Thread: Gallon Jugs - a must

Gallon Jugs - a must

I rarely hear of others doing this, but whenever I'm backpacking, I take at least 2 empty 1 gallon jugs. Identical to milk jugs, but you can just buy the jugs filled with drinking water for about a buck each.

Very easy to tie on to the backpack and weigh almost nothing, I use one for water, one for maybe a gatorade mix. They're much easier to manage the storing/pouring of water than keeping it in your camelback, or even a collapsible bucket for washing.

Does anybody else take these on their trips?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Gallon Jugs - a must

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    I rarely hear of others doing this, but whenever I'm backpacking, I take at least 2 empty 1 gallon jugs. Identical to milk jugs, but you can just buy the jugs filled with drinking water for about a buck each.

Very easy to tie on to the backpack and weigh almost nothing, I use one for water, one for maybe a gatorade mix. They're much easier to manage the storing/pouring of water than keeping it in your camelback, or even a collapsible bucket for washing.

Does anybody else take these on their trips?

I hate having that much weight just flopping around on my pack so I usually use a couple of nalgine canteens (they colaps better too )
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Where did you get this brilliant idea?!

Are you carrying the water long distance that way or just bringing it for camp? I wouldn't want all that weight flopping around but for camp it makes sense to me.

A slightly more expensive option are these folding platypus sacks. They weigh nothing and fold down to nothing when empty.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Quote Originally Posted by ststephen
    Are you carrying the water long distance that way or just bringing it for camp? I wouldn't want all that weight flopping around but for camp it makes sense to me.

A slightly more expensive option are these folding platypus sacks. They weigh nothing and fold down to nothing when empty.
    No, they're empty when they're tied up like that. I carry the water in my bladder up top, the hose runs down my shoulder strap.

They're pretty much weightless when they're empty, that's why it's a no-brainer.

These are very easy to fill with the purifier, easy to carry around camp, they seal up with the screw on cap, and easy to pour out of.

No, they're empty when they're tied up like that. I carry the water in my bladder up top, the hose runs down my shoulder strap.

They're pretty much weightless when they're empty, that's why it's a no-brainer.
    aw OK.
    I was thinking you were packing around two full gallons of water on your pack

I carry containers that fold down and are small but this is a _great_ idea. As mentioned, light and cheap! Good thing about them is once used for something other then water, they can be recycled and replaced. Though, perhaps it's even better that they are washed out.

One time I tried to save milk jugs.

Do you know that smell of month old milk? It doesn't go away easily. Stick with jugs that previously contained water.

One time I tried to save milk jugs.

Do you know that smell of month old milk? It doesn't go away easily. Stick with jugs that previously contained water.
    If you fill the jug half full of hot water from the tap and add a few tablespoons of baking soda and shake it up until the soda dissolves, when the water is cool the undesirable tastes and smells will be gone. That's what I do with Powerade bottles. They're lighter than Nalgenes, only cost about a a buck with drink included, and plenty tuff enough.

Yes, I've used water jugs many times for backpacking and its a good idea.

That picture looks like may pack back in the day except you are missing the frying pan and stock pot to bang together with the jugs. I never saw wild game while hiking...... wonder why?
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    That picture looks like may pack back in the day except you are missing the frying pan and stock pot to bang together with the jugs. I never saw wild game while hiking...... wonder why?
    Frying pans and stock pots on backpack = industrial grade bear bells. . . .

folding platypus sacks
    I carry one of the 4 liter Playpus water tanks when there's just me and another if there's company. I hate having something swinging around hanging loose from my pack.

Quote Originally Posted by UTJetdog
    fill the jug half full of hot water from the tap and add a few tablespoons of baking soda and shake it up until the soda dissolves
    I do this with every new water bottle or jug including my Nalgenes. I find it to be very effective.
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...

Quote Originally Posted by UTJetdog
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    Frying pans and stock pots on backpack = industrial grade bear bells. . . .
    We used to pack up frying pans, then we realized we can just cook the fish in aluminum foil, a much lighter alternative.

Plus, you can just wad up the foil when you're done and toss it in the trees.

I have used jugs before, and will continue to do it.

I stop at a store near the trailhead, buy a gallon of water, when we get to the trailhead, we fill up our camelbacks and pack in the empty jug.

Sure beats filtering water several times a day. Saves time for other things, like doing nothing.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey