boot only. Really? They actually think people will exit after Das Boot?
    We only got the permit for Das boot and exited like we were supposed to...we vowed to never let that happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by Cr8on View Post
    We only got the permit for Das boot and exited like we were supposed to...we vowed to never let that happen again.
    That's called "Das Hike"

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    A bureaucracy is where the rules and enforcement of the rules become more important than the goals.
    Thank you for that excellent quote.

Good bump.

The good news is that most canyoneers are probably not going to be too troubled by a little water boarding. The electrified wet steel wool sponges might be a different story.

I can't recall, is one given a numbered sticky to put into the window for the left fork parking lot? The lot itself is not so big so it is probably not so hard for the Rangers to swing by at one point and return later in the day and determine which cars are still there. Just saying. One needs to be aware that the Subway is very high profile for the Park Service.

BUMP - In honer of the recent Eye of the Needle thread.

And poaching Eye of the Needle when the Girl's Camp is being used is a very bad idea... not so hard when no one is there as you just have to avoid the caretaker.

opcorn:

When does the girls camp start and end?

11. Likes Don liked this post
    From what I can tell the camp is occupied on and off throughout the summer as different wards and stakes use the camp. My best guess is Sunday the camp would be empty as most LDS camps pack up and go home Saturday so they can make Sunday services. Also late fall after school has started would be my target date, October with the leaves changing and few people around would probably be ideal.

While canyoneers never had official permission to access through the camp it was canyoneers being asshats that got the access closed. If I remember correctly the slot is actually on the edge of another landowners property, but he never knew we were descending the slot as we were out of his sight and causing him no issues at the time.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    From what I can tell the camp is occupied on and off throughout the summer as different wards and stakes use the camp. My best guess is Sunday the camp would be empty as most LDS camps pack up and go home Saturday so they can make Sunday services. Also late fall after school has started would be my target date, October with the leaves changing and few people around would probably be ideal.

While canyoneers never had official permission to access through the camp it was canyoneers being asshats that got the access closed. If I remember correctly the slot is actually on the edge of another landowners property, but he never knew we were descending the slot as we were out of his sight and causing him no issues at the time.
    I disagree. My understanding is that they DO Sunday services at the camp. If you are going to poach, don't go through the camp. You can drop into the streambed near the second gate and follow that to the first drop.

Tom (or some random person posting as Tom)

14. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Tom, since you are a local, just get baptized and then become a youth volunteer. You could then enter the camp and say that you are patrolling the canyon just to make sure no youth happened to go in there and get lost and to make sure they didn't leave any trash behind in the camp that happened to make it into the drainage. Occasionally, you could recruit some friends to do the same.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

16. Likes darhawk, Taylor, Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Tom, since you are a local, just get baptized and then become a youth volunteer. You could then enter the camp and say that you are patrolling the canyon just to make sure no youth happened to go in there and get lost and to make sure they didn't leave any trash behind in the camp that happened to make it into the drainage. Occasionally, you could recruit some friends to do the same.
    Ha! That could be his calling!

Get that lost sheep back into the flock!

18. Likes Iceaxe liked this post